: I need some advice on how to get rid of my car

Rodya234
05-14-11, 07:43 PM
My '93 Deville has been nothing but trouble since I took it from my sister after the engine fell out, and I've been looking to get another car for awhile now. I went and saw a '98 STS today and liked it, but I need another $700 or so to buy it. I'll be able to afford it when I get paid next month, but this particular deal won't be around anymore (the asking price is $2600).

I'd like to see if I could get that much out of the Deville, but I don't think there will be any takers if I tried to sell it, and it would take weeks if not months to do so.

Here's why the car won't sell:
135k miles.
literally rusting to pieces (no rust through the paint, and the frame is solid, but the wheel wells and door frames are disintegrating).
Hood is bent from an accident, and the car has no grille.
Currently has no brake lines (I'm replacing them though)
Bad shocks on three corners
Gas tank always reads empty
windshield is cracked

So I figured I could just junk it and take what I could get, but I don't think I'd get the amount of money I need for it. I'm not really sure what to do because this is my first time both selling and buying a car. Does anyone have any advice for me? What do you think are my options for getting rid of the Deville, and what could I get for it?

Stingroo
05-14-11, 08:05 PM
Scrap metal would MAYBE net you $300. Parting out would take too long, and probably not net you a whole lot of money, unfortunately.

Best bet is to try and work with the seller.

Good luck man.

Destroyer
05-14-11, 08:18 PM
Scrap metal would MAYBE net you $200. Parting out would take too long, and probably not net you a whole lot of money, unfortunately.

Best bet is to try and work with the seller.

Good luck man.If scrap is still hovering around .11 cents/lb and this car weighs 4200 lb or so he is looking at close to $450. The catalytic converters normally fetch $50-$100 a piece. I would put an ad on Craigslist and part it out then scrap the rest.

ThumperPup
05-14-11, 08:23 PM
most the adds i see on CL latly about things like we buy junk cars are offering a min of 300
not sure if they would give you that much for a 93 but you could probably get around 200-300 i bet

wow even though its a 98 only asking 2600 got ask what is wrong with it
but then again if they are not budging on you having 700 less then what they are asking maybe its good

D has a point scrap metal is worth more then salvages will pay perhaps you might just want to put it on CL and sell parts or sell parts on ebay just part it out

Stingroo
05-14-11, 08:24 PM
I forgot about the cats. Good tip. I got a few bucks for the ones off that FWB I parted....

Ebay isn't an option if he wants to move fast. He's got to find a scrap center - not a junk car buyer. Those guys are out to profit too.

Rodya234
05-14-11, 08:38 PM
The Deville weighs in at 3459lbs and has no cat converter (don't ask, don't tell)

The Seville is going for $2600 because it occasionally overheats, which I'm assuming is the H/G. That doesn't bother me too much because whatever is wrong with it I'll be fixing myself, so it won't cost me too much. Otherwise, the car is in great condition (63k miles).

Stingroo
05-14-11, 08:40 PM
Take the scrap price you can, show up to the Seville in cash. You win.

orconn
05-14-11, 09:05 PM
Offer the guy what you have now in cash, leave him you telephone number. If the car over heats, whatever the reason, he'll never be able to get even close to $2700. for it. Meanwhile sell your Deville to the nearest scrap yard and put the money away for repairs on a Seville. If the guy never calls .... oh well! I am sure you can find a nice overheating Seville for what you can afford to pay! When it comes to Sevilles with overheating problems it's a buyers market and there aren't many buyers out there!

Destroyer
05-14-11, 09:09 PM
The Deville weighs in at 3459lbs and has no cat converter (don't ask, don't tell)

The Seville is going for $2600 because it occasionally overheats, which I'm assuming is the H/G. That doesn't bother me too much because whatever is wrong with it I'll be fixing myself, so it won't cost me too much. Otherwise, the car is in great condition (63k miles).Oh boy! Trust me, your '93 won't be the only one getting scrapped if you buy this. Changing the H/G isn't as easy or cheap as you think. If it needs an H/G job, pay no more than scrap value for it and prepare yourself to sink at least $3,000 more to fix it. :lildevil:

ThumperPup
05-14-11, 09:14 PM

The Seville is going for $2600 because it occasionally overheats, which I'm assuming is the H/G. That doesn't bother me too much because whatever is wrong with it I'll be fixing myself, so it won't cost me too much. Otherwise, the car is in great condition (63k miles).

so your saying it is overheating
sorry i have to say i don't care what condition it is in i mean it could have 10 miles or 10 million miles flawless body everything perfect except for the overheating it's not worth more then 1500 at the most personally wouldn't pay more then 1200 if its over heating the person who is selling it must know that its a 2500 to 4000 dollar job
if it was not overheating i bet they would not be selling

ThumperPup
05-14-11, 09:15 PM
Offer the guy what you have now in cash, leave him you telephone number. If the car over heats, whatever the reason, he'll never be able to get even close to $2700. for it. Meanwhile sell your Deville to the nearest scrap yard and put the money away for repairs on a Seville. If the guy never calls .... oh well! I am sure you can find a nice overheating Seville for what you can afford to pay! When it comes to Sevilles with overheating problems it's a buyers market and there aren't many buyers out there!

