: 67 died

jcolliga40
05-15-11, 10:53 AM
I was driving back to my house and the 67 deville just died. First I noticed the dash board lights weren't on then the car just shut off like a fuse or relay went. I checked the ones under the dash and they all looked good except the radio one. But I do have headlights and everything else works. I ended up having the car towed home. But when I turn the key to start it nothing happens. Nothing at all except the brake and oil light come on. Thanks all

77CDV
05-15-11, 11:18 PM
Bad ignition coil?

csbuckn
05-15-11, 11:43 PM
Sounds electrical, could test the coil wire for power or power to the ignition cylinder.

jcolliga40
05-16-11, 08:09 AM
Ya I think that might be he issue as well as a bad alternator. Yesterday I put a different battery in it that I thought was charged and it turned over but didn't fire so I jumped it and it started no problem. So I drove it back to where I keep it about a 25 min ride. Shut it off and tried to turn it back on and got nothing. I also think that its running very hot because when I opened the Hood the radaitor was steaming. But that's for another day. So I tried jumping it again and it turned but didn't have enough to fire it.

cadillac_al
05-16-11, 02:35 PM
You got all the life you could have out of that old battery; time to retire it and make life easier on yourself.

jcolliga40
05-16-11, 03:02 PM
Ya but the strange thing is that the battery is out of my Ford.f350 that I drive everyday and it turns that motor with no problem. But I agree I am going to get a nice new.one. how many cranking amps do you suggest I get? Thanks all

jcolliga40
05-16-11, 03:05 PM
Yes most definitely. But the battery starts my f350 everyday. How many cranking amps do you suggest for the new battery

csbuckn
05-16-11, 03:11 PM
If the car is stock, just get the recommended battery size. Otherwise you can look around while you're there and see if anything bigger will fit.

cadillac_al
05-16-11, 08:30 PM
You got all the life you could have out of that old battery; time to retire it and make life easier on yourself.

OK disregard my diagnosis; it sounds like your battery may be ok if it starts your truck every day. The boosting made me think the battery was simply dead. You may have two problems. The overheating can cause it to start hard and you may have some poor battery connections and grounds. The starter could be dragging too.

jcolliga40
05-17-11, 03:20 PM
Ya I do have a loose connection but that's an easy fix. Any suggestions on how to fix the over heating issue besides the obvious ones. Flushing system, new thermostat. I know the water pump is good because I saw bubbles comming from the cap when I first started it a few weeks ago. Maybe the radaitor is clogged. If I remember right there were multiple ones I know one is for the tranny and the other for the motor.

jcolliga40
05-17-11, 03:21 PM
Also this project will be on hold for a month my new.motor for my 86 finally arrived. So a lot of funds will be going into that

cosmo
05-17-11, 09:33 PM
Fusible links. One is blown.

Cosmo.

Nhpatriot
05-20-11, 07:37 AM
ditto, use a meter to check each point from the battery to the starter and the power to the starting solenoid / relay.
First you have to find what's not coming on when the key is in the start positon.

jcolliga40
05-22-11, 08:48 PM
OK thanks I'm gunna check all the grounds and make sure everything is good and test it as I go.