: 1st Time @ 1/4 Mile track tonight. Tips?

njdevilz1
05-13-11, 03:47 PM
Tonight will be my first time taking the V to the 1/4 mile track tonight.
My previous vehicle was a Jeep srt8 so more or less I have no experience with a RWD car at the track. I would just stage and mash the pedal when light turned green lol AWD ftw.

My car is auto / stock tires/ no mods yet.

From what I have been able to find so far is :
1.Put trans in sport mode auto.
2.Leave at idle
3.Touring suspension mode

What I would like to know is what level of TC should I use?
I think for the first run i will leave TC on and get used to rolling into the throttle?

Or perhaps TC one level off , roll into throttle , try to time it so pedal is mashed just before 1-2 shift or ease into throttle until on verge of loosing traction , mash it once it feels like it is hooking?
How would TC completely off work? Is it harder to roll or ease into it without losing traction? Is there alot of benefit of TC completely off vs. one level off? I can totally picture myself blipping on and off the gas all the way down the track , spinning down the track for a 15+ second time with TC in competitive mode lol.

Now here are some embarrassing questions:
1. Wetbox - do you sit in the wetbox with brakes on slightly and smoke the sh!t out of the tires ? Or do you drive around the wetbox and slightly do a quick little burnout? Or stage a little after the water crap and do small burn out? I just do not want to look like a tard but at the same time would like to do what is needed to warm the tires up as I know I will have traction issues with the stock tires and my driving ability.

2.What is a shallow / deep stage? I am guessing a shallow one is when you pull up to the line until the first top yellow light comes on? Or do you have to pull up far enough until both yellow top lights come on before you are good to go?

(sorry for the newb questions , as you can tall I have very limited track exp.)

jamesdean65
05-13-11, 03:52 PM
deep stage is when u roll up turn on first light then a bit more turn on second stage light, then roll up another 6 inches or so and top light will go out. that is deep stage, but easy to red light in deep.

jeffom
05-13-11, 03:59 PM
I just went this week, not great times but my MPH was almost 119 which made me happy mine is stock also. I went around the wet box , backed in TC off did a 5 second burn out and just let the break off and screached forward to see how they will grab. A long burn out with stock tires won't do anything for you. My best time was with TC off, sport shift mode. With TC on when it kicked in the engine bogged and it took time to get the RPM's back up tat was my slowest time. Good luck !!!! Lets us know your times when you get back.

jeffom
05-13-11, 04:00 PM
I guess if the traction is horrible try TC on with some runs.

serturbo
05-13-11, 04:23 PM
This should explain the lights.

http://www.staginglight.com/guide/react.html

newcadman
05-13-11, 05:27 PM
The launch technique has pretty well been covered.

After a few runs you'll quickly learn what technique works best for you.

You might wish to drop your rear tire pressure down to 25 psi and remove the the plastic supercharger shroud from the top of the engine. Remember these cars like COOL so whether you throw a bag of ice on the top of the engine between runs is up to you. At a minimum keep the hood wide open between runs. Also might want to see your gas tank around the 3/8 full mark.

Another item you might wish to utilize is a John Heinricy tip and that is turn on the A/C while on the return road ( this turns on both cooling fans) which helps bring the temps down. BTW, don't forget to turn the A/C off.

Best of luck.

Don't forget to let us know how you do.

cbloveday
05-13-11, 05:42 PM
Best tip I can give you is to relax and have fun! It is like golf. Don't over think things or you'll be sure to forget something. My first time, I put the car in 1st gear manual and thought it was in auto. I rev limited 1st gear. Talk about nerves. LOL

ChicagoV
05-13-11, 06:57 PM
I just went this week, not great times but my MPH was almost 119 which made me happy mine is stock also. I went around the wet box , backed in TC off did a 5 second burn out and just let the break off and screached forward to see how they will grab. A long burn out with stock tires won't do anything for you. My best time was with TC off, sport shift mode. With TC on when it kicked in the engine bogged and it took time to get the RPM's back up tat was my slowest time. Good luck !!!! Lets us know your times when you get back.

How 'bout some photos of that matte V?

jeffom
05-13-11, 08:29 PM
Crappy phone pic..