:yeah::yeah:

Stingroo
05-14-11, 09:40 PM
Oh boy! Trust me, your '93 won't be the only one getting scrapped if you buy this. Changing the H/G isn't as easy or cheap as you think. If it needs an H/G job, pay no more than scrap value for it and prepare yourself to sink at least $3,000 more to fix it. :lildevil:

Not to promote Destroyer's anti-N* agenda, but he's got a point. The HG job is far from cheap, and even if you tackle it yourself, as a one-man-show it will still take days.

Personally, I think the price is way too high if it's overheating. Even if you buy it, you've still got $600 in studs to buy, fluids, belts, seals, and a whole host of other things.

Use that for leverage if you really believe the car is nice enough to save. If not, move on.

Rodya234
05-14-11, 09:50 PM
I have the time, equipment, and know-how to get the H/G done myself. Even at the asking price of $2600 plus the ~$700 I estimate it should cost to do the H/G myself, I'm still coming in far under the KBB.

I'll offer him what I have and just play it by ear. If it doesn't take off, I have other options. I may even start working on the Deville again.

Stingroo
05-14-11, 09:51 PM
There you go. I'd offer him whatever you've got and part the DeVille out slowly.

ThumperPup
05-14-11, 09:54 PM
I have the time, equipment, and know-how to get the H/G done myself. Even at the asking price of $2600 plus the ~$700 I estimate it should cost to do the H/G myself, I'm still coming in far under the KBB.

I'll offer him what I have and just play it by ear. If it doesn't take off, I have other options. I may even start working on the Deville again.

im not in any way trying to be a smart tail here
but it sounds almost like you are trying to
Convince yourself that it's ok to do this

really not even Joe wanted to pay the 1200 that the guy wanted for his sts with the blown HG

look around all the 98-to what ever Seville going for 2000-3000 have a over heating problem but my mechanic said its a t-stat or something like that lol

it's really up to you but it really does sound like your trying to convince yourself its ok

Playdrv4me
05-14-11, 10:04 PM
Rod has been around these parts along time and thus likely knows exactly what the implications of an HG nightmare on one of those cars can be.

I you're convinced you can do the repair, then the ball is in your court as I assure you no one else wants that car.

ThumperPup
05-14-11, 10:24 PM
Buyers Market as said above
that car is only one for a buyers market right now tear it down build it up do it till your hearts content

Koooop
05-15-11, 01:53 AM
Think of the $ you will save by junking one car and the effort you will save not doing the HG in the N*.

There's a win, win situation!

The motor fell out, it's rusted out and you want $ for it? ROFLMAO!

77CDV
05-15-11, 02:09 AM
It's still worth a couple hundred for it's scrap metal value.

Koooop
05-15-11, 02:58 AM
Still laughing at the motor falling out!

Playdrv4me
05-15-11, 04:24 AM
LOL... "motor fell out" is usually the kind of thing you say as an exaggeration when poking fun at a particular car brand... only in a Cadillac does it actually happen!

ben.gators
05-15-11, 06:12 AM
1-You should be able to buy the STS with bad HG for less than 2000$. The owner will not be able to sell it for the asking price, unless a clueless poor guy appears and pays the asking price without knowing what is wrong with car and how much hard and expensive the fixing of blown HG is.

2- Definitely if you yourself want to fix the car it will be much cheaper than dealership or any other reputable shop, however even the DIY project will require a lot of parts and tools and it can cost you as high as even 1000$! The tricky part is when you drop the engine you will observe some other problems and fixing them is another overhead for your overall costs. Such auxiliary problems are like bad engine and transmission mounts or half seals and oil pan seals.

3- Never ever buy a Cadillac STS as a fixer car unless it is dirt cheap! As a FWD STS owner I know exactly how much costly the repairs are even if you yourself want to do the job....

Destroyer
05-15-11, 08:27 AM
In a nutshell, you won't be talked out of it. Cool. Remember, the studs alone are $600. That $700 figure does not seem realistic. Good luck either way. :thumbsup:

Rodya234
05-15-11, 11:29 AM
In a nutshell, you won't be talked out of it.
Yeah that pretty much sums it up.

To be fair, even though I expected it, and some of it was useful, I didn't come here asking about advice on the Seville, I've done my homework :yup:. I just want to get rid of the rust colored heap with Cadillac badges that's on my driveway. :banghead:

And if it turns out to be a disastrously bad decision, I'll be the first person to say so! :thumbsup:

hueterm
05-15-11, 11:46 AM
If you truly know how to fix the HGs ( and everything else that will break) on the Seville then it isn't such a bad decision.

But I wouldn't pay more than $1500 on the Seville .

Sevillian273
05-15-11, 12:30 PM
$0.02

When I was ready to get rid of my un-sellable grand marquis, I put an ad on craigs for 'best scrappers offer'. I got replies ranging from $75 to $200. Within a week, it was on a flatbed and I never saw it again. You can get full price if you can cut the middle-man and get it to the scrap yard. If you really wanna get crazy you can yank all of the aluminum out of it and scrap it separately.

Before you do all that you can have it up on CL and ask for offers on individual parts....

Aron9000
05-15-11, 03:51 PM
My uncle scraps semi trucks, and he has a kind of dirty trick when he takes the cabs to the crusher. He says the matress in the sleeper cab is worth $20. Soak it with water, bam instantly it weighs another 50lbs. So just a little dirty trick, soak the carpet and interior, might weigh a little more.

