: Someone keyed my V...

NOLA-ZR1
05-14-11, 01:18 PM
Hi All,

Just had to vent. Last night someone keyed my car, on the passenger side door and rear panel. :crying: I work at nights once a month and last night was the first night I had my V at work. I guess I'll call the police to get a report over the phone, for insurance. I'm a "what goes around comes around" kind of guy. So I hope the " :mad2: " gets there's.

This is the first time this has happened to me. How hard of a paint job is it to repair, matching wise?

Caddy Wagon
05-14-11, 01:28 PM
Ouch, sorry to hear that. What color is your V ? The special order colors will be hardest to match, with red probably being the hardest.

hulksdaddy
05-14-11, 01:29 PM
That sucks bud. If it were up to me, I'd burn the hand off whoever did sh!t like that.

Paint match will involve repainting the panels, then blending them to the surrounding panels. A good shop should be able to do a bang-up job. And really, the paint jobs aren't all that great on these cars anyway, so your re-paint will look better than stock in all probability.

NOLA-ZR1
05-14-11, 02:30 PM
Ouch, sorry to hear that. What color is your V ? The special order colors will be hardest to match, with red probably being the hardest.

White Diamond Tricoat....

GM-4-LIFE
05-14-11, 02:41 PM
Seriously, why do people do shit like that? Makes no sense! Must have been one jealous person to do that to a beautiful car like that. I am so sorry to hear about this. Most high quality body shops can easily computer match that paint. My local guy was able to match the black ice GM paint code found on the Escalade and it was a perfect match. Looked like brand new when we had to have the mirror replaced after my wife smashed it off backing out of our garage.

areuv
05-14-11, 03:20 PM
This is the first time this has happened to me. How hard of a paint job is it to repair, matching wise?

that totally sucks, it makes me so mad that some hater couldn't stand seeing a beautiful car like your V and became so jealous because he will probably never own a car like that and so he had to key the side of your car, it also sucks because if you go through your insurance there will be a carfax record of it and I don't care how good the repair is it still devalues the car somewhat because it has been painted, now in terms of how hard a paint job it is it's really straight forward, I am in the industry so I can give you some advice, first the color does matter in terms of color matching and blending technique, with black being the easiest and silvers and pearl whites being harder, obviously make sure you find the most reputable shop you can find (this doesn't necessarily mean the stealership), make sure they R&I everything on the repair panels ie; belt moldings, side mirror and all other trim, quarter glass or at least the molding around the quarter glass, drop the bumper in the back and R&I the taillight for refinishing the quarter, also try and keep the repair on the key scratches as small as possible, feather it all out and make sure they use a high quality primer, then just make sure they blend out the base coat properly and step the clear out on the adjacent panels and you should have a fairly undetectable repair

areuv
05-14-11, 03:29 PM
White Diamond Tricoat....

just saw this, it will be one of the harder colors to match because it is a white and it's also a three stage but a high end shop should be able to get it done for you without to much trouble, just pick the right bodyshop and make sure they use higher end materials such as Glasurit or Sickenns primers, base and clearcoat

qictrk
05-14-11, 04:09 PM
White Diamond is a tough one. Take it to a shop that knows what their doing. It's a 3 stage paint and getting down the right amount of color to match the others takes some skill. Cecil............

SleepTight
05-14-11, 05:36 PM
I feel for you bro. This type of shit just shouldn't happen, but unfortunately, they're lots of *******s on this planet who can't stand when other people have nice things.

Good luck with the paint match and I hope you're deductible's not too high.

JimmyH
05-14-11, 07:23 PM
That sucks bud. If it were up to me, I'd burn the hand off whoever did sh!t like that.

Paint match will involve repainting the panels, then blending them to the surrounding panels. A good shop should be able to do a bang-up job. And really, the paint jobs aren't all that great on these cars anyway, so your re-paint will look better than stock in all probability.

:yeah:

There is a body shop near me that has done work for me before. They must have Picasso working there. They blended part of the rear quarter and I am not kidding, even under close scrutiny you could not see it.

hlantin
05-14-11, 07:58 PM
man, that sucks! i hate hearing things like this happening to anyone. hope things work out for you and the paint matching. that person will get theirs...

wfo
05-14-11, 08:40 PM
Won't be hard to match this paint one bit. Very easily duplicated. Won't be too cheap as they need to cover quite a bit an area to get it consistant wit coverage and blending.

Trapspeed
05-15-11, 12:58 AM
Sorry to hear that. I am also a subscriber to your belief about karma. Sooner or later....you'll see. Best of luck with repairs.

thatcoder
05-15-11, 10:59 AM
Seriously, why do people do shit like that? Makes no sense! Must have been one jealous person to do that to a beautiful car like that. I am so sorry to hear about this. Most high quality body shops can easily computer match that paint. My local guy was able to match the black ice GM paint code found on the Escalade and it was a perfect match. Looked like brand new when we had to have the mirror replaced after my wife smashed it off backing out of our garage.

oh shit.. already?

u've got to love wives.. :)

thatcoder
05-15-11, 11:02 AM
back on topic..

take it to a detailer first.. if isn't down to the white meat (the metal), they should be able to sand out the clear coat, and try to buff it out.

i had a gaping deep cut due to side swiping my trash can down the entire left side.. on a black vehicle, and it came out like it was never there.