: Can the dealer tell if I have had a chip in?

balladw
05-15-11, 01:09 PM
I am tempted to try a chip but ai have total plus warranty and don't want to void it. I plan on keeping the truck for some time. Is there a chip out there that does not leave any marks inside the computer?

John B
05-15-11, 02:43 PM
When you say "chip"....this technology was used 20 years ago with GM TPI computers when you physically replaced the programming in the PCM by burning a new program on a chip and replacing the factory chip, however, today since the advent of the LT1 EFI motors and LSX motors following those, these GM PCM's are reprogrammed with the use of software and cable connected to PCM and yes, the Dealer can tell if you have reprogrammed your PCM!

2007XTSDub
05-15-11, 02:58 PM
A handheld such as the Diablo Predator can not be sniffed out from the dealer. This is the only handheld that can not be sniffed out.

Sent from Android.

LeftLane
05-15-11, 10:40 PM
A handheld such as the Diablo Predator can not be sniffed out from the dealer. This is the only handheld that can not be sniffed out.

Sent from Android.

Yes they can.The diablo reprogram the pcm,you can then remove the diablo program and put the stock program back.Once you do this they can tell that the pcm has been flashed.

LeftLane
05-15-11, 11:01 PM
They will also void your extended powertain warranty that people purchase for coverage after the factory warranty is up.

Punmax
05-15-11, 11:05 PM
Yes they can.

RippyPartsDept
05-15-11, 11:14 PM
most dealers won't check, but often GM requires photographs of the tech 2 screens that will show if there is a tune currently and i think they can also tell the number of times it has been programmed

GM may then decide to decline a warranty claim based on that info - you can fight it but I wouldn't, unless you're certain you can prove that their part was defective and the tune had nothing to do with it (which can be next to impossible)

2007XTSDub
05-16-11, 12:18 AM
Yes they can.The diablo reprogram the pcm,you can then remove the diablo program and put the stock program back.Once you do this they can tell that the pcm has been flashed.

Not true. Where and who is your source?

Sent from Android.

Mha
05-16-11, 12:52 AM
off topics but what about aftermarket rims and grilles and subs? Will they void your powertrain

killer67
05-16-11, 01:20 AM
^ I wouldn't think so

TexFinn
05-16-11, 12:14 PM
Like somebody already said, some dealers check for changes to the PCM, some don't.

So..., if you are at all concerned about the possibility of voiding the warranty, my suggestion is that you just forget about any changes for now. You'll be much better off and any warranty repairs you might need will go much smoother.

RippyPartsDept
05-16-11, 01:21 PM
it's true that some dealers don't check, but often GM will require them to check in order to approve the warranty work

i would suggest you talk to your dealer and feel out what their take on it is... ultimately you will be dealing with them if a problem arises ...

LeftLane
05-16-11, 05:35 PM

Sent from Android.
Right off Diablo site

3. Disclaimer. The Product is being sold with no warranties of any kind, express or implied. The Product is not endorsed by the manufacturer of your vehicle and there is no affiliation between DiabloSport and the manufacturer of your vehicle. Installation of the Product in your vehicle or use of the Product with your vehicle may limit or void your rights under any warranty provided by the manufacturer of your vehicle, and DiabloSport assumes no responsibility in such event. Any warranty not provided herein, and any remedy which, but for this provision, might arise by implication or operation of law, is hereby excluded and disclaimed. The implied warranties of merchantability and of fitness for any particular purpose herein are expressly disclaimed.

LeftLane
05-16-11, 05:46 PM

Sent from Android.

here is more info http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/137970-gm-bulletin-states-aftermarket-pcm-tune.html