: Ignition issue, wont turn over

acermcgraw77
05-16-11, 08:02 PM
I have a 1971 cadillac sedan deville, when i got it ,it had been sitting becasue the ignition switch failed, and was removed. There is a nub inside the ignition switch hole, i can turn it with pliers and get the electrical system to come on but cannot turn it far enough forward to get the car to kick over. My question is, is there a way to hot wire or bypass the actual ignition switch?

jayoldschool
05-16-11, 08:58 PM
Sure. Run constant 12V to the coil, and short the starter terminals with a screw driver. Don't let it run long, because you will burn out the points.

Put in a new ignition cylinder. They're cheap ;)

Fleetwood70
05-16-11, 09:00 PM
Turn it to run position then run a hot wire directly to the starter to turn it over. If you're looking for permanent solution, then just replace the Ignition cylinder, only about $25 on RockAuto.

acermcgraw77
05-16-11, 11:14 PM
thanks for the ideas guys, i am used to old school cars but not one with so many options. why would you think it might burn out the points? also i would get a new ignition tumbler in a second but i think the reason it came out in the first place is because they could get it to turn enbough for the electricity to come on but not that last final bit to engage the starter, which is the same thing that is happening to me just without the tumbler. do you think something could be stuck inside the steering column, i just wanted to know if anyone had any experience taking them apart and has seen inside and what could be wrong before i take it apart.

Bottom line i want to restore this awesome car, it only has 64000 thousand original miles and i really need to hear it start and run a little so that i can keep the motivation.

Thanks again guys

Fleetwood70
05-17-11, 01:06 AM
It will burn out the points because they're not supposed to be run at 12V, but something like 9 I think, due to resistor wire from ignition switch. I haven't taken one apart, but are you sure it doesn't turn all the way? Maybe it does, so look for neutral safety switch, (it's at the bottom of steering column in 1970, 71 may be similar), it may be broken or just disconnected, preventing car from starting, just put a jumper wire between the contacts in the connector, then try again. If it's surely the ignition switch, then, well, take it apart some more.
Just run 12V to coil (+) and connect another wire to the starter solenoid then touch the other end of the wire to battery (+) to turn it over.

acermcgraw77
05-17-11, 03:56 AM
Thanks for the ideas and info, I will take a look, do you have any idea where I could get a writing diagram for this car do you?

outsider
05-17-11, 10:11 AM
factory service manual. I have a 69, not sure sure it they're the same but someone here might have one for 71 and could give you pics of it.

csbuckn
05-17-11, 02:57 PM
I'm with Fleetwood, maybe it is turning all the way and you have no power to it. You could bypass the neutral safety switch. Does it seem like its turning all the way?

acermcgraw77
05-17-11, 04:36 PM
Like I was saying I can hear three clicks and feel it go so far that all of my twelve volt comes on and that's it. I get no further forward and no spring return or anything, so I don't think its turning all the way, but I will check the nutral safety switch when it stops raining any ideas on what it looks like? Also I did get my hands on a writing diagram. On a side note none of my windows are working, is there a fuse somewhere besides the main panel?

Fleetwood70
05-17-11, 04:50 PM
Don't think there's a fuse anywhere else, on mine there's a breaker in the fuse panel that if bad will prevent windows, power seats, power locks and horn from working. It looks like something 3/4 x 1/4 with aluminum cap over it.

acermcgraw77
05-17-11, 06:43 PM
Ill check it out, you said at the bottom of the steering column, is it mounted to the firewall? What do you mean breaker? All I can see are fuses. Thanks again.

csbuckn
05-17-11, 09:50 PM
Check on some auto part websites for a pic.