: Is it time to consider a used Jaguar?

orconn
05-14-11, 04:47 PM
Having been a long time Jaguar owner I am well aware of the makes reputation for problems with reliability (even though I have personally had good luck with the Jags I have owned). But checking out the reliability surveys for the last seven or eight years it seems that there has been a marked improvement in the quality and reliability of Jaguars cars. In fact, the marque has been consistently placing among the very best in these areas for several years now. Maybe it is time for those considering a used luxury car purchase to consider an XJ or S-type or even a fairly recent XK depending on one's personal needs?

There is no doubt that the Jags of the last generations have brought some very nice designs to market. Designs that are bound to become "classics" in the coming years. Until recently Jaguars refused to be taken in by the styling fads of their Japanese or German competition instead modernizing previous Jaguar themes and modernizing interior design while retaining the make's "wood and leather" elegant luxury. While recent copying of others' contemporary designs has undermined Jaguar's uniqueness for classic beauty, the used car market supplies Jaguars which retain the liquid elegance the marque is rightly renown for at bargain prices.

All things considered, maybe now is the time to put a beautiful cat in your driveway! Just be sure you have access to a knowledgeable independent Jaguar mechanic for you service needs.

ThumperPup
05-14-11, 05:10 PM
if i where going to get a jaq it would not be the newer body styles thats for sure i saw one and at first i thout i was looking at an audi LOL
but i have always enjoyed the rides i have gone for in a friends XJ8 that sucker is awesome love the color also Silver with a blue top

The Tony Show
05-14-11, 05:54 PM
It's a Jaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWoBb2NVfZA

Destroyer
05-14-11, 08:21 PM
if i where going to get a jaq it would not be the newer body styles thats for sure i saw one and at first i thout i was looking at an audi LOL............and this is the problem with the newer ones. :tisk:

ThumperPup
05-14-11, 08:24 PM
............and this is the problem with the newer ones. :tisk:

Deleted My Bad

Stingroo
05-14-11, 08:28 PM
He was agreeing with you, you fool.

ThumperPup
05-14-11, 09:16 PM
He was agreeing with you, you fool.

sorry i didn't understand what he was saying

Destroyer
05-14-11, 09:22 PM
Do you ever? :lildevil:

Playdrv4me
05-14-11, 09:33 PM
It's a Jaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWoBb2NVfZA

Beat me to it

ThumperPup
05-14-11, 09:50 PM
Do you ever? :lildevil:

sometimes yes and sometimes no
but hey u know thats me lol

billc83
05-16-11, 08:38 AM

Did I just wake up in Bizarro world?

Stingroo
05-16-11, 08:55 AM
It's a jungle out there
Disorder and confusion everywhere....

ThumperPup
05-16-11, 11:06 AM
yeah maybe it will get better next year sometime after January

Stingroo
05-16-11, 11:11 AM
Planning on selling the Cadillac then?

ThumperPup
05-16-11, 11:21 AM
Planning on selling the Cadillac then?

Heck no wait my mistake i mean 2013 yikes dang my bad it will be 2013 when we might get better January 20th i supose or soemtime after then is atleast when we can hope to start recovery lol

drewsdeville
05-16-11, 11:39 AM
http://charliesgames123.webs.com/photos/Album-1/i%20like%20where%20this%20thread%20is%20going.jpg

ThumperPup
05-16-11, 11:43 AM
http://charliesgames123.webs.com/photos/Album-1/i%20like%20where%20this%20thread%20is%20going.jpg

omg is that kid really going to do that LOL

Stingroo
05-16-11, 12:40 PM
Thanks, Drew. :lol:

DouglasJRizzo
05-16-11, 01:32 PM
I had an 86 XJ-S coupe with the 5.3 V-12 and automatic. It was surprisingly reliable. I was blessed, however with a good mechanic who knew Jags well.

orconn
05-16-11, 02:38 PM
I had an 86 XJ-S coupe with the 5.3 V-12 and automatic. It was surprisingly reliable. I was blessed, however with a good mechanic who knew Jags well.