ThumperPup
05-15-11, 04:06 PM
pull the carpet up and put led under neath that would give it more weight also

naw but thats a dirty trick Aron lol but your uncle has some ideas i bet

77CDV
05-15-11, 11:32 PM
Of course, there's always my way.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPzzpRAcrSA

Ranger
05-15-11, 11:37 PM
Blowing things up is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. :thumbsup:

ga_etc
05-16-11, 12:03 AM
You live in Chicago. I'm sure you know someone that can make the car "go away".

cadillac kevin
05-16-11, 12:59 AM
drive the car to the south side, leave the keys in the ignition. take a smoke break. viola- instantly vanishing car.

ben.gators
05-16-11, 02:08 AM
drive the car to the south side, leave the keys in the ignition. take a smoke break. viola- instantly vanishing car.

here is another practical way....

Koooop
05-16-11, 03:07 AM

And tape a $20 to the inside of the window.

ThumperPup
05-16-11, 11:09 AM

no with these gas prices make sure its a 50 leave a note say please take car as far as you can

but make sure you wait about 2 months after putting full coverage insurance on here at a 100 dollar deductible yeah you problay going to spend 300 for the isnruance but i bet they pay you about 1000

Disclaimer ( I am not suggesting this It's a Joke but just an Idea ()

Ranger
05-16-11, 01:25 PM

From his description I suspect the $20 would disappear, but the car would remain.

RippyPartsDept
05-16-11, 01:58 PM
our N* H/G guru says that any N* vehicle no matter how good the rest is in is only worth about $500 with blown head gaskets

if you do the job yourself budget at least $1000 for parts (including the SureGrip Stud Kit) ... you will find other stuff to replace while you've got it out that will want to do now instead of removing the engine again later on

ThumperPup
05-16-11, 05:16 PM
our N* H/G guru says that any N* vehicle no matter how good the rest is in is only worth about $500 with blown head gaskets

:yeah:

Rodya234
05-16-11, 08:57 PM
Well I worked things out, the Seville is sitting in the driveway right now, and I got a potential buyer for the Deville if I fix it up a little bit. (Which will cost me virtually nothing, considering I have two cars to cannibalize from).

orconn
05-16-11, 09:02 PM
Congratualtions! (I quess) I will be looking forward to hearing of your progress with the Seville. Let's hope it is a stuck thermostat! I hope you got the Seville for a really good price.

ThumperPup
05-16-11, 09:10 PM
lets hope that if not the Hg's that it has not been driven over heated to possibly cause a major problem
GL keep us up to date

Rodya234
05-16-11, 09:23 PM
Well, when I got it the coolant was low, so I just filled it back up and drove it about 25 miles home. The temperature gauge never went past the second notch above half way (no over heat message either) while driving at about 65mph the whole way. I also added some more coolant once I got it back home because it had gotten lower.

I'm not getting optimistic, I still think it's the head gasket, but if it isn't I'll still change it anyways so I don't have to worry about it.

ThumperPup
05-16-11, 09:54 PM
the seville did that at first it was looseing coolant threw the cylinders finaly it started to flood the engine so it wanted to hesitate with not starting then after a month or so of that is when i saw the white smoke from the tail pipes and after about 2 weeks of that is when i took her in for the hg's to be replace and fixed
atleast this is what my mechanic at the time explained to me that the coolant was getting lost into the cylenders or burnt up from there or something thats why i was not seeing a leak anywhere

Playdrv4me
05-16-11, 10:25 PM

if you do the job yourself budget at least $1000 for parts (including the SureGrip Stud Kit) ... you will find other stuff to replace while you've got it out that will want to do now instead of removing the engine again later on

Well yes and no. Now that people have begun to crawl out of the woodwork that can fix them more reasonably, a mint STS with 60k on the clock is still worth at least 1500. Especially when you consider there's still dealers out there commanding 8 and 10 grand for the damn things.

Rodya234
05-16-11, 10:55 PM
Since the deal is done I'll say it: I paid $2000 for it.

The PO paid $3000 for it, but he was paying per day to store it at a large sales facility so he just let me have it. He said he didn't know what was wrong with it, and sold it to me because I wanted to fix it and take it to college. (Idk if he really knew what was wrong with it or not)

It's pretty mint, it has 63782 on it, every option, white diamond paint, and besides the H/G it only needs brake pads and a little touch up paint on the bumpers (has a little wear on the steering wheel too, but it doesn't matter)

I'll post up some pictures if you guys want em.

Stingroo
05-16-11, 10:57 PM
:postpics:

What kind of statement was that? :lol:

ben.gators
05-16-11, 11:04 PM
If the paint, interior and suspension system are all in good condition I should say 2000$ is not a bad price for an STS with just 63782 on the clock! About HG, there is always a good possibility that you have a leak some where in coolant lines or water pump and that is why you are losing coolant. I hope you just have such a simple problem... Anyway, good luck and keep us posted!

Rodya234
05-16-11, 11:17 PM
The PO told me the coolant system was almost completely empty when he got it, and I've only put in about 8 quarts, so it might have just gone down from running the engine. I'm not sure yet.

Anyway here's a few pics:

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/9466/676a0583.jpg
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/6333/676a0585.jpg
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/6004/676a0589.jpg
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/2600/676a0590.jpg
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4527/676a0587.jpg

I also got my first taste of Northstar today (first time ever driving one). I never thought I'd say this but, the 4.9 just doesn't compare!

Stingroo
05-16-11, 11:19 PM
Has the nice wood wheel/shifter.
White diamond
Low miles.

