: Dealer Rip Off

chazglenn3
05-13-11, 09:58 PM
I spent an hour at the dealer today getting my navigation software updated. Or so I thought. I get home and check the diagnostic page and nothing has changed. I was suspicious before I left when the advisor said "if it is still acting up you can order the update disc and we will install it". I was late for another appointment so I left. I'm highly pissed off that he charged me an hour and apparently did nothing but wash the car. Obviously, he assumes that I have no way of knowing...WRONG! I am trying to decide if I should talk to him directly, or go to the service manager. After I get my money back (hopefully) I will try another dealer. I even brought him a printout of the freaking TSB.

EChas3
05-13-11, 10:29 PM
EWill3rd posted a note about 18 months ago about how many techs fail to perform the final step required.

If you search for his postings you might find it, print it, and provide a clue to the clueless. They should pay you for the education (like that would ever happen!)

chazglenn3
05-13-11, 11:03 PM
Since he told me I can order the disc, I just think the tech pencil whipped the job.

EChas3
05-13-11, 11:48 PM
The disk may not help you without a Tech II and the know-how to use it.

chazglenn3
05-13-11, 11:54 PM
I don't want the disc...that is just what he told me I would have to do to get the update. I would like to have the job I paid for done. And from what I have read, I can't even order the disc...dealers only. :banghead:

chazglenn3
05-18-11, 12:52 PM
Okay, so I called the service manager directly on Monday and expressed my displeasure with the "service" I received on Friday. The service advisor called me back and said that I was in luck and that they have the software disc in the parts department. So, I have another appointment tomorrow morning to hopefully get the system software upgrade done. I got my used lockpick yesterday, but I'll wait until after the upgrade to install it.

AllWheelEric
05-18-11, 11:49 PM
Whatever happened, that dealer owes you an apology!

chazglenn3
05-19-11, 12:11 AM
I'll let you know if I get one...I agree they owe me one.

dkozloski
05-19-11, 05:29 PM
Part of the problem may be that what you are really after is a firmware upgrade.

chazglenn3
05-19-11, 07:22 PM
Yes, but considering the fact that I handed them a copy of the TSB, they should know what I was requesting. Firmware is still just operating system software. At any rate, the firmware update was done today. Strangely enough, my preset buttons still weren't overwritten, but the config screen did change. I wonder if something still isn't right. I had to come straight to work from the dealership so I didn't have time to look at the diagnostic screen to double check the installed firmware. From what I have read, isn't the update supposed to erase the memory? And, there was not so much as a "I'm sorry" spoken.

chazglenn3
05-20-11, 12:19 AM
I just read the TSB again, and I'll be darned...it says to record the customers presets and to restore them after completing the update. So, my system is probably updated fully. And I got another car wash and vacuum to boot :)

z06bigbird
05-20-11, 02:28 AM
I spent an hour at the dealer today getting my navigation software updated. Or so I thought. I get home and check the diagnostic page and nothing has changed. I was suspicious before I left when the advisor said "if it is still acting up you can order the update disc and we will install it". I was late for another appointment so I left. I'm highly pissed off that he charged me an hour and apparently did nothing but wash the car. Obviously, he assumes that I have no way of knowing...WRONG! I am trying to decide if I should talk to him directly, or go to the service manager. After I get my money back (hopefully) I will try another dealer. I even brought him a printout of the freaking TSB.

Reverse the roles here. If I have a problem with your work, do you want me to go to your boss, or do you want me to go to you? Very simple situation.

EChas3
05-20-11, 10:31 PM
How often does an owner speak directly to a tech in a dealership, anyway?

There are good reasons for this. Most owners will just have a series of complaints without a clear definition of symptoms. Most techs won't have the people skills expected by owners of premium cars.

chazglenn3
05-20-11, 10:41 PM
Agreed. But it was the service adviser that I was speaking with...not the technician. I did speak to the service manager, but the return call came from the adviser. On an unrelated note, I was installing my lockpick last night and as I was routing the micro switch, I broke one of the wires. Friend of mine is fixing up the harness for me while I'm at work. I'll try to get it installed again tonight.

chazglenn3
05-21-11, 10:42 AM
Got the lockpick installed and working great and the nav system firmware is updated. Seems to me the young lady did a better job with voice recognition than before the upgrade, but that isn't why I had the upgrade done.