: New to Cadillacs-Looking @ 2010 STS V8 & have questions about Cadillac Certified

HoosierGal62
05-17-11, 12:17 PM
Husband is dead-set on the STS V8. We found a 2010 online w/ with less than 15,000/miles that is Cadillac Certified. Not in our town though so until we actually travel 5 hours to see the car we're limited to the information we have received/researched. Everything looks good so far & quoted pricing acceptable. All pictures & video look good, CarFax report clean. Am I mistaken to hold a large amount of confidence in the Cadillac Certified designation? Since this is out of town I really hate to travel a distance to find that the car isn't what it seems. Am I missing anything...something I need to ask--or look into? Again--this is all new to us & would greatly appreciate help or suggestions.

KRSTS
05-17-11, 03:26 PM
If a Cadillac dealer is selling it as a Certified Pre-owned (CPO) vehicle your good to go. You will get a six year (from in-service date which may have been late 2009, the carfax should tell you that) or 100K miles, bumper to bumper warranty. I guess if it was previously certified it is also transferable to a new owner. I bought my 08 in 08 as a CPO, have driven it over three years and have over two years left on the warranty. Never paid a dime for repairs.

HoosierGal62
05-17-11, 04:24 PM
I greatly appreciate your reply. I was hoping that the fact that it is a Cadillac Certified would be a big PLUS. As I said--I can't see anything at this point that would keep me from purchasing the car, but would like to have a certain level of confidence before we make the 5 hour trip.

John Wicz
05-17-11, 05:22 PM
If a Cadillac dealer is selling it as a Certified Pre-owned (CPO) vehicle your good to go. You will get a six year (from in-service date which may have been late 2009, the carfax should tell you that) or 100K miles, bumper to bumper warranty. I guess if it was previously certified it is also transferable to a new owner. I bought my 08 in 08 as a CPO, have driven it over three years and have over two years left on the warranty. Never paid a dime for repairs.

Is there more than one type of "CPO"? I recently purchased an '09 CPO STS and it only added 12 months or 12,000 miles to the end of the original factory warranty (6 years and 100,000 miles Powertrain Limited Warranty) .....................?

Oops, the dealer had a clerical error and had not sent in the Certification information. Glad that I read this thread.

To the OP, yes 6 years/100k miles.

EChas3
05-17-11, 09:55 PM
CPO terms did change in April 2009. It's still the best of all extended warranties.

Jmac572
05-18-11, 08:30 AM
Absolutely the best.... my 2005 is still under factory CPO warranty for another 3 months, I recently had a single LED go out on my taillight, they replaced the entire taillight assembly, I also had the antenna in the drivers door handle go and again put on an entirely new door handle all free of charge, pretty good for a 6 year old Cadillac

MacMuse
05-19-11, 06:19 PM
yep, CPO (the official GM/Cadillac version) rocks. I just got a headlamp and turn signal changed for free.

Although as mentioned, the terms did change slightly in '09 but it's still a great value.

turnne
05-20-11, 07:28 AM
CPO terms did change in April 2009. It's still the best of all extended warranties.

LOL...here we go

as compared to what other specific luxury manufacturers?

IMO...they are all pretty much the same..ie...each have their nuances and depending on your specific situation one could be better( or worse)
I would call that at best a wash

The ones that stick out in my mind...are the manufacturers that will let the dealer certify their cars at 6 model years old and up to 80K miles and put it back under factory warranty ...as Lexus and Acura do

I would imagine that would do wonders for the resale of a 7 year old Caddy..if GM would recertify( and warranty) its older cars

Imagine that..you could certify a 06 STS with 70-80K miles on it

As it is now...after warranty point the value really falls on these
Hence..one of the reasons why I am seeing 05's STS at under $10K

Warren