: Thinking of straying

outsider
05-17-11, 10:14 AM
My girlfriend is finally tired of her tiny littler mercury cougar...

Wanted to get her into a Cadillac but then I found a deal that's almost too good to be true.

2000 Lincoln Continental for $1500. 81k miles. Runs great, needs some brake work but nothing major. Body is mint, a few small chips in the paint. No rust.

My buddy is a ford mechanic and we're ganna go look at it more closely tonight.

I will put some pics after I purchase it ;)

csbuckn
05-17-11, 01:53 PM
Lincolns are not allowed here...unless it has suicide doors!! Make sure the brake lights/blinkers work correctly, the wires strip in the column where the column tilts. Pretty common problem for them.

outsider
05-17-11, 02:12 PM
Thanks. I did test all of the lights but that's good info to know!

I wish it had suicide doors. A nice 60's continental would be great because I've always wanted suicide doors but she wants something decent on gas and at 16 city 25 highway this will be better than a 60's car for her :)

Fleetwood70
05-17-11, 03:39 PM
$1500 sounds legit.
My dad bought 2000 Lincoln Continental for $2000 few years ago, but with 115k miles. It also had problems with brakes. As soon as he replaced everything brake related, rotors warped almost immediately, so stay away from cheap rotors. New battery will die in about 4 days if you let the vehicle just stay and don't drive it. Later had to replace steering rack. Front struts were already replaced, and transmission was rebuilt, so expect the transmission to go out soon. Also airbag light was on and side airbags didn't work when it was crashed about 50k miles later.

cadillac_al
05-17-11, 03:49 PM
I rode in a Lincoln of about that year and the rear air suspension had been converted to something less expensive and I was very surprised how rough the thing rode. I got out of that and into a Chevy truck that felt three times smoother. All you can do is check it over the best you can and hope for the best if the ride is acceptable right now.

Jesda
05-17-11, 05:33 PM
I like all Continentals. My only complaint is seating comfort.

I love the two-tone interior, analog clock, and fluorescent displays.
http://images.dealerrevs.com/gallery/photo.php?id=42997623

Nice deal!!

Stingroo
05-17-11, 05:43 PM
Paging Ian. Hasn't he owned a few of these?

I would imagine, like all Fords, watch out for air suspension.

ThumperPup
05-17-11, 06:23 PM
ok here we go Lincolns rock
the Continental is a great riding car i loved it
If i found a 01 or 02 in Supurb Mint Condition Low miles and right price id go for it in a heart beat
but just personally from Experience im staying away from the 95-2000 Continental because of that Ford Torus Transmission they slapped in that heavy Continental to much weight to much power with the INtech 4.6 to be matched with that crappy Tranny

But i do miss my Continental all the same i loved the seats they where so comfy
even the boring highway ride cross country what a rush

im a bit bi-us bias when it comes to the Continental cause it was my very first car ever

also one of the most pain in the but cars to put a Indash Navi in cause i had to cut up indside the das and all cause the Regular unit may have a double din face but its only a Din and half unit when you pull it out
there audio system rocks at least i loved it

it only has air ride in the back from 97-02 in the Continental they did away with the front air ride in 97
the rear shocks yeah the bads are known to leak in them but if you go to look at it and its been sitting for a week or 2 and its on the ground don't automatically think its leaking cause they do that best way i ever found in the Lincoln to check for leaks in the shocks is easy
cause you can turn it on let it pump up and shut it off from the trunk don't turn the car off just get out and shut the switch in the trunk off then turn the car off
wait a day if it doesn't go down the your good
if you don't have that kind of time get nuder there with a spray bottle and soapy water spray the air shocks look for leaks nothing your good
good solid cars only problem with the continentals i have ever found are the trannys they are temperamental but they are piste at ford for matching them with a engine they can't keep up with lol

outsider
05-17-11, 11:01 PM
so ended up buying it. this will be a good car for my girlfriend. pics in the morning :)

