: Cam swap question?

aj660
05-17-11, 01:33 PM
I'm going to have the GT9 cam installed instead of my current cam. I honestly don't even know what cam specs are currently on my car. Jesse installed a cam a few months ago, but the cam specs he verbally gave me doesn't match what's on my receipt. I've also been told recently by several experienced tuners that my car isn't responding to the cam that's in my car.

Question:
My wait4me receipt says that I currently have comp 680 dual springs and titanium retainers. Does anyone here now if I can use these springs/retainers with a GT9 cam? Tim at Lingenfelter recommended I go with comp 921 dual springs but he did say that I may be able to use my current springs; however, he didn't know the specs of the comp 680 springs. Lingenfelter's springs/retainers are more than $600 so I'd prefer to use my current ones if possible. Anyone know?

Razorecko
05-17-11, 01:36 PM
You still didnt put on headers did you ?

aj660
05-17-11, 01:58 PM
I'm trying to fix the problem first. My friend's nearly stock 2011 Sedan CTS-V was almost dead even with my car from 60-120.

This was very frustrating as you can imagine. Some of the tuners I've spoken with told me that headers will be helpful but there's something else wrong and it appears to be my cam.

JOEYCTS-V
05-17-11, 02:22 PM
Jesse installed a cam a few months ago.

Are you sure he installed a different cam? Your car sounds bone stock.

aj660
05-17-11, 05:10 PM
Lol good question... I took my car recently to ECS in NJ to fix my a/f issue. The tuner didn't believe me when I told him that my car has a cam. He said "your car doesn't have a cam" and I showed him the receipt from wait4me. He then finally said "oh okay."

Domsz06
05-17-11, 05:22 PM
Lol good question... I took my car recently to ECS in NJ to fix my a/f issue. The tuner didn't believe me when I told him that my car has a cam. He said "your car doesn't have a cam" and I showed him the receipt from wait4me. He then finally said "oh okay" but he still had a strange look on his face. I know something isn't right.

before you put a cam in why don't you have a shop dyno tune it? I'm assuming you just used a mail order. Might talk to Mike TexaSS he had a customer with one of Jessee's cams and he tuned it really good. Drop him a PM.

PhxTriode
05-17-11, 08:15 PM
if its an ls9 cam it will idle bone stock

DrumStix
05-17-11, 08:44 PM
Lol good question... I took my car recently to ECS in NJ to fix my a/f issue. The tuner didn't believe me when I told him that my car has a cam. He said "your car doesn't have a cam" and I showed him the receipt from wait4me. He then finally said "oh okay" but he still had a strange look on his face. I know something isn't right.

Easy way to tell. Pull the valve cover and one spring, set a cylinder on base circle, Put a mic on the tip of the push rod and measure the lift. Mult * 1.7 and if it comes out at 480 you got pumped, not pimped. I doubt any tuner would so that though.

Mike TexaSS
05-17-11, 10:49 PM
Wow drum you make it sound easy. Lol the man is correct.

aj660
05-18-11, 12:24 AM
before you put a cam in why don't you have a shop dyno tune it? I'm assuming you just used a mail order. Might talk to Mike TexaSS he had a customer with one of Jessee's cams and he tuned it really good. Drop him a PM.

Thanks, I did have it dyno tuned. This is when I was told that something doesn't appear to be right with my cam.

aj660
05-18-11, 12:27 AM
Easy way to tell. Pull the valve cover and one spring, set a cylinder on base circle, Put a mic on the tip of the push rod and measure the lift. Mult * 1.7 and if it comes out at 480 you got pumped, not pimped. I doubt any tuner would so that though.

Thanks, but unfortunately, I'm not very mechanical lol.. Maybe ECS can check for me.

DrumStix
05-18-11, 01:27 AM
Thanks, but unfortunately, I'm not very mechanical lol.. Maybe ECS can check for me.

They can do it for an hours labor or so. Good luck.

DrumStix
05-18-11, 01:32 AM
Wow drum you make it sound easy. Lol the man is correct.

What's a piston?

Drum

Domsz06
05-18-11, 09:01 AM
Thanks, I did have it dyno tuned. This is when I was told that something doesn't appear to be right with my cam.

oh ok cool.

Hope you really do have a cam in there. I hope to get a gt9 in this winter :)

Domsz06
05-18-11, 09:02 AM
What's a piston?

Drum

they have holes in them don't they? :D