: The Joys of my first CEL illumination

pacificamike
05-16-11, 11:44 AM
'05 STS 62k-- just got my first check engine light! wahoo!

i think i should check gas cap first... any way to see which code is tripping it without taking it to the dealer?

thanks

caddyfat2
05-16-11, 12:03 PM
You will need a code reader to pull the trouble code and let me say welcome to the CEL club. If your CEL is anything like mines it will rear it's ugly head at least once a year so get ready.

dbrooksy25
05-16-11, 12:05 PM
Some auto parts stores, such as AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc..., will check diagnostic codes for free. Obviously in hopes that you will be buying replacement parts!

pacificamike
05-16-11, 12:11 PM
the car just got a clean bill of health at the dealer 2 weeks ago too...

if the gas cap doesnt resolve it, any reason to not wait 2 weeks and see if it goes away (this car is my daily driver ~40mi/day)

chazglenn3
05-16-11, 12:41 PM
I would drive it if nothing is obviously wrong...it might reset but it takes a number of drive cycles. If it doesn't go off in a week or so, take it in. I would see if you can get it read for free as suggested...nothing to lose! Welcome to the board!

dkozloski
05-16-11, 12:50 PM
If the CEL light is steady it is probably safe to drive it. If the CEL starts flashing the car is getting ready to blow up or sustain serious/expensive damage.

pacificamike
05-16-11, 05:28 PM
thanks. its a helluva fun/elegant vehicle. im now even more motivated to grab a nissan or subaru for my daily driver so my STS ('Silver Stallion') can stay safely in the garage all day...

EChas3
05-16-11, 07:25 PM
We had a '98 of the previous generation STS and the gas filler/cap developed some corrosion. Well cleaned & lubed with a light film of petrolium jelly kept the CEL dark. If you change the gas cap, use OEM.

pacificamike
05-18-11, 04:28 PM
Just filled up (4.49 for premium in norcal, ouch) and the light went out. Hopefully it stays that way.

thanks all

caddyfat2
05-20-11, 11:16 AM
Huh oh, sounds like you have the intermitting CEL. If it comes on/off again it could be the cats which are under a recall. Keep and eye on it.

Greg00coupe
05-20-11, 12:21 PM
My gas cap broke...... the clicking sound you hear when tightening it stopped so I could not tighten it. So when a code came up AutoZone said yea gascap. Bought one for 1/2 the cost of the dealer. BUT Autozone could not reset the light said their had been a court case and they where ordered not to do that. Wonder who was behind that!!! Anyway he said oh it will recycle to off after a 1,000 miles or so. Since I knew it was the cap I waited until I had the miles and yes it cycled off.

Point being it does not cycle off, nor might other codes with just a few cycles. Like the post above I doubt the octane of the gas was the solution. Me thinks you have another issue. Go get the codes pulled.

caddyfat2
05-20-11, 02:11 PM
If you have OnStar you can push the blue button and the advisor can tell you your trouble codes.