: Some have absolutely NO business sense

mckellyb
05-13-11, 12:55 PM
:rant2:

I called my wife, today, to have her call the place, Autonet in D/FW, from which I'm supposed to be getting the '05 STS 1SG, tomorrow, and these people may be positively incapable of telling the truth.

First, when I put down a deposit to hold it, 'cause the banks were closed, one of the two owners said, after I asked if it would be driven any more, he said, "no, we take them off the road and store them inside". This wasn't the "salesman"/co-owner who I spoke to, originally, 'cause he'd left seconds after we did. I literally drove around the block, thought, "yeah, it's worth the risk", and went back.

Today, the other business owner states, quite clearly, it's his car, says he's been driving it, but put only about a hundred miles on it. I'd put money on him not having covered parking, much less a garage in which to put it. It's hail season here in Texas...

Now I'm downright annoyed.

My wife then asks if it'll be clean and ready-to-go, tomorrow. Bonehead, I mean, the "owner", I mean the salesman...the supposed business owner says, "it was detailed when we got it". Yeah, doofus, a freakin' month ago, when you started using it as a DD. With all the personal crap in the trunk, it looked like you were living in it.

Idiot, at best, your company owns it, not you. There is a significant difference.

:thepan:

Gawd...is this the new standard business model? I thought times were bad enough idiots would have been removed quickly and cleanly from the business genetic pool.

end :rant2:

Sorry, just had to vent after encountering so much idiocy. I'm still excited it may be mine, tomorrow, but I'm also beginning to think they're going to make life difficult, and try to keep my deposit if I find damage/problems which weren't there last weekend. We'll not mention, yet, they claimed, with a straight-face, it has a "clean" title, when in fact, it's anything but with LEMON BUYBACK on it.

Morons...see you in court, should you attempt additional shennanigans.

Greg00coupe
05-13-11, 01:03 PM
from your original post I'd suggest you got a good enough deal to swallow and move on.......enjoy!!!

caddyfat2
05-13-11, 02:15 PM
no deal is a good deal if you get screwed in the process!
( i would request my money back and look for another one)

mckellyb
05-13-11, 03:05 PM
no deal is a good deal if you get screwed in the process!
( i would request my money back and look for another one)

True. However, I'm looking @ a $15K car, for likely 'round
$9,300. My upper limit, knowing what I know about it has
dropped.

I've been looking around, and the only other one in the past
coupla months had a freakin' salvage title and a fake convertible
but they wanted around $13K.

One problem is, my current ride is past tired. I think the only way
This STS doesn't pan out for me is if I find additional badness
when I roll around under it, on a creeper.

chazglenn3
05-13-11, 03:14 PM
I'm with you. That car would be very hard for me to pass up for less than $10K...especially less than $9,500. Unless you find something very wrong like you mentioned.

550HP STSV
05-13-11, 03:51 PM
I think you need to realize you're buying a 2005 STS with over 100k miles for $9500 here. NNot exactly some type of expensive, rare, or new car. Need I remind you that $9500 will get you a nice 2009 cobalt....

chazglenn3
05-13-11, 05:57 PM
You couldn't give me a Cobalt.

mckellyb
05-13-11, 06:39 PM
Need I remind you that $9500 will get you a nice 2009 cobalt....

Oxymoron.

Also, $10K, after taxes, ain't exactly pocket change for most, if not all, of us.

I could, in theory, buy a brand-new car, but that's a painful concept. Even a new $30K car...for me, there are no appealing ones. I've looked.

Your argument does not hold water.

I'm addressing the fact the "dealer" has lied on multiple points. Douchebaggery is the flavor, erk, of the day.

I still plan to go over there in the AM. Homeboy doesn't arrive 'till 10, which is good, being as I'm still in Raleigh, NC, headed to D/FW, and our place is a solid hour from the 'port.

KRSTS
05-13-11, 07:12 PM
Used car dealers are all liars:lies:

dkozloski
05-13-11, 07:28 PM
Buy/sell used cars is a game like the old horse traders used to play. Getting one over on the other party is part of the thrill of the chase. If the stakes of the game are too high for you, you can buy yourself a half-pint of whiskey and stay in the wagon yard.

