: Dual Heat Exchangers - Parallel or Series?

550HP STSV
05-17-11, 11:44 PM
Hello All,

As you may know, I am going from my supercharger to a Flex-A-Lite heat exchanger to a front mount heat exchanger. After doing some research on the internet, I'm seeing the turbo guys always recommend using dual intercoolers in a parallel configuration to limit pressure drop.

Does the same hold true for heat exchangers, or should I go series configuration?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide some info. Im at a loss here.

DrumStix
05-18-11, 12:23 AM
It does not work the same in an air to water setup. Run whatever style u want as long as you can get the most air across it. In series would work fine. I would just get one big one though for packaging ease.

550HP STSV
05-18-11, 08:53 AM
Thanks. The STS-V is running much hotter due to the cores than the CTS-V, so we need as much cooling as possible. I feel with an additional pump this will increase the total amount of coolant and give it a higher chance to cool off.

Q8 6.2
05-19-11, 07:21 AM
Here is trick I use on my pickup truck air-water heat exchanger i will do it to the cts as well... I added a lip to the outside all around its sticking out 2 inch past the exchanger its like shroud but on the other side facing front now when the air hits the exchanger instead of just hitting it and escaping to the sides it's now traped and forced thru the exchanger.. I loggd iat and it is very effective...

Befor this mod I added another larger heat exchanger in line and it didn't do anything iat was exactly the same as single exchanger

cbloveday
05-19-11, 09:08 AM
Good stuff Q8

BLitzkrieg
05-19-11, 09:23 AM
In series. You want the water to return from the intercooler to the OEM exchanger then into the larger front mount. The rear exchanger is in the hotter location so you want the hot water to hit that first then continue to reduce temperature in the cooler front mount.

Q8 6.2
05-19-11, 09:56 AM
Good stuff Q8

Hey thank you man.

I haven't tried it yet on the cts so I don't know if it works

550HP STSV
05-19-11, 10:34 AM
So do you guys think two exchangers will be less beneficial than one? If anything, I think having a second exchanger is a better choice than just a heat exchanger additional reservoir, as it will do more for cooling as well.

BLitzkrieg
05-19-11, 02:35 PM
The more water volume that is located in a cool spot the more cooling capacity you will have.

wait4me
05-19-11, 03:17 PM
Series will be better as long as you have a pump that can handle the flow direction changes. Each time you add something it slows down flow to a point from the system. Adding the correct pump will minimize that issue. Just like a fish tank setup.. ;)

You want the most Fluid you can get as it takes longer for the fluid to heat up that way, but it also takes longer to cool it back down. So you need to make sure you have plenty of fresh air going to the cores.

BUT having to thick of a core will reduce performance, unless you force air thru with fans. So you need to choose a core thickness that will still allow unassisted air thru it at a decent rate for temp scrubbing.

550HP STSV
05-19-11, 07:34 PM
cross my fingers and hope. see ya next friday jesse!!!!!

550HP STSV
05-20-11, 12:43 PM
bump