: XM Deal - Just Say 'Cancel'

EChas3
05-16-11, 09:47 PM
XM hasn't changed. If you call in to cancel they will still offer 'half-price'. The old $77 deal is now $86 after tax & 'music royalty fee', but it's still less than 2-bits a day.

I do enjoy the (mostly) commercial-free music. MLB Baseball is also nice. :thumbsup:

turnne
05-17-11, 08:22 AM
yes...and the last time I renewed they gave me an additional 90days( 15 months total) for that price

Warren

chazglenn3
05-17-11, 10:40 AM
Hmmm...I'm paying by the month...I wonder if they will make me that offer...

caddyfat2
05-17-11, 02:20 PM
What, you guys are paying too much. I get 5 months for $19.99 with no royality fee. After taxes it's $22 and some change. The week before it expires I call XM and I say those golden words. " I'm not gonna renew" so they always offer me the same deal. I've had it for 2 years now( renewed 5 times) and will have it until they say no more.

EChas3
05-17-11, 11:09 PM
So I don't push hard enough? So what else is new?

A half hour of my time (on hold) plus 'the patter' once a year beats twice or three times a year.

Just don't get caught by an automatic renewal. Those go for over $160 per annum.

caddyfat2
05-17-11, 11:49 PM
So I don't push hard enough? So what else is new?

A half hour of my time (on hold) plus 'the patter' once a year beats twice or three times a year.

Just don't get caught by an automatic renewal. Those go for over $160 per annum.

I really don't mind doing it 3 times a year if it only costs me $60 for 15 months and I've heard the XM horror stories. They will never get my CC number. I always have them bill me and then I go to Amscot and get a money order so they wont even get a checking account nor routing number. All they get from me is payment in MO and I'm quite satified with that arrangement. So I say what ever works for you is good.:highfive:

Loren
05-20-11, 09:46 AM
If you have XM theres a chance you also have Onstar activated. A word of warning, the Onstar handsfree system is Verizon and they have just recently bought out the AllTell cellular system. For some users this will necessitate a phone number change, at least it did for one of my two vehicles that have it. Here's the problem, the idiots at XM don't tell you they had to change your phone number. Someone, or you, tries to contact the driver for an emergency or what ever and you get someone else or a recorded voice telling you the number is not valid or has been disconnected. They were very apologetic when I called them to ask what happened, but that just make them apologetic idiots. I suggest you try to call your number or log on in the vehicle and after the 'Onstar Ready' greeting say "My Number" to check if it's been changed. This is nothing new, in my 03 Yukon it's happened three times since I bought it in 04 and in the 08 STS this is the second time, these people aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

chazglenn3
05-20-11, 10:49 AM
XM and OnStar are two totally unrelated systems. OnStar uses the cellular network as you mentioned and XM uses the satellite radio system of SiriusXM.

EChas3
05-20-11, 10:03 PM
I agree.

Loren may not have the full picture.

lreddiablo
05-23-11, 05:51 PM
The cancel discount works with many services, mainly media. I have the 1yr XM deal. I called to cancel DirecTV saying the DishNetwork new sign up package looked good, DirecTV offered me the deal they do for new customers (BTW Never actually go to Dish Network, they will rip you off! My internet with Time Warner was just going to be raised from $40 to $51 a month, (didn't know I was on a one yr promo rate). Called Time Warner, asked for retention dept, said AT&T had a $15 DSL deal, they came back and droped my rate to $30, the new new person sign up rate. Just remember that magical discount code CANCEL whenever you have a service going off promo rate :)

mckellyb
05-23-11, 06:03 PM
They will never get my CC number. I always have them bill me and then I go to Amscot and get a money order so they wont even get a checking account nor routing number. All they get from me is payment in MO and I'm quite satified with that arrangement.

While this may sound paranoid to some, I tend to agree with keeping some retail establishments way away from money information. Sounds like XM is one of 'em....

caddyfat2
05-24-11, 10:23 AM
Google XM radio problems and you will be surprised at what you find. I just deal with them with a grain of salt.

EChas3
05-24-11, 08:51 PM
Like so many modern conveniences, it has flaws. But I like it!

smiley47
05-29-11, 09:39 AM
The $85 "threaten to cancel" renewal deal still works. Told them to send me an invoice and it was " no problem sir". They actually seemed quite professional this time around.

rnkath08
05-30-11, 03:47 PM
I only drive my STS about 7 months a year, so I get the 5 mos for $20 deal, then cancel and restart the next year. Truely I'm not a big xm fan, but for long trips it's handy enough. Cheap is good, but never at full price! They do have my cc number and no issues to date with that. Year #3.

skexius
06-13-11, 09:16 PM
The $85 "threaten to cancel" renewal deal still works. Told them to send me an invoice and it was " no problem sir". They actually seemed quite professional this time around.

Just as Smiley47 said above, calling and threatening to cancel does indeed work. I called on 6/6 to renew my XM subscription because my previous subscription had expired and they had just sent me an automatic bill for a full year at regular price. I told the first Customer Service Rep that I could not afford that much for XM and asked if they had any special deals currently. He verified my information and placed me on HOLD for a few minutes supposedly to speak to his supervisor about the current deals. I was on HOLD over 15 minutes and the automated system hung up on me. He never came back on the line. By then, I was getting very mad and called back and told the next Rep that I wanted to cancel my service. I was transferred to another area and was offered by this Rep the $77 deal for 1 year or about half that for 6 months. I begrudgingly took the $77 deal, which came to just over $85 with the Royalty fees. My previous deal was for 6 months at $29.94 plus the Royalty fees. I asked for it again, but the Rep was only authorized for the two deals above. I am paying more now with the $77 deal, but WILL NOT pay more than this in the future. So, calling to cancel does work.

skexius

Angus Young
06-14-11, 09:51 AM
I just renewed 3 radios, it came out to be $84.00 for each, they will take their sweet azztime getting your account worked out, they said the $77 was a one time deal, I said for every time you tell me no I will remove a radio off my account, I removed 1 radio with 3 left, (2) Cadillac STS's and one Harley Ultraglide Screaming Eagle... its all good....

M.A.C
06-14-11, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't mind having XM but I don't want to haggle over pricing. If XM would just offer it for $80 a year they would have many more subscribers. They see how many can be suckered to pay the $150+ first and then will lower the price if the sucker pitch fails.

MacMuse
06-15-11, 02:57 PM
But then they wouldn't get the $180+ renewal cash flow from everyone that just pays it without question. I finally got my Dad to balk at auto-renewal and it saved him some serious cash, but he would not have hesitated to renew at the higher rate without my input.

I hate to see Sirius ripping off all those people, but I'm not going to take out a full page ad in USA Today to encourage people to stand up for themselves against the high cost.

KRSTS
06-15-11, 03:08 PM
Be thankful, those that are automatically renewing at $180+ are subsidizing we that are savy enough to only pay $85.
As PT Barnum once said ..................:worship:

MacMuse
06-15-11, 05:53 PM
^ exactly.