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac163/jeffom/Picture001.jpg

JimmyH
05-13-11, 09:07 PM
Nest tip I can give you is to relax and have fun! It is like golf. Don't over think things or you'll be sure to forget something. My first time, I put the car in 1st gear manual and thought it was in auto. I rev limited 1st gear. Talk about nerves. LOL

I can't tell you how many times I forgot to turn off TC. There's nothing like nailing the launch just to have the power turned off half a second later.

baabootoo
05-13-11, 11:30 PM
So you had a bad run with it left on? First timers should leave it all on, and just floor it. This one isn't too invasive at all. I made two runs last year, and both were very low 12s, and it was all left on and in Sport mode like you said. I'll continue to do that when I go this Fall also.

sykoV
05-14-11, 04:31 AM
how was it

njdevilz1
05-14-11, 01:48 PM
I guess it went 'OK' lol.
I was all over the place , literally and figuratively. My times were all over the place as well as losing traction ;)
Car still has the original rubber on it and had a hard time trying to hook.

I tried various methods with TC , sport mode , manual sport mode etc.
Best run was with tc off one notch and trans. in sport mode leaving at idle,suspention in touring.

DA last night was 2700 and best run was 12.96 @ 114 MPH
I was hard lapping it as there was literally only a handful of people out last night and they were just letting people go straight up head to head all night.
It was pretty sweet as if a person wanted , you could have made a pass every 2 minutes if you wanted to.

My best time was after I already made about 6 back to back passes.
60' times were horrible , around the 2.2+ area.

It was the first weekend of the season here so the track wasn't the greatest.
Made me feel somewhat better that the best run a C6 Z06 made all night was 12.96... 2 hundredths faster than my stock 4 door family sedan :sneaky:

As it cooled off at night , it was even harder for me to figure out how to best roll into the throttle without losing traction. Last run was horrible 60' and ET but my trap speed was decent @ 116 MPH.

All in all I had a blast. Just need to realize I am not going to perfect it after only making 8 runs. I need to practice some more and invest in some new rubber. Any suggestions as to what are a decent set of tires? Does Nitto make anything decent for our cars?

What I am kinda worried about , is why my ass end still comes out when I have TC on? Even in town when I am messing around my a$$ end fishtails even with TC on and not even getting on the pedal all the way?

sykoV
05-14-11, 02:04 PM
Sounds alot like my night 12.8 @117 in my corvette

JimmyH
05-14-11, 02:36 PM
What I am kinda worried about , is why my ass end still comes out when I have TC on? Even in town when I am messing around my a$$ end fishtails even with TC on and not even getting on the pedal all the way?

Even stock, you have 550+ hp. Electronics can only reign in so much. If you are modded, and putting that much to the wheels, forget TC. It ain't happening.

EVIL_C5
05-14-11, 02:51 PM
12.9's with 2.2 60 foots in 2700 foot DA isnt bad....114 mph, the car is making the power for that DA.

im sure corrected it probably 12.30-12.40 which is dead on for most stock v's with average 60 foots.

Trapspeed
05-15-11, 12:12 AM
Most of your questions have been answered already but I didn't read too much about the water. Unless you are on slicks avoid the water. The only thing it's good for on grooved tires is to sling into the wheel wells and drip onto your tires while you're waiting to launch. Water on the tires= no good. Look at your 60' times like this: shave a tenth out of the hole, gain about .2 at the trap. If you cut to a 1.9 see where your 1/4 time would be?!

mpouls1
05-15-11, 01:19 PM
Temperature.
Track prep.
Fuel level.

Can make a big difference in traction. You had a good time. Looking for better rubber sounds like you got the bug now lol.

njdevilz1
05-15-11, 01:52 PM
I had a blast and will be going again for sure.
I want to learn how improve on my previous time and my main goal is to be able to be consistent and put down good 60' times now.

I think I may be in trouble now though as I want to start to add things to make me go faster lol. First things first , I need to learn how to put the HP to the ground effectively before I go tweaking things such as lower pulley/tune/cai/ etc.

Trapspeed
05-15-11, 02:49 PM
First things first , I need to learn how to put the HP to the ground effectively before I go tweaking things such as lower pulley/tune/cai/ etc.

Exactly! Or this will only lead to serious frustrations at the track! Ask me how I know. What you don't want is a 14.1 @ 120 slip!!!