: What happens if you get pulled over when...

agp
05-17-11, 11:55 PM
If you get pulled over for let's say speeding when you are driving someone else's car, with his/her insurance and registration and your own license, will you get in more trouble/ticket than for just speeding?

What if the person who whom the car is insured and registered to is in the car with you?

Rodya234
05-18-11, 12:09 AM
Well, none of my cars are in my name, so whenever I get pulled over it's in someone else's car. As long as you have permission from the registered owner to drive the car there shouldn't be a problem.

However, if the owner is the only driver on the insurance, that could be an issue. My dad's insurance cards say "Excluded drivers: None" so I can drive and still be covered by his policy, but other insurance cards may be different.

Other than that, a speeding ticket should just go on whoever is driving, as normal.

agp
05-18-11, 12:11 AM
But let's say I get pulled over when I'm driving the car that's insured and registered to a friend rather than a family member, what would happen?

ThumperPup
05-18-11, 02:09 AM
Well, none of my cars are in my name, so whenever I get pulled over it's in someone else's car. As long as you have permission from the registered owner to drive the car there shouldn't be a problem.

However, if the owner is the only driver on the insurance, that could be an issue. My dad's insurance cards say "Excluded drivers: None" so I can drive and still be covered by his policy, but other insurance cards may be different.

Other than that, a speeding ticket should just go on whoever is driving, as normal.

are you on your dad policy at all ?
if not do you live in the same house as he does ?

if you answer yes to the first 1 then your fine
if you answer no to the first 1 and yes to the second one then you could be in trouble
if you answer no to the first one and no to the second one then your ok

ThumperPup
05-18-11, 02:13 AM
But let's say I get pulled over when I'm driving the car that's insured and registered to a friend rather than a family member, what would happen?

not sure about where you live but in Ohio you have to show proofe of SR22 or some sort of Insurance just to get a license

also in Ohio and PA if you are driving a car that belongs to someone els and they have full coverage insurance aslong as you don't live with them
and if your not on the policy then it's ok to drive and your safe but
if your asking about getting a tiket and you don't have even a SR22 bond then you can be in trouble
if you dont have some sort of insruance in your name
not sure how other states work it
but when you go for your license you have to sighn a form saying you are insured

77CDV
05-18-11, 02:20 AM
If the registered owner is with you, he may get a ticket as well for failure to maintain control of his car. Unless the car comes back stolen, or your licence comes back with outstanding warrants, it should be treated as a normal traffic stop. The violation goes against the driver, not the car. The exception is when the moving violation is registered by a speeding camera. Then the ticket is mailed to the registered owner, and it's up to him to prove he wasn't the one driving the car when the violation occurred.

Oddly with non-moving violations (parking tickets), the violation goes against the car, not the driver. If someone uses your car and gets a parking ticket, the law holds the registered owner responsible, whether he was driving the car or not.

agp
05-18-11, 02:29 AM
So I'm driving my friend's car, and his registration and insurance is in the car, but he himself is not. I get pulled over for violation XYZ, then I will only get a ticket for XYZ but won't get a ticket for driving a car that's not mine?

maeng9981
05-18-11, 02:38 AM
Nope. You can drive someone else's car as long as you want if you have permission to drive (not a written one, it's fine when the owner knows you are driving the car and allows it) and the car is insured/clean.

agp
05-18-11, 02:43 AM
And this law is the same in all states?

Stingroo
05-18-11, 08:24 AM
Been pulled over recently, eh?

ThumperPup
05-18-11, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=77CDV;2596668] The exception is when the moving violation is registered by a speeding camera. Then the ticket is mailed to the registered owner, and it's up to him to prove he wasn't the one driving the car when the violation occurred.

One of my friends that live in Mi gets camera tickets all the time in PA and NJ so he says
he has never paid one of them he claims that they can't do anyting to you with being out of state on thsoe tikets wich im not sure if he is full of B.S or if its true but so far his licensee is still valid and he has not been forced to pay up in anyway for over 4 years but if he gets cought int that state then they can hall him in to court and hold him in jail till he pays up

DouglasJRizzo
05-18-11, 09:42 AM
If you get pulled over for let's say speeding when you are driving someone else's car, with his/her insurance and registration and your own license, will you get in more trouble/ticket than for just speeding?

