: Northstar in a 65 Corsa

vincentm
05-18-11, 11:37 AM
http://www.v8vairs.com/images/ParkerFrank/parker.htm

Submariner409
05-18-11, 02:28 PM
I had, and drove the snot out of, a 1964 Corvair Spyder - 4-speed turbocharged air cooled flat 6. Fun car, but WAY tail heavy.

I cannot imagine what the year-later same car would handle like with a Northstar drivetrain under it. A perfect candidate for a rehash of Ralph Nader's "Unsafe At Any Speed".

vincentm
05-18-11, 03:37 PM
I always liked the Corvairs, something about em i just like. Never drove one, but i imagine they are fun to drive.

Submariner409
05-18-11, 04:03 PM
I always liked the Corvairs, something about em i just like. Never drove one, but i imagine they are fun to drive.

Do some homework on Corvairs and turbocharging. You'll discover that the term "turbo muffler" actually came from GM with the introduction of the Spyder and described a muffler with increasing calibrated backpressure vs.exhaust system gas flow to regulate turbo output in the Corvair engine setup which had no wastegate. The turbo actually used a restricted flow single barrel side draft carburetor.

Aftermarket muffler companies now use the term as strictly bling for advertising. (If it's "turbo", "billet", "CNC" or "nano" it MUST be better.)

stoveguyy
05-19-11, 11:27 AM
we built a 66 corvair with a chevy smallblock in rear. used stock trans turned 180deg. we literally put it in car in 1 day and could have driven it. except for installing radiator. was so flippin easy. the N*/transaxle install looks like hell. dad sold fiberglas kit cars and there are many that use FWD motor/trans packages in a midship setup. actually quite easy. some time i will discuss the olds toronado 425/trans we put in a corviar greenbriar van. woohoo.

Robertsong
05-23-11, 01:43 PM
since most of the photos were from 2002 and 2003 can you share the status of the FParker 'Vair?

stoveguyy
05-25-11, 12:55 PM
the computer hookup seems challenging. you need the pcm and trans controller at least. how do you figure out what wires to cut for systems you don't need like abs, wheels speed sensors, suspension sensors? you need power to pcm but have to also make security issues go away.