: attaching an engine to hoist

Nhpatriot
05-16-11, 08:11 PM
I've just about got my 472 done and time to install back in the 69 deville. I've got a leveler for my engine crane, what's the best way to bolt the 4 attachment points to the engine?

csbuckn
05-16-11, 09:08 PM
Just bolt two attachments to the opposite ends of the intake manifold. That's what I did with mine. Got any pics?

Nhpatriot
05-20-11, 06:29 AM
No pics right now but will post some this weekend. You used the intake bolts, is that what everyone does?

turbojimmy
05-20-11, 11:56 AM
No pics right now but will post some this weekend. You used the intake bolts, is that what everyone does?

I attach it wherever I can find a bolt that will go through a chain and still bite into the block at least a couple of threads. I'm not picky. Usually intake bolts. In the old days I had a plate that would bolt where the carb would go. that was handy.

GM was kind enough to cast a hole for a hook into the back of the block of the 3.8L engine in my Grand National. They also bolted a nice loop to the front of the intake. I guess they anticipated that I'd be removing and installing it dozens of times.

Ryansmagic
05-21-11, 10:23 PM
I usually get junk bolts I don't mind bending about 1/2 inch thick or so. Screw them in where they'd fit, and I only use two unless its a diesel