Definitely worth saving.

ben.gators
05-16-11, 11:32 PM
I am happy you liked the N*! It is a wonderful engine, it gives you noise and vibration free 300 horsepowers at really acceptable gas mileage! True or false, unfortunately HG problem has ruined the reputation of N* engine!

cadillac kevin
05-16-11, 11:41 PM
that is the nicest looking $2k car I've ever seen. best of luck on fixing her mechanically

77CDV
05-17-11, 12:29 AM
Looks a treat! Hope everything turns out well in the end for you. And yes, the 4.9 cannot compare to the N*, at least from the sheer driving fun aspect.

ThumperPup
05-17-11, 01:05 AM
Since the deal is done I'll say it: I paid $2000 for it.

The PO paid $3000 for it, but he was paying per day to store it at a large sales facility so he just let me have it. He said he didn't know what was wrong with it, and sold it to me because I wanted to fix it and take it to college. (Idk if he really knew what was wrong with it or not)

You can bet on the fact he probably new what was wrong with it
if it was a simple fix or something cheap im sure he would have fixed it then sold it for twice that easy i bet with that low miles on it
but he probably knew it needed a few grand into it and is happy its gone other wise why would he settle on 2000 for that car

Playdrv4me
05-17-11, 02:21 AM
Yea he definitely knew, but no matter, if it is still running as well as it is then it is unlikely there is any physical head damage to the motor and the car itself looks like a million bucks (that worthless floorboard trashcan is still there which means the car was WELL kept, and I see original paint too). It sounds like it is using a LOT of coolant though so at this point you could probably almost peel the head off the motor by hand lol.

Good luck, you are in for quite the project. I'm already betting at the end of the repair you will join the legions of others who fixed their first N* HG and ended up saying "never doing one of these again"!

Stingroo
05-17-11, 08:52 AM
I noticed the trash can too. I actually did a double take because you seriously NEVER see those intact. Usually some lazy passenger ends up kicking, breaking, stepping on, or just plain molesting those. (Jesda is likely to fall in the 4th category there... but whatevs.)

ThumperPup
05-17-11, 10:42 AM
I offered to trade someone the other day for there trash can
i want it just to have it lol
i offered to trade a 8.0 Navi Disc West Coast lol

ryannel2003
05-17-11, 12:24 PM
Nice looking car, especially for $2k.

orconn
05-17-11, 02:20 PM
When you find what its' overheating problem really is and get it repaired you should have a really nice car for many years ahead. You will have, probably, fixed the head gaskets so then can enjoy the cars wonderful Northstar engine without worrying about its' drawback!

Rodya234
05-17-11, 06:06 PM
Yeah, the car is definitely in good shape for what I paid for it. There are a few things I've noticed though:

The switch rocker for the driver's headrest adjust is missing (though actual switch that operates it works)

It looks like someone kicked the console in the back seats, because the door to the cigarette lighter is messed up (I managed to fix it kind of), and the tab on the fan switch is missing.

Other than those and the aforementioned issues, I don't see any else. The interior issues are just little annoyances.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase, and I'll start working on the H/G next month when I get paid.

mhamilton
05-17-11, 07:51 PM
Very nice car! Congratulations on a good deal :) Hopefully we'll get to see some pictures of the engine repair when you get to doing that.

The more I see these last gen Sevilles the more I'm liking them... maybe I will keep my eyes open for a good deal on a hg failure car, too.

Skiller.
05-17-11, 08:25 PM
Yeah, the car is definitely in good shape for what I paid for it. There are a few things I've noticed though:

The switch for the driver's headrest adjust is missing (though actual switch that operates it works)
The driver's lumbar support doesn't work (the motor clicks, but no movement)
It looks like someone kicked the console in the back seats, because the door to the cigarette lighter is messed up, and the tab on the fan switch is missing.

Other than those and the aforementioned issues, I don't see any else. The interior issues are just little annoyances.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase, and I'll start working on the H/G next month when I get paid.

My car is missing the tab on the rear fan switch, too! What the hell. I have seen a bunch of these cars online for sale with them missing. If I found one, I'm not sure how I'd replace it, either.

ThumperPup
05-17-11, 08:29 PM
if you find one they are easy to replae they just snap on and off
im betting that its kidz int he back seat that usualy pull them off and get them lost
mine had it but i had seen 3 others that where missing whyll i was looking

ryannel2003
05-17-11, 08:40 PM
It's a crappy design. Barely anybody ever sits in the back seat of my car so mine is still in tact, but quite a few of the cars I've seen on the internet are missing the knob.

Rodya234
05-17-11, 09:19 PM
Another update! (I love exploring new cars, you find so many things LOL :D)

The previous owner told me he could only find one set of keys (the #2 set), but I just found the #1 set in a small compartment in the glove box. :banghead:

Also, there is a blue electrical connector (8-pin) sticking up between the right rear seat. What in the world does this connect to? Pics included

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5961/676a0598.jpg
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/7522/676a0597.jpg

ThumperPup
05-17-11, 09:31 PM
hmm only thing i could think of is the heat seat feture but its been so long since i had the back seat out to look
does your rear heated seats work ? check that it might be what its for

ThumperPup
05-17-11, 09:32 PM
might just be time to move this out of the Lounge and into the Seville/Eldorado section of the forum perhaps

Rodya234
05-17-11, 10:06 PM
Well its not the heated seat because that works, I wish I had the book for this car :confused:

Also, when I press the unlock button on the #1 key fob, the driver settings go to driver #2 :bigroll: lol Does anyone how to fix that?