thanks for the info guys :D

Playdrv4me
05-18-11, 05:59 AM
I'm always surprised to hear of all the problems with these. One of these was my first car in 2001, and it was a 1996 with 80k at the time. The engine and transmission were faultless for a few years and 40 or 50,000 miles of real abuse by me and my brother, especially once the paint started to go (typical '90s Ford paint problems). Other than that we had a broken door handle (i hear this is common), and air suspension replacement under warranty. These days you can just throw in a coil spring conversion and be done with the air ride for good once it goes. It is true that these are nothing more than glorified Tauruses though (and had been since 1986) so I guess throwing a V8 on top of that transmission is probably not the best combination if you are going to be beating on it all the time.

As a matter of fact, the used car market is so crappy right now that I am also considering one of these as a replacement for our Expedition. The Continental is basically the Seville for people who don't want to put with Seville issues. Similar engine design and layout, similar gauge cluster, and a little more space on a beer budget. You sacrifice the polish, driving prowess and beauty of the Seville of course.

DouglasJRizzo
05-18-11, 08:44 AM
My girlfriend is finally tired of her tiny littler mercury cougar...

Wanted to get her into a Cadillac but then I found a deal that's almost too good to be true.

2000 Lincoln Continental for $1500. 81k miles. Runs great, needs some brake work but nothing major. Body is mint, a few small chips in the paint. No rust.

My buddy is a ford mechanic and we're ganna go look at it more closely tonight.

I will put some pics after I purchase it ;)

Sounds like a decent ride, especially for the money. If it's equipped with the air ride suspension (many Lincolns are) make sure the bladders aren't leaking, they're very expensive to replace.

ThumperPup
05-18-11, 08:55 AM
I'm always surprised to hear of all the problems with these. One of these was my first car in 2001, and it was a 1996 with 80k at the time. The engine and transmission were faultless for a few years and 40 or 50,000 miles of real abuse by me and my brother, especially once the paint started to go (typical '90s Ford paint problems). Other than that we had a broken door handle (i hear this is common), and air suspension replacement under warranty. These days you can just throw in a coil spring conversion and be done with the air ride for good once it goes. It is true that these are nothing more than glorified Tauruses though (and had been since 1986) so I guess throwing a V8 on top of that transmission is probably not the best combination if you are going to be beating on it all the time.

From what i can rememeber and i did more research on these Lincolns back in my spare time back in the day then most have ever done on one single car LOL
at least as a consumer

i cam to the conclusion and found that many others did also
the main reason they put that 4.6 in at first was because ppl where tired of pulling out into traffic i with that old 3.8 no power when the foot goes to the gas afraid they are going to get rear ended
so they wanted to give more pick up and go for pulling into traffic
this ones one of the first compliments these new renovated model received in 1994 when it was first released int he 95 year model

ThumperPup
05-18-11, 09:03 AM
If i where looking at a Contiental right now
this one here is what id be looking at
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/ctd/2375686863.html

outsider
05-18-11, 09:25 AM
Here are some pics. My '87 snuck into them just to say hi :)
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab227/CadillacMatt/IMG00690-20110518-0819.jpg
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab227/CadillacMatt/IMG00689-20110518-0819.jpg
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab227/CadillacMatt/IMG00688-20110518-0819.jpg

ThumperPup
05-18-11, 10:10 AM
wow now thats nice
love that color awesome with the hint of chrome

funny how looking at it remind me how Ford decided to never change the door handles LOL
figure thye can always make money of someone needing to replace them every several years LOL

aloso love how they keep a few of the body parts no matter what
give you a hint what body bpart is the same on the 98-02 models that is the same on the 95-97 and im not talking about the door handle first to win gets a cookie LOL

Playdrv4me
05-18-11, 04:11 PM
The doors, door handles, roof, and glass are all the same from 1995-2002.

outsider
05-18-11, 04:16 PM
Nice, that's good info to have incase I need to replace any of that stuff :)

ThumperPup
05-18-11, 05:19 PM
The doors, door handles, roof, and glass are all the same from 1995-2002.

hey i was hoping someone would know that lol
i just wanted to see if anyone knew
so i threw that out there

Aron9000
05-18-11, 05:56 PM
If i where looking at a Contiental right now
this one here is what id be looking at
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/ctd/2375686863.html

That is nice, I really like those wheels. Gives it that old "hot rod Lincoln" look to it.

Did these cars come with a dual exhaust from the factory? I mean two pipes, x-pipe, two mufflers, two cats sort of setup like a Mustang. Cause I would totally put an obnoxious exhaust on that silver Continental if it would sound like a Mustang.

DouglasJRizzo
05-18-11, 06:09 PM
Very nice car and a good buy!

Stingroo
05-18-11, 06:13 PM
Volvo wheels, really?

Odd.

ThumperPup
05-18-11, 06:16 PM
That is nice, I really like those wheels. Gives it that old "hot rod Lincoln" look to it.

Did these cars come with a dual exhaust from the factory? I mean two pipes, x-pipe, two mufflers, two cats sort of setup like a Mustang. Cause I would totally put an obnoxious exhaust on that silver Continental if it would sound like a Mustang.

The Continental did not have a true Dual it had a dual but not true dual from the Factory if you want a True dual you had to go with a 94 -97 Mark VIII LSC model those had true Dual From the Factory

ThumperPup
05-18-11, 06:17 PM

Im actualy going to be up Near Steerling Hts this weekend i might stop by and take a look at it on Saturday

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-20-11, 12:42 AM
I wonder why those Continentals never sold as well as their competition...

Playdrv4me
05-20-11, 05:22 AM
I wonder why those Continentals never sold as well as their competition...

Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but quite frankly the Continental's only genuine competitor was the Cadillac Seville. Unfortunately, the 1986-1994 Continental was a pile of trash to begin with, so even back then the less than popular short body Seville was still a significantly better car. Once the long body Seville showed up, the Continental's fate as second-tier material was essentially sealed... Northstar problems aside, the Continental is just not on the same level.

In traditional Ford fashion, the mechanicals were decent enough (in other words, aside from the mistake of carrying over the Taurus transmission, it was a pretty bulletproof and competitively powerful drivetrain), but as usual the details were completely half assed. Get out of a Seville and into a Continental and you pretty much immediately feel as if you've stepped from Brooks Brothers into JC Penney. Sure, it's still "good", but the Seville drives better, offers more technology, has a significantly more upscale interior (though this gap is closing as both interiors begin to age) with more soft touch surfaces and just looks like a true luxury car. By contrast, the Continental looks like what it is when examined from certain angles... a glorified and extended Mercury sable with a V8 shoe-horned in.

So really, in a performance sedan market that at the time was rapidly crowding with plenty of good Japanese and European competition, the Continental just ended up in the Seville's shadow. Like I said though, as time passes and many of the fit and finish problems in the Seville become more apparent, the Continentals are slowly becoming a nearly as enjoyable overall option.

What's interesting is that in reality, the Seville was only around for two more years than the Continental in its most directly competitive form... so it's not as if the Continental did a terrible job for itself hanging around from 1986-2002 (in FWD form).

ThumperPup
05-20-11, 08:33 AM
In traditional Ford fashion, the mechanicals were decent enough (in other words, aside from the mistake of carrying over the Taurus transmission, it was a pretty bulletproof and competitively powerful drivetrain), but as usual the details were completely half assed. Get out of a Seville and into a Continental and you pretty much immediately feel as if you've stepped from Brooks Brothers into JC Penney. Sure, it's still "good", but the Seville drives better, offers more technology, has a significantly more upscale interior (though this gap is closing as both interiors begin to age) with more soft touch surfaces and just looks like a true luxury car. By contrast, the Continental looks like what it is when examined from certain angles... a glorified and extended Mercury sable with a V8 shoe-horned in.

:yeah: