: Tires

ProImaging
05-13-11, 03:09 PM
what are the best choices for replacement tires. mine's getting close to needing some.

CTSV4now
05-13-11, 03:14 PM
How many miles did you get out of the stock ones?

ProImaging
05-13-11, 03:53 PM
its at 14k right now.

jb_bgg
05-13-11, 03:57 PM
Hankook's on mine.

rjoffe
05-13-11, 04:10 PM
http://www.ctsvparts.com/tire-sizes if it helps

Busabob
05-13-11, 04:24 PM
Hankook's on mine.

Me too, like them a lot so far. Only 500 miles but taking them on a punishing trip next weekend with lots of 1G stuff.

OP - I got 22k out of my OE tires??

David Nicholas
05-13-11, 05:09 PM
If you are looking for optimum performance, the OEMs are hard to beat. If you are willing to make some compromise, Hankook is a good lower cost option, but Mich Pilot Sport AS Plus (FR) with Mich Pilot Sport AS Plus ZP, (Rear) is also worthy.

The Hankooks, (which I have only tried on another car), have many of the features of the OEM compound, but seem to have some "unCadillac" driving features, and will not be long-lived.

The Pilot Sport AS tires perform very well, are smooth, quiet, and will probably go 30K+ miles. They will lose to the Hankooks and OEM on the track, but they will not lose by much.

wfo
05-13-11, 05:09 PM
Nitto Invos are great!

DoingOK
05-13-11, 05:24 PM
I have a friend that just returned from Florida testing the new Michelin Super Sports and he has completely raved about them. He also was in Dubai with Michelin testing that same tire. I ordered 285x30x20 and 255x35x20 Super Sports for my new wheels. I agree though, the OEM tires are very good.

ProImaging
05-13-11, 06:05 PM
its a DD for my wife so id want something that will last longer than the stock tires...lol

Teutonaddict
05-13-11, 06:43 PM
I have a friend that just returned from Florida testing the new Michelin Super Sports and he has completely raved about them. He also was in Dubai with Michelin testing that same tire. I ordered 285x30x20 and 255x35x20 Super Sports for my new wheels. I agree though, the OEM tires are very good.

Everything I've read on the new PSS is phenomenal. Better performance envelope, plus significantly improved treadwear. Unfortunately, there's no timeline on sizes for those of us with OE-sized wheels. I bet you're gonna love 'em!!

baabootoo
05-14-11, 12:53 AM
Read the reviews at Tire Rack and go from there. They have a lot more info than three people here. :)

ProImaging
05-14-11, 09:05 AM
i was just seeing what results were for the guys on here. ive always been a michelin fan. just didnt want to buy a tire that wouldnt get but 10 to 15k before needing replacement. the car hauls the kids to school and the wife to work. its not like shes road coursing every other weekend and i havent had a chance to sneak it off to the track...lol

marktanner
05-14-11, 05:02 PM
Just got Continental Conti-Extreme DWs in stock sizes,at 18K miles. Much cheaper than the PS2s, and supposed to last longer, too. Top rated in the Tire Rack comparison test. I only have about 200 miles on them currently, so all of the release compound is not worn off yet, but my early impression is a much better ride and much quieter. It seems pretty grippy, too, with less noise and feedback at the limit. They do not steer as crisply as the Michelins, and are not quite as stable in quick maneuvers, so far, but I haven't really played with them much yet. Tire pressures can make a big difference, and these tires have a more flexible side-wall than the PS2s.

I would have gone for the Super Sports, but there is no known release date in the stock sizes, and my tires were pretty well gone. I have a hard time paying premium dollars for a tire that came out seven years ago, and is now being replaced, so the PS2s disappeared off my shopping list. I have a feeling the Suoer Sports may be my next tires, though.

dtwalkerfl
05-14-11, 05:08 PM
I have Vredestein Ultrac Sessanti tires on my wife's CLS550 and love them. I went with them in 255/35ZR20 front and 285/30ZR20 rear on TSW Interlagos. Love them.

Teutonaddict
05-14-11, 10:20 PM
I would have gone for the Super Sports, but there is no known release date in the stock sizes, and my tires were pretty well gone. I have a hard time paying premium dollars for a tire that came out seven years ago, and is now being replaced, so the PS2s disappeared off my shopping list. I have a feeling the Suoer Sports may be my next tires, though.

Agree with Super Sports as likely next set. I'm in the same boat and am replacing mine tomorrow. I've opted to go with the Bridgestone RE-11's in not-quite-stock sizes on my OE wheels (265/35-19 and 305/30-19). I was very close to going the Conti's but there's a weekend-only deal that tipped the scales in the RE-11's favor.

GMX322V S/C
05-15-11, 12:03 AM
Everything I've read on the new PSS is phenomenal. Better performance envelope, plus significantly improved treadwear. Unfortunately, there's no timeline on sizes for those of us with OE-sized wheels. I bet you're gonna love 'em!!+1. If they were available in OEM sizes, I'd be all over them.

nsaness
05-15-11, 12:59 AM
The Conti Extreme DW's are good, but the Michelin PS2 are simply the best. I have bought a lot of tires in my life and the Michelin PS2 is the best I have ever owned for the way I drive my V. I look forward to putting on the (reportedly better) Pilot Super Sports (after they come in the proper size)... If you want to keep the stock wheels and need a DOT tire that will not risk your life in a rain storm: For hard driving on the track, the dragstrip, and the street; there is no other choice than the PS2.