: Nav System Update Data Loss

JFJr
05-18-11, 04:00 PM
I was considering the purchase of a map data update disc ($199) from GM, but when I inquired, GM Nav Disc Center customer service informed me that all my address book data (saved destinations/contacts) would be lost as part of the process. If any of you with previous address book entries have not experienced this after an update, please share that. Otherwise, caveat emptor!

Jud

tedcmiller
05-18-11, 09:38 PM
I, personally, have not installed new maps on my 2009 CTS-V, but I do believe that the loss of saved data is not true. Installation of maps should not affect saved data.

Tuna
05-19-11, 09:20 AM
I have not updated the new "V" but when I updated my V1 or my Corvettes, I did not lose any personal data.

JFJr
05-19-11, 02:37 PM
I, personally, have not installed new maps on my 2009 CTS-V, but I do believe that the loss of saved data is not true. Installation of maps should not affect saved data.Yeah, I'm a little suspicious, too, but don't want to lose a few dozen contacts and thought it was better to put this on the forum to see if anyone has done the map upgrade without losing contact data. I assume that the nav program and saved data are all on the HDD and customer service did say that the HDD is overwritten with the disc, therefore my concern. Hopefully, saved contact data is in a separate file and not affected.

Jud

wait4me
05-19-11, 03:22 PM
It is in a totally different area on the hard drive where that data goes. I have not seen it request a wipe during the logging of the install process. I have seen the access password algorithms, and placement of the files on the harddrive after it unlocks it on initialization. Soon i will have a complete memory dump and structure figured out for all you guys. Including updates without needing Security keys.. "already have that part figured out" Once i find the place to upload 6gig files for you guys to download without it costing me a fortune, i will start putting up the files for everyone.