: Tire Mounted Wrong From Factory

serturbo
05-17-11, 01:10 PM
I just noticed that one of mine is mounted with the outside of the tire facing in. Just wondering if any of you have had this happen too. Kinda funny. I guess the factory worker that mounted mine had a brain fart. LOL

baabootoo
05-17-11, 01:14 PM
Hmmmmmm. On a new car? Yeah, that is pretty odd. You'd think with all the Cadillac inspectors AND the dealer inspection.

khoeysr
05-17-11, 05:00 PM
Plus the PS2's have "OUTSIDE" marked on them.

serturbo
05-17-11, 05:36 PM
Yeah, it's a bit weird to screw up something so simple. Now, I'm going to have to pay a tire shop to fix it. I guess I could bring it to the dealership and have it fixed under warranty, but I don't think I wanna trust them with wheel/tire stuff. It's not like they do it often, so there's a high probability of them messing it up.

thatcoder
05-17-11, 05:47 PM
i'd do the dealer.. the break it, they fix it..

a tire shop, scratches ur wheels.. and there's more to worry about then.

tbss08
05-17-11, 06:15 PM
Last dealer did my rims scratched all four.

dvandentop
05-18-11, 12:55 AM
frient had that with his new 2009 gtr it was mounted the wrong way

serturbo
05-18-11, 02:34 AM
MReiland is going to try to find out how it could happen. I sent him some pix.

odla
05-18-11, 07:07 AM
can we see some pics?

serturbo
05-18-11, 12:07 PM
This is the driver side rear tire that is mounted correctly.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/serturbo/CTS-V/P5170006.jpg

And this is the incorrectly mounted passenger side rear tire.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/serturbo/CTS-V/P5170005.jpg

e6t
05-18-11, 12:39 PM
NOTHING would surprise me.

BluMachine
05-18-11, 01:39 PM
Just went through this with a local dealer. I got the car used this past August. Getting ready for Power Tour, so got new Michelin PS2 drop shipped. Take the car in for tie rod recall, and at the same time get oil, trans and diff fluids replaced along with getting the tires installed and alignment. I had also requested road force balancing.

Went to pick up the car and was told road force was not done because it's not recommended for new tires. First time I'd heard this and I know many premium car makers routinely do road force from the factory. It was cheaper, so they claimed they saved me some money. The alignment was not done (I had agreed to pay for front since they had to do back anyway with tie rod recall), and was told it was perfect, so once again they claim to save me money. I look at the alignment printout, and it is within spec, but very light on camber.

Go out to inspect the car, and they scratched the hell out of one rear wheel (gouged 360* on the face). The service director comes out, shakes his head and agrees to order a new wheel. Fortunately for me, this wheel was the only one with curb rash when I got the car so at least this will go away.

I get the car home and am looking over the tires/wheels closely and then notice 2 tires are mounted inside out. I call my new best friend the service director, and get an apology and it will be fixed when the new wheel comes in. While I have them on the ropes, I told him about the road force balance, and he agrees to comp it for me.

Bring the car back for the new wheel and get the 2 backwards tires remounted, and I discuss alignment and my desire to have it closer to spec and I'm willing to pay. Come back to pick up the car, and now one of my new rear PS2s is out of spec for road force balance. This is exactly the reason I wanted road force in the first place. They set the alignment to the specs I requested. This visit was comped by the dealer.

I contact Tirerack. They drop ship me a new tire no questions asked. Bring the car back to the dealer again and they install the tire for free while I waited.

The dealer did give me a loaner car for the first 2 visits, and in the end provided the services I wanted.

The take home... inspect and verify. This dealer also sells and services Rolls, Bentley, Aston Martin and Lotus. They also employ a $10/hour tire changer who cost them way more than they charged me for the work performed.

Sorry for the long post.

hulksdaddy
05-18-11, 03:29 PM
I'm going to look at my tires when I get home tonight.

Busabob
05-19-11, 07:04 AM
NOTHING would surprise me.

Amen to that! My brother used to audit GM plants in the early '90's, I could tell some stories about the average UAW worker.......

I'm going to look at my tires when I get home tonight.

Ha-ha, you and probably every other member on here! I just replaced mine so I know they're right!

Busabob
05-19-11, 07:06 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/serturbo/CTS-V/P5170005.jpg

I like the angle iron stop, my wife could use one of those. She's gently rammed her Lexus into my storage rack on numerous occasions, what really scares me is I store my BEER on that rack!!

hulksdaddy
05-19-11, 10:42 AM
All tires on the right way!:dance:

serturbo
05-19-11, 12:40 PM
I like the angle iron stop, my wife could use one of those. She's gently rammed her Lexus into my storage rack on numerous occasions, what really scares me is I store my BEER on that rack!!

Metal works best for me. Tried 2x4, but wood moves around too easily. One of my friends uses a tennis ball that's hung from the ceiling.

GM-4-LIFE
05-19-11, 01:43 PM
I am not surprised. When I got my 2011 CTS-V coupe, I noticed that the passenger side exit button bezel had the standard CTS' aluminum finish, but the driver's side was piano black. Dealer ordered me a new passenger side piano black bezel and replaced it for me. I really didn't care as I love the car more than any other GM vehicle I have ever had. Either the factory ran out of CTS-V piano black passenger side exit button bezels and wanted to get the car shipped out ASAP or someone at the factory made a mistake and grabbed the wrong one. I truly think they didn't want to hold the car up from shipping from the plant and they just completed it in hopes that it wouldn't get noticed or that the delivering dealer would replace it. I am glad they didn't wait as I wanted to get the car as fast as I could!

I took pictures of both door panels and sent them to my salesperson, James Quinn at Les Stanford Cadillac, who got in touch with the factory to let them know of the issue. They jumped right on it quicker than I have ever seen GM do since 1994, when I purchased my first GM vehicle. I was impressed by GM's response to make sure quality control was in place, so that this wouldn't happen to anyone else. The new GM is nothing like the old GM.

Here are pics of both door panels. It took me a few days of driving the car to really notice it.

Passenger Side Door Panel:

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg388/DRVTWIN/6917de10.jpg

Driver Side Door Panel:

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg388/DRVTWIN/37614ba0.jpg

elevated
05-19-11, 07:55 PM
Gotta love Union workers.

Wannago
05-19-11, 11:06 PM
Gotta love Union workers.

My sentiments exactly...why things like this, leaky sunroofs etc. happen:

http://members.shaw.ca/thomper/UnionLabor.jpg