^^^ The secret of Jag success .... a good independent Jag mechanic!!!

Jesda
05-16-11, 04:03 PM
A late 90s XK8 convertible would work well for me. The dog would love the back seat. I'd get him a pair of goggles.

RippyPartsDept
05-16-11, 05:01 PM
http://jaguarblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/jaguar-xf-04.jpg

pretty sexy... as a jaaaaaag should be

Jailtime
05-17-11, 04:58 AM
One of my friends bought an 01 XJR. It's beautiful to look at, and it's really fast (at least for a 4200 pound car). But the interior quality is terrible. The leather feels cheap, every surface is hard plastic, the wood cracks, and the power locks are broken. My STS makes the Jag look like a 90s Hyundai as far as interior quality. So I don't get why there's so much love for Euro interiors.

Don't get me wrong, I can look past the interior's faults. Still love the XJR, great driving experience.

orconn
05-17-11, 02:44 PM
Jailtime, your friend's '01 XKR was probably bought third hand from its' third owner who had neither the knowledge nor money to properly take care of a car like this. I have seen many an older XJ whose interior had stood up very well for many more years than your friend's '01. Connolly hide seat facings require, at least annual, cleaning and applications of a good hide food to remain supple. Real wood veneer adhere to a plywood substrate (like Jaguar and Rolls-Royce use) looks far richer and more beautiful than the types of wood embellishment used in other cars (ranging fro fake plastic stuff to epoxy laminated as used in Mercedes, BMW and your Seville). The good stuff requires maintenance which is often neglected by second and third buyers, resulting in a shabby looking car. Unfortunately a shabby interior is usually an indication of neglected (expensive) maintenance of the mechanical parts of the car. If I were your friend I would sell this dog now, before it bites him but good!

Jailtime
05-19-11, 05:02 AM
Jailtime, your friend's '01 XKR was probably bought third hand from its' third owner who had neither the knowledge nor money to properly take care of a car like this. I have seen many an older XJ whose interior had stood up very well for many more years than your friend's '01. Connolly hide seat facings require, at least annual, cleaning and applications of a good hide food to remain supple. Real wood veneer adhere to a plywood substrate (like Jaguar and Rolls-Royce use) looks far richer and more beautiful than the types of wood embellishment used in other cars (ranging fro fake plastic stuff to epoxy laminated as used in Mercedes, BMW and your Seville). The good stuff requires maintenance which is often neglected by second and third buyers, resulting in a shabby looking car. Unfortunately a shabby interior is usually an indication of neglected (expensive) maintenance of the mechanical parts of the car. If I were your friend I would sell this dog now, before it bites him but good!

Yeah, I 'spose you're right. The XJR is available for good prices these days, but then people run out of money to keep it nice. Just like an STS. But I still don't like the hard plastic on the doors. The STS has a few more soft touch materials.

My STS is immaculate, aside from the Arizona sun damaged hood. The XJR has ABS and TC codes. More signs of neglect. I bet an EBTCM for a Jag is cheap...:D

Destroyer
05-20-11, 09:30 AM
One of my friends bought an 01 XJR. It's beautiful to look at, and it's really fast (at least for a 4200 pound car). But the interior quality is terrible. The leather feels cheap, every surface is hard plastic, the wood cracks, and the power locks are broken. My STS makes the Jag look like a 90s Hyundai as far as interior quality.This whole thing is rather hard to swallow. Jags have always had very rich looking interiors. I don't see or feel the hard plastics and "cheap" leather you speak of. I have had a '96 Eldorado, a '96 STS and a '98 Deville and my feelings were quite the opposite. I will say that the Eldo and STS were better than the Deville inside but not nearly as elegant as the Jag.

Playdrv4me
05-21-11, 01:31 AM
The mid '90s XJ interior is actually a little plasticky looking around the gauge cluster area (its kind of a square 80s affair), but by 2001 this had more than been rectified.