KRSTS
05-13-11, 08:03 PM
I love to play the game. The key is to not get emotionally involved or you will lose:tisk:

mckellyb
05-13-11, 08:23 PM
Having sold new cars for a short time back in the early-90's, while in college, I love the fact I can get as much info as they can, and more than they obviously have, now.

Dealers prey on lack of consumer knowledge, and they're not bashful about it. It's a downright disgusting business. I did okay in my three months of new-car sales, but I couldn't live with myself, knowing these people were getting downright ripped off.

Anyone who says "car dealers don't work like that, anymore", is likely a character in the real-life version of <i>Call Me Fitz</i>.

A funny show, BTW, especially if you've been in the biz, and were sickened by it.

I figure, I'll go in, offer $7,700, when they laugh, I'll ask for a counter...when they come back with $9800 from $10K, I'll go up to 7,900, and we'll play until I'm increasing a dollar at a time. Mind you, they still claim to not have a title, but ran a Carfax on it, so they know about the Buyback problem, but also claim they MUST FIX IT.

Sigh. Dealing with idiots is, if nothing else, entertaining...to a point.

Last time I was at a used car dealer, for a '96 Grand Cherokee 5.9L, the number they came back with was $4K more than the "internet price", and was a "moving price", which was no longer valid. I countered with an offer lower than my original, which was still close to their original "moving price" and threw them for a loop. Made me smile, though.

Morons.

"But we go through these cars with a fine-toothed comb, looking for all problems...we spend $500-$1000 on each of them!"

Yeah...then why does this one have both a burned out parking light, as indicated by the obvious in-car warning display, and a burned-out headlight?

As I thought...lying morons.

EChas3
05-13-11, 09:51 PM
If you want to play, 20 dollar bills stack up bigger than 50's or hundred's. 50 Franklin's + 50 Grant's + 50 Jackson's = $8,500. Cash is impressive. A growing stack and the willingness to walk away speaks volumes. My wife doesn't use cash to strike a good deal when buying a car; she just looks good walking away...

On the other hand, if the price is right and you want the car, How much would it really cost you to have it 'portered'. Around here, it's less than $100. Is it worth a few bucks or an <censored>'s attitude to lose the deal?

turnne
05-13-11, 10:23 PM
Oxymoron.

Also, $10K, after taxes, ain't exactly pocket change for most, if not all, of us.

I could, in theory, buy a brand-new car, but that's a painful concept. Even a new $30K car...for me, there are no appealing ones. I've looked.

Your argument does not hold water.

I'm addressing the fact the "dealer" has lied on multiple points. Douchebaggery is the flavor, erk, of the day.

I still plan to go over there in the AM. Homeboy doesn't arrive 'till 10, which is good, being as I'm still in Raleigh, NC, headed to D/FW, and our place is a solid hour from the 'port.

Oxymoron?..really?

whether the 10K( plus taxes) is pocket change for any( or all) in this forum has nothing to do with with what the car is worth

That being said...if you feel you are getting a below market deal...then take it for what its worth and pay $80 to get it detailed

If you are not..you can find another car..likely at a Cadillac dealer where you can pay full retail and have all of the things this seller is deficient in

Rule Number one of buying any car

Have the right expectations for what you are paying

Warren

mckellyb
05-14-11, 12:05 AM
"Nice 2009 Cobalt"

Oxy. Moron.

550HP STSV
05-14-11, 10:42 AM
Oxymoron?..really?

whether the 10K( plus taxes) is pocket change for any( or all) in this forum has nothing to do with with what the car is worth

That being said...if you feel you are getting a below market deal...then take it for what its worth and pay $80 to get it detailed

If you are not..you can find another car..likely at a Cadillac dealer where you can pay full retail and have all of the things this seller is deficient in

Rule Number one of buying any car

Have the right expectations for what you are paying

Warren

This is the point I was trying to get across. Generally when you are bottom dollar shopping a car, the customer service is lacking. Likewise, if you are looking for the best service: go to a Cadillac dealership. Not only will you pay top dollar, but you will get your shoes shined, a free lunch, knowledgeable sales staff, and even a free GPS or trip to florida with your over inflated purchase.

Realize you are paying below book for a highly used 7 year old car.

mckellyb
05-14-11, 11:21 AM
No, no, no. I'm not expecting, and don't want, to have lunch, be fawned over, or any crap like that. All I want is for PROMISES MADE