: Upper Ball Joints - 1969 DeVille

05-14-11, 11:05 PM
The shop manual for the 1969 Deville says that the upper ball joints are welded to the suspension arm. Is this correct? If so, how does one replace them? I thought they were just pressed in. I need to replace the bushings, and if I am going to the trouble of taking the arm off I'm darn well going to also replace the 42 year old ball joints. Thanks!

05-15-11, 10:44 AM
I can't say for certain, but later GM RWD factory ball joints are riveted in. You grind/drill/chisel out the rivet, then bolt in the new ball joints. I would suspect the 69 would be the same. You will know as soon as you take the tire off. Also, you can check the replacement part pics online. That should help you figure out what is in there.

05-15-11, 08:07 PM
Good suggestion - the picture of the replacement one has one hole which I believe is a locating hole. If it was for mounting to the A arm, I would expect at least 3 holes.