Mods, if you see this, can you move this thread to the Seville forum? Thanks

ThumperPup
05-17-11, 10:22 PM
the key may have been programed to the wrong option
i mean the key fob
the only way to fix that that i am aware of is with a tech 2 since you need a tech 2 to program these fobs not self service

have you lifted the seat up and taken it out to look to see where that might lead ?

ryannel2003
05-17-11, 11:46 PM
Just lifted up my rear seat real quick... that connector goes to the rear heated seats. Just re-connect it and you should be all set. To lift the seat up is real simple; on the front part of the seat is a latch. Just pull up on that and the seat should pop right up. You'll also see the battery under there so take a look at that to make sure there isn't any corrosion.

Instead of spending money to reset the fobs, just swap out the guts of each fob to match the corresponding number. It should work perfectly then.

Sorry to keep editing my posts... I just keep thinking of more things to check. If you want to check what codes are stored in the computer do this: Turn the key to the run position and then look to your right on the dash and press the On/Off button and ^ arrow at the same time; the dash will flash and then say "All Codes?" Press the On/Off button again and then go through and see what's been stored. The only codes you need to worry about are Current ones. While you're messing around make sure and check the spare tire well for any water leaks. That is a common issue with these cars.

ThumperPup
05-17-11, 11:52 PM
Just lifted up my rear seat real quick... that connector goes to the rear heated seats. Just re-connect it and you should be all set. To lift the seat up is real simple; on the front part of the seat is a latch. Just pull up on that and the seat should pop right up. You'll also see the battery under there so take a look at that to make sure there isn't any corrosion.

Instead of spending money to reset the fobs, just swap out the guts of each fob to match the corresponding number. It should work perfectly then.

Yeah thats what i thought it was for the heated seats but he mentioned that hhis heated seats work
wich makes me think maybe he just pushed the button and saw it came on but didn't sit long enought ot feel the seat heating up perhaps

the key fob do we know if the OP said that they both work for number 2 of it only one works for 2 and 1 ?
i think he said he has both number 2 key fobs

Koooop
05-17-11, 11:53 PM
Here's an idea on how to get rid of Caddy #1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE9XxGZJ3-U

Depends on how well she runs though.

ryannel2003
05-17-11, 11:55 PM
I would assume you can only program one fob for each driver, though I've never tried two so if that's the case you would have to take the car to a dealer to have them reprogram the fobs.

Rodya234
05-18-11, 12:01 AM
Thanks for letting me know about the connector :thumbsup: I'll put it back tomorrow when I get out of school.

As far as the key fob goes, I just swapped the backs of the cases, so all is well :lol:

I would love to end my '93 in a blaze of glory, but the power train on that car is too good. Its worth more than the rest of the car for sure. The engine runs great, and the transmission shifts nice and smooth. Off the line it's probably faster than the STS.

ryannel2003
05-18-11, 12:12 AM
Good thinking about the key fobs. That's what I meant to say but somehow I thought that changing the guts was the thing to fix it. I've been around these cars enough in the past 4 years that I know what every little thing is and what it costs to fix it.

If the steering wheel buttons bother you, check on eBay for a new set. The '98 cars had a problem with the paint peeling off and if you look online you'll see this is only something that happens on '98's; my 2000 STS buttons still look perfect after 11 years and 103k miles.

The 4.9 has more bottom end than the L37 Northstar. You don't start to feel the power of it until 3500RPM, and then it just pulls like no other. When you're doing the headgaskets look for rear main seal leaks and broken motor mounts, 2 extremely common issues with the '98+ platform. Read up in the Seville forums for anything you need to know about these cars because it's all in there. Last but not least... enjoy the car! Those old Deville's are nice but are no comparison to the Seville's for sure.

Skiller.
05-18-11, 12:18 AM
As Ryan mentioned, that connector is for the rear heated seats. I've pulled the back seat a few times already (to clean and replace battery).

Also, I'll look for a replacement for that stupid knob. Yes, the previous owner had kids, so I'm sure they just knocked it off.

Rodya234
05-18-11, 12:37 AM
If the steering wheel buttons bother you, check on eBay for a new set. The '98 cars had a problem with the paint peeling off and if you look online you'll see this is only something that happens on '98's; my 2000 STS buttons still look perfect after 11 years and 103k miles.

I'm so used to other problems with the '93, I'm just gonna let that go :yup:

The 4.9 has more bottom end than the L37 Northstar. You don't start to feel the power of it until 3500RPM, and then it just pulls like no other. When you're doing the headgaskets look for rear main seal leaks and broken motor mounts, 2 extremely common issues with the '98+ platform. Read up in the Seville forums for anything you need to know about these cars because it's all in there. Last but not least... enjoy the car! Those old Deville's are nice but are no comparison to the Seville's for sure.

I got into it a little bit on the way back home at about 45 (where the 4.9 would be out of cam) and the acceleration was BRUTAL compared to what I'm used to. I didn't even make it to the max HP point before I got out though, my mom got scared :halo:

Also, I'll look for a replacement for that stupid knob. Yes, the previous owner had kids, so I'm sure they just knocked it off.

