: Removal of Scratches on Sapele Wood

Omegadog12
05-14-11, 03:57 PM
PLEASE HELP!!
I took my 2011 CTS-V Coupe to the local detailer and it came back with scratches in the center console sapele woodtrim. Anyone with any ideas on how to remove them, PLEASE HELP!!! Any and all ideas will be appreciated.:bonkers:

hulksdaddy
05-14-11, 04:25 PM
Can you feel the scratches with your fingernail?

Caddy Wagon
05-14-11, 04:30 PM
They are clear coated. But if you can feel them with your fingernail you probably can't get them out. If they are surface scratches only, you can probably buff them out with something designed to polish clear coated wood. I don't know if they used Polyurethane on the wood or not.

Last resort, you can remove the trim, sand smooth, and put a new Polyurethane coating on.

hulksdaddy
05-14-11, 04:49 PM
If al else fails, you can just buy new pieces and replace them, if it really bothers you.

Caddy Wagon
05-14-11, 04:52 PM
Or have the detailer replace them. If they screwed it up isn't it their job to fix it?

Omegadog12
05-14-11, 05:08 PM
I can feel a few of them with my fingernail and there are quite a few that I can't feel. It REALLY bothers the p*** out of me as my baby is only 4 months old and my first new car in 30 years (after kids, college, divorce, bad debt repayment, etc.). How do I get new panels? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!!

cbloveday
05-14-11, 05:50 PM
Contact your dealership or order online at http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

you may want to get part numbers from them to ease the ordering process.

MReiland
05-15-11, 08:04 AM
Before you go to far, you should try Meguiars ScratchX or something similar to see if it will make it acceptable. I recently drove one of the pool V coupes (right at 5000 miles) and it was a complete disaster on the center console with huge scratches averywhere, looked awful, I couldn't return the vehicle looking like that even though I had nothing to do with it, just couldn't let the V look like that. Spent about a half hour with ScratchX and a microfiber cloth and it looked literally perfect after I was done. I have used it on my other cars on non-touchscreen radio displays etc and all of the scratches came out too. (Now if Griots actually had a 1" RO buffer for this....:) It might not be perfect but it definately might be acceptable enough that you don't need to replace the trim.

darvish
05-15-11, 09:15 AM
Before you go to far, you should try Meguiars ScratchX or something similar to see if it will make it acceptable. I recently drove one of the pool V coupes (right at 5000 miles) and it was a complete disaster on the center console with huge scratches averywhere, looked awful, I couldn't return the vehicle looking like that even though I had nothing to do with it, just couldn't let the V look like that. Spent about a half hour with ScratchX and a microfiber cloth and it looked literally perfect after I was done. I have used it on my other cars on non-touchscreen radio displays etc and all of the scratches came out too. (Now if Griots actually had a 1" RO buffer for this....:) It might not be perfect but it definately might be acceptable enough that you don't need to replace the trim.

I have to say this. I do not know you... BUT I am very glad you and people like you work for GM.

Omegadog12
05-15-11, 10:25 AM
I'll try the Meguiar's Scratch-X and a lot of elbow grease. I appreciate all the replies and I'm VERY glad to be a member of this forum

cbloveday
05-15-11, 11:20 AM
I also use this product by GM

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/195097-used-gm-vehicle-care-swirl-remover.html

e6t
05-15-11, 12:20 PM
I have to say this. I do not know you... BUT I am very glad you and people like you work for GM.

most people on this board have no idea how truly helpful he is!