What if the person who whom the car is insured and registered to is in the car with you?

In NJ, the violation, points, surcharges, etc go to the operator of the vehicle at the time of the alleged infraction. As long as the car is not on the "hot list" for stolen vehicles, you're ok. If the owner happens to be a passenger, the violations still go to the operator, not the owner.

ThumperPup
05-18-11, 09:47 AM
So I'm driving my friend's car, and his registration and insurance is in the car, but he himself is not. I get pulled over for violation XYZ, then I will only get a ticket for XYZ but won't get a ticket for driving a car that's not mine?

when i was driving a car that was not in my name registed to my dad
if i got pulled over they would always contact or try to contact the owner of the vehicle and make sure i had permision to be driving

after about 4 or 5 times of that going on
dad wrote a note addressed to whom it may concern that
my Son --------- ---- Has Permision to Drive this Vehicle Anywhere in the U.S.A The Vehicle is owned and registered to ( my Fathers name here )
but was bought for ( My name here )
( his Phone Number Here )
as Long as My son has a Valid U.S Drivers License he may Drive
If his License is not Valid then he does not have permission To Drive this Vehicle

it was Notarized and to be certified

This made it so they did not have to bother trying to get hold of him and did not have any chance at impounding or holding the car in case of suspicion
and also incase i had a in valid license he did not get in trouble for letting me use the car

ThumperPup
05-18-11, 09:49 AM
And this law is the same in all states?

each state has there own law
most states will respect other states laws on some things when it comes to Driving and Vehicle laws but not always
but you have to be able to show that its not a law in the state the vehicle is in
if your out of state in the vehicle they may want some other proof other then just saying i was given permission this happens to me back in 2004 driving a car from Cleveland to SF

ThumperPup
05-18-11, 09:50 AM

you took the words out of my mouth LOL

agp
05-18-11, 01:16 PM

Nope, I'm just paranoid. My friend was teaching me how to drive manual, and I was fearful I might get in an accident/ticket and then get in more trouble because it's not my ar.

ThumperPup
05-18-11, 01:38 PM
dont worry so much
when you start to worry and get peranoid things may happen
that is when they do start to happen

DouglasJRizzo
05-20-11, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE=77CDV;2596668] The exception is when the moving violation is registered by a speeding camera. Then the ticket is mailed to the registered owner, and it's up to him to prove he wasn't the one driving the car when the violation occurred.

One of my friends that live in Mi gets camera tickets all the time in PA and NJ so he says
he has never paid one of them he claims that they can't do anyting to you with being out of state on thsoe tikets wich im not sure if he is full of B.S or if its true but so far his licensee is still valid and he has not been forced to pay up in anyway for over 4 years but if he gets cought int that state then they can hall him in to court and hold him in jail till he pays up

If your state doesn't recognize tickets from NJ all is fine, UNTIL you get stopped in NJ again. They WILL arrest you, impound your vehicle, and haul you into court to pay any fines and court costs. They can hold you for quite a while.

Essentially, your "privilege" of driving in NJ is suspended until you pay up. I've heard of Pa residents tossing parking tickets in the trash and then getting stopped a year later and being pulled out of the car in cuffs.

M Charles
05-24-11, 01:53 AM
It would also depend on which state you are in. (All states have different laws.) More importantly than that it depends on the officer/deputy that pulls you over. They have discretion if they want to give a ticket or let you go with a verbal warning.

concorso
05-24-11, 11:50 AM
Nope, I'm just paranoid. My friend was teaching me how to drive manual, and I was fearful I might get in an accident/ticket and then get in more trouble because it's not my ar.I house-sat for my best bud for a summer, and put a few hundred miles on his Gallardo. Getting in an accident in someone elses' car would be much worse then getting a ticket in someone elses' car... Traffic tickets are cheap compared to OEM lambo parts.