: excessive wear on 2009 suede steering wheel

kstoff
05-17-11, 01:40 PM
Does anyone have experience dealing with getting the warranty to cover unusual wear on the suede steering wheel. my '09 CTS-V has 20k on it and the suede on the steering wheel has literally worn off. Is this something the dealer will cover with warranty? I called and they said they would look at it to make a decision. They also said if it isn't covered I would have to buy a whole new steering wheel to fix. Thanks for the info/suggestions.

Kyle

baabootoo
05-17-11, 02:17 PM
Do you mean the stitching has come apart, or the actual suede is worh through? I can't see the suede wearing through unless someone picks at it with something. This happens a lot on fleet cars.

EVIL_C5
05-17-11, 02:22 PM
unless something was used on it to clean it, i cant imagine why it would come apart. I have seen the microfiber suede get matted down from hand oils and such, but a quick clean with some dry steam and a gentle brush get it to fluff back up.

it not a super expensive part, so not sure why they would give you too hard of a time.

can you post pics of the damage?

kstoff
05-17-11, 02:51 PM
unless something was used on it to clean it, i cant imagine why it would come apart. I have seen the microfiber suede get matted down from hand oils and such, but a quick clean with some dry steam and a gentle brush get it to fluff back up.

it not a super expensive part, so not sure why they would give you too hard of a time.

can you post pics of the damage?

Will try and post pics tonight. Like you state above, the microfiber suede looks matted down really bad. It could just need cleaned. My initial thought was that it had worn but you may be right in that it simply needs cleaned. What is the best way to go about doing that? Thanks for the info.

EVIL_C5
05-17-11, 03:07 PM
I usually only clean the alcantera with my dry vapor steamer and a clean microfiber to heat transfer the dirt.

where are you located?

thebigjimsho
05-17-11, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I'm over 25k miles and my wheel looks good as new. A new wheel wouldn't be super expensive, however. Some have already swapped theirs out, or in...

kstoff
06-24-11, 12:52 AM
Forum will not let me reply to private messages. If you are interested in the steering wheel and shift knob I have available put your e-mail address in your PM so that I may get back to you.

M5eater
06-24-11, 09:42 AM
even if they deny it, I would not make too big a fuss, a Brand new suede wheel *and* knob set me back $260 iirc. the wheel by itself was $180 or so, which btw is an *amazing* price.

Razorecko
06-24-11, 02:13 PM
You can clean the suede with "Dawn" original dish soap and a microfiber cloth. Than just rinse it off with water, dry it up and let it naturally dry. It'll be like new. Its just matted really bad. The suede is super durable and will not scrub off if you rub it down with soap and water. If black stuff starts coming off the wet rag that its just the dirt.

Razorecko
06-24-11, 02:17 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/203298-cleaning-suede-wheel-shiftknob.html

^ here ya go, even with pics

Busabob
06-24-11, 04:58 PM
Mine seems to be "crushed" somewhat in key hand hold places at 24k miles. I am totally OCD about touching the wheel with wet/sticky/dirty hands, I even slip one of those protective rings on it on the rare occasion I have it washed (other than be me) or serviced. I'll probably try what the others have posted, it's synthetic so water and mild soap shouldn't hurt it.

M5eater
06-24-11, 05:21 PM
Mine seems to be "crushed" somewhat in key hand hold places at 24k miles. I am totally OCD about touching the wheel with wet/sticky/dirty hands, I even slip one of those protective rings on it on the rare occasion I have it washed (other than be me) or serviced. I'll probably try what the others have posted, it's synthetic so water and mild soap shouldn't hurt it.

are you talking about a $10 walmart cover or something more fancy?

Razorecko
06-24-11, 08:34 PM
I've washed my steering wheel thouroughly once and my shift knob like 3 times. Totally perfect, no missing suede from either

Busabob
06-24-11, 11:39 PM
They use them at high end dealerships, kinda like a shower cap for a steering wheel. Totally disposable. I just slip it on when it goes in, and slip it off when they're done. It's obviously there so they don't goo up my suede wheel.