If you find one, let me know! :thumbsup:

ThumperPup
05-18-11, 12:43 AM
If the steering wheel buttons bother you, check on eBay for a new set. The '98 cars had a problem with the paint peeling off and if you look online you'll see this is only something that happens on '98's; my 2000 STS buttons still look perfect after 11 years and 103k miles. .

yeah i noticed this on a friend 98 his peel and he is original owner he said they started to fade and peel about 4 years old

on my 2000 they are still new as ever and i use them every day

only thing i dont like is the fact that the lights are burnt out i have to get them replaced at some point but being a bit lazy
don't want to untill i have to pull the wheel off again for some reason and dont have any reason right now and a pain in the tail to change the switches it hink

ThumperPup
05-18-11, 12:44 AM
As Ryan mentioned, that connector is for the rear heated seats. I've pulled the back seat a few times already (to clean and replace battery).

yeah thats what i said i thout it was for the heated seats and then Ryan came in and mentioned it wich came a 2nd Confimation

Playdrv4me
05-18-11, 07:48 AM
Check the trunk thoroughly for any dampness as these cars are known to leak like no other in that entire rear area due to poor body seams and bad rubber seals.

If you are missing the little plastic cap for the rear climate, they're about 17.00 from the dealership, I'm not sure how much the round knob runs but I've never seen one of those actually missing.

The missing toggles for the seat side controls are also common. We Americans are fat, so on one of my 2001s the cover piece would dislodge and then pop the toggles out with it when you sat down. Hopefully you will just need to obtain the toggle itself rather than a whole new cover plate. That whole control panel is pretty poorly designed (and all the controls inside it are actually made by ALPS in Japan if you look at them behind the plate).

If you have the CD changer, I would advise tossing it out or throwing it on Ebay and getting the AUX input module that plugs in where the CD changer used to be so you can conceal your iPod inside the center console.

If the car chugs at startup and/or stalls AFTER it is warmed up, you have a faulty fuel pressure regulator. Common and easy enough to replace.

That's all I can think of for now.

Rodya234
05-18-11, 09:53 AM
Check the trunk thoroughly for any dampness as these cars are known to leak like no other in that entire rear area due to poor body seams and bad rubber seals.

Alright, will do! :thumbsup:

If you are missing the little plastic cap for the rear climate, they're about 17.00 from the dealership, I'm not sure how much the round knob runs but I've never seen one of those actually missing.

Yeah, its just the little cap on the fan slider missing. Could I buy one online? The nearest dealership is pretty out of my way.

The missing toggles for the seat side controls are also common. We Americans are fat, so on one of my 2001s the cover piece would dislodge and then pop the toggles out with it when you sat down. Hopefully you will just need to obtain the toggle itself rather than a whole new cover plate. That whole control panel is pretty poorly designed (and all the controls inside it are actually made by ALPS in Japan if you look at them behind the plate).

It's just the one toggle missing on the drivers side. Where would I get one? There's also a big piece of plastic trim under the drivers seat (covers the seat rails) that is loose, and can come off easily. :suspect:

If you have the CD changer, I would advise tossing it out or throwing it on Ebay and getting the AUX input module that plugs in where the CD changer used to be so you can conceal your iPod inside the center console.

I heard the CD changers never work right, is that true? I have yet to test mine.

If the car chugs at startup and/or stalls AFTER it is warmed up, you have a faulty fuel pressure regulator. Common and easy enough to replace.

The engine actually runs great, other than the temperature getting high (still never full on overheated...yet).

Thanks for all the help guys, I feel like a noob again :o

ThumperPup
05-18-11, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=Rodya234;2596769]
I heard the CD changers never work right, is that true? I have yet to test mine.

/QUOTE]

Never had a Problem with My CD Changer
only reason i took it out was cause i am using the RCA's for my Navi harnes for my Iphone
i still have yet to get around to a Iphone adpater for the cd changer harness
but iw ant to i hear you can control your iphone ipod with the steering wheel seek butons so that would be coo

ryannel2003
05-18-11, 11:55 AM
My CD changer sometimes gives me a "CD Error" message but if I change the source that I'm playing from and then go back to the changer it works fine. It's never given me any other problems in 3 years. According to my records it was replaced back in 2000-2001 due to the original one being faulty.

Skiller.
05-18-11, 12:16 PM

That's all I can think of for now.

Have a part number??

ThumperPup
05-18-11, 12:23 PM
Have a part number??

skiller are you talking about the part number for the ipod intergration ? or what part number you asking about

Skiller.
05-18-11, 12:30 PM
#85 here: http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?modelYear=2001&model=Seville&make=Cadillac&catalogCode=66O&modelCode=6KY69&seriesCode=6KY&bodyStyleCode=69&engineCode=L37&transCode=MH1&majorIndexID=10&isBigPicture=False&minorIndexID=6K1006001

Mine is the gray one, which of course is not available :(

ryannel2003
05-18-11, 01:04 PM
You could always find a used Seville with grey interior and always just take the knob off...

Just kidding.

Skiller.
05-18-11, 01:10 PM
I have never seen a Seville like mine around here. Ever :D

All the Sevilles I see are all rusted up and ridin' low.

Rodya234
05-18-11, 04:54 PM
My interior color is shale :hmm: so I just have to buy the whole switch setup (#33) and keep a spare. All of this to get one tab lol :helpless:. Only $35 though, not a bad price. Thanks for the link!

RippyPartsDept
05-18-11, 05:01 PM
I can compete on prices with those online warehouses... just make sure to factor in the s&h on the online store before comparing against my prices

PM me your VIN and as much info as you feel is needed for me to understand what part you want (more info never hurt but a part number is pretty good too)

i'll make sure that the part matches your car and get you a price quote you can compare to those online stores

Playdrv4me
05-19-11, 09:14 AM
It's a dinky little micro sized piece of plastic so personally I wouldn't even mind putting a grey cap on a shale interior or a shale cap on a grey interior, so long as the cap was present. As for the black interior, that would stick out like a sore thumb.

Alternatively, you could always just make your own little tab in any one of various methods, you could even cut down a grey eraser tip and mash it on to the metal piece.

ThumperPup
05-19-11, 09:47 AM
you could take some Model Paint since its plastic just paint it to match

Skiller.
05-19-11, 11:09 AM
I'm not in any hurry to get the knob. Nobody has ever sat in my backseat since I have owned the car :D

ben.gators
05-19-11, 04:44 PM
LOL My knob is missing too! and usually no body seat in my rear seats. However I feel bad when I see it is missing. I should replace it too....

Rodya234
05-20-11, 12:06 AM
Well, back on the original topic, I found another buyer for the Deville if I can get the accident damage repaired and Bondo some of the rusted out areas. Both of my potential buyers aren't really car guys, but I don't really care who it goes to, I just want the damn thing gone. :devil:

Playdrv4me
05-20-11, 06:40 AM
Funny, you went to a Seville and I'm looking at those early '90s Devilles for the first time ever.

http://images.cobaltgroup.com/9/4/1/2925408149.jpg

Never really paid attention to them, but recently I've discovered that those Devilles were the first cars I ever really associated with "Cadillac", and they're rapidly growing on me. Don't get me wrong, there are some butt ass ugly variations, but clean ones with good wheels can be beautiful.

ThumperPup
05-20-11, 09:29 AM
that body style int he older devilles
what year was it that they changed the front bumper
i think one was more flat and str8 the other had a bend or groove to it i think the mid to late 80s like 88 or 89 was the last year for the str8 flat and 89 or 90 was the first year it changed a bit
i can't stand that plain str8 flat front bumper on that body style but when they changed it it was actualy looking nice i almost bought one back in 96 of a friend who had to go serve some time in a mandated vacation home LOL
but he gave it to his sister

Rodya234
05-20-11, 02:28 PM
I used to be ridiculously in love with C-body Devilles, but after the crap I went through with my '93 and discovering how great the Seville is, that's pretty much worn off. They're not extraordinary in any way, but they do a lot of things well, and the engines run forever. The gearboxes are a different story...

But I'll always love the '91 that was my first car (now back to being my dad's). It was purchased new in the model year, and was the first car I was ever in as a new born. And I still think it's the best looking C-body I've ever seen.

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/255/95301497380278865307028.jpg

Ryansmagic
05-21-11, 11:13 PM
best way to scrap it out is to pull the starter/alternator/ac compressor. Pull the cat. Pull any rare/normally broken pieces to resell. Pull the 3 things that look like radiators in the front. Now turn the rest in for steel scrap. The start/alt/ac will net you 5 each or so for cores. the cat will get you 50ish. The alum/copper radiators/oil coolers usually around 20. Will end up getting you about, 465 at current prices

EChas3
05-22-11, 01:02 AM
My wife's '98 STS was white pearl/white leather. It was a one-owner and the CD changer, phone & wastebasket were all in perfect condition. They are great-looking & great-performing cars. 4 years later, HG, sunroof, other leaks & reliability issues caused her to trade. The dealer didn't check the car out carefully. It looked so clean and well-maintained, they gave her a good chunk towards her 1-year-old 2007 STS.

They didn't wholesale her old car and ended up doing a HG for the new owner, anyway.

Rodya234
05-22-11, 01:05 AM
My new STS is in such good shape (no sunroof or body leaks) that I could probably sell it for a pretty big profit if I fixed the head gaskets.

I wouldn't do that though, I love that car. :drool:

ryannel2003
05-22-11, 03:37 AM
My wife's '98 STS was white pearl/white leather. It was a one-owner and the CD changer, phone & wastebasket were all in perfect condition. They are great-looking & great-performing cars. 4 years later, HG, sunroof, other leaks & reliability issues caused her to trade. The dealer didn't check the car out carefully. It looked so clean and well-maintained, they gave her a good chunk towards her 1-year-old 2007 STS.

They didn't wholesale her old car and ended up doing a HG for the new owner, anyway.

This is exactly what happened with the previous owner of my car. Doctors wife who loved the car and was quite anal about it. She only traded it in because it needed headgasket work and she ended up with a Gold Mist '08 STS V8. I'm quite happy she did trade the car in... I've enjoyed it for the last 3 years.

As for that wastebasket... I had it in the trunk for months after I bought the car and I ended up misplacing it years ago. I don't even put trash in my car, so I didn't want any of my friends getting ideas.

Aron9000
05-22-11, 05:53 AM
Funny, you went to a Seville and I'm looking at those early '90s Devilles for the first time ever.

http://images.cobaltgroup.com/9/4/1/2925408149.jpg

Never really paid attention to them, but recently I've discovered that those Devilles were the first cars I ever really associated with "Cadillac", and they're rapidly growing on me. Don't get me wrong, there are some butt ass ugly variations, but clean ones with good wheels can be beautiful.

I'm a closet fan of the 91-93 Deville as well. They look like a proper Cadillac, IMO they are kind of a spiritual sucessor to the 76-79 Seville. Smaller size, but still lots of room, better driving dynamics than the full size RWD cars, all the Cadillac style, ride, and features you expect.

I'd probably have one in my driveway if it weren't for that weird/ugly dash design. The 85mph analog speedo is a throwback joke to 1973. I'd have to get one with the digital dash, but even then I still think the layout/design is really funky and ugly. I thought the same thing about my old 1990 Seville STS, very poor design on the dash.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-22-11, 10:32 AM
I really miss that '92 Sedan deVille I had. It wasn't "AMAZING" in any one way, but it did everything very well. The dash design wasn't the best, but it made for a very roomy front cabin, and the backseat had more legroom than the much larger Brougham did.

Honestly Ian, if you found a real good one, low miles and one owner, I'd pick that up in a heartbeat. It'll provide you thousands of miles of easy, low cost, low stress driving. That 4.9 is a real tank of an engine (even if you get one with the stupid #1 main bearing thump), and my 4T60E took hundreds upon hundreds of burnouts and WOT's without any strain or failure. Figure about 15-16 mpg in city, and 23-25 highway if it's in good tune. The highest I ever got was 27.4mpg on the highway at 70mph, but that was with a hell of a tailwind.

The design is classic Cadillac, and it shares the same great (to many fans of the classic full size Cadillacs) proportions as the 1977-92 Broughams...low, long, wide...boxy, yet aerodynamic enough to be quiet on the highway.

They're great to drive as well....a mix between the old school soft Cadillac ride, and the newer sportier Cadillacs, but MUCH "sporter" and tauter than a similar Brougham, and it doesn't feel nearly as clumsy around town as a Brougham. Not as sporty or as fun to drive as a Seville/Eldorado though. I drove it for 6-7 hours at a time and never got tired or worn out...can't say the same about the Broughams, with their super light steering that you have to correct all the time on the highway.

It's also the last time the Coupe deVille was ever made. Here's a beautiful '91 "Spring Edition".
http://media.berrex.com/caddy/DSC00540.jpg

Coupe and Sedan Spring Editions consisted of the 6 slot wheels lifted from the FWD Fleetwoods (another rare piece for your collection if you ever found one), they all had the full vinyl roof, perforated leather interior, body colored door handles and many of the options that were packaged in "option package B" or "option package C".

Let me know how this search turns out. I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

drewsdeville
05-22-11, 10:49 AM
Well said, though I somehow managed to get slightly better mpg's out of mine. I was consistently able to best 25mpg's, even when heading up to Lake of the Clouds in the middle of cold Feb to snowmobile.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the 2-tone on these cars, though it seems it was quite popular. Most I see on the road still have the silver bottom.

Destroyer
05-22-11, 12:08 PM
My new STS is in such good shape (no sunroof or body leaks) that I could probably sell it for a pretty big profit if I fixed the head gaskets.

I wouldn't do that though, I love that car. :drool:I doubt it.:shhh:

Rodya234
05-22-11, 01:31 PM
I doubt it.:shhh:

Well, I certainly couldn't sell it to you :histeric:

ThumperPup
05-22-11, 05:15 PM
Well, I certainly couldn't sell it to you :histeric:

you probably couldn't if pay him to take it lol

Koooop
05-22-11, 11:18 PM
100' of chain and she could make a good anchor.

Playdrv4me
05-23-11, 01:18 AM
I really miss that '92 Sedan deVille I had. It wasn't "AMAZING" in any one way, but it did everything very well. The dash design wasn't the best, but it made for a very roomy front cabin, and the backseat had more legroom than the much larger Brougham did.

Honestly Ian, if you found a real good one, low miles and one owner, I'd pick that up in a heartbeat. It'll provide you thousands of miles of easy, low cost, low stress driving. That 4.9 is a real tank of an engine (even if you get one with the stupid #1 main bearing thump), and my 4T60E took hundreds upon hundreds of burnouts and WOT's without any strain or failure. Figure about 15-16 mpg in city, and 23-25 highway if it's in good tune. The highest I ever got was 27.4mpg on the highway at 70mph, but that was with a hell of a tailwind.

The design is classic Cadillac, and it shares the same great (to many fans of the classic full size Cadillacs) proportions as the 1977-92 Broughams...low, long, wide...boxy, yet aerodynamic enough to be quiet on the highway.

They're great to drive as well....a mix between the old school soft Cadillac ride, and the newer sportier Cadillacs, but MUCH "sporter" and tauter than a similar Brougham, and it doesn't feel nearly as clumsy around town as a Brougham. Not as sporty or as fun to drive as a Seville/Eldorado though. I drove it for 6-7 hours at a time and never got tired or worn out...can't say the same about the Broughams, with their super light steering that you have to correct all the time on the highway.

It's also the last time the Coupe deVille was ever made. Here's a beautiful '91 "Spring Edition".
http://media.berrex.com/caddy/DSC00540.jpg

Coupe and Sedan Spring Editions consisted of the 6 slot wheels lifted from the FWD Fleetwoods (another rare piece for your collection if you ever found one), they all had the full vinyl roof, perforated leather interior, body colored door handles and many of the options that were packaged in "option package B" or "option package C".

Let me know how this search turns out. I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

Good stuff, Chad... Thanks!