: Like Night and Day!

GAGS-V2
05-17-11, 02:56 AM
Well, I'm back posting again and I've got great news. I'm not sure if you remember my story about how I thought the steering was not right. At a slow speed, making a turn, it felt like the front tires were skidding and it actually made the car rock (not roll). A number of you said it was "crabbing" and that it was normal.

Well, let me assure you, it's not normal. What was the fix? My service manager (at a different dealer than where I bought it) changed out the REAR fluid! Who would have thought that would make a HUGE difference? Well, I have to tell you it's made all the difference in the world! It now drives (and steers) like it should have from the start.

My question to you? What kind of fluid do you think was in there in the first place?

Also, a bird took a giant cr*p on my hood while it was at the dealer, they tried to get it right off but it left an "etched" mark on the hood, any ideas on how to get that out?

Thanks for all the good reading on here by the way!

thatcoder
05-17-11, 03:12 AM
rear diff fluid is usually low. they don't look at it during pdi. they likely just topped it off.

have you tried soap and water?

musclesbmf
05-17-11, 11:05 AM
You need to clay the hood, and then get a medium polish (like machine polish 2 from griots or any other similar polish) and work on it with a porter cable or similar DA polisher. Keep working it with the polish until it's gone. But be careful because out paint is horrible and thin. Then top it off with a sealant/glaze or carnauba wax.

Mark

hlantin
05-18-11, 08:14 PM
glad to hear you got that issue fixed. i'm not due for service yet, but i'll have the rear diff fluid change when i take the car in..

Razorecko
05-19-11, 12:08 AM
And this is why we made a sticky about having all the fluids checked when you pickup a new V =) - luckily it sounds like you didnt do any long term damage to the rear

baabootoo
05-19-11, 12:19 AM
And this is why we made a sticky about having all the fluids checked when you pickup a new V =) - luckily it sounds like you didnt do any long term damage to the rear

I don't know about the Z06s, but a lot of Pontiacs had the same problem with low trans fluid; and over-pressured tires. The differentials were usually ok though.

GAGS-V2
05-19-11, 01:41 AM

I read the sticky and that's one reason I took it right in and had the dealer check it out. I was told they checked the level and it was good. It has a complaint on it about this (steering) with only 50 miles on the car. I have to say the service manager has been great. He's the one who agreed something was not right (not like some members here who said it was normal). He's the one who changed the fluid and said let's see how that works out (took out a door ding for me too N/C!). All in all, I love his attitude and now I love the V too.

So, my advice? If your car feels "strange" when turning at slow speeds (it's been called "crabbing") or when you park, maybe you have the wrong fluid too.

dvandentop
05-19-11, 02:11 AM
cant wait to get mine replaced under warranty due to can hear rear growl when making right or left tight turns

translux
05-19-11, 10:36 AM
Mine does the same thing but only when wet, it really an awful feeling it's as if the whole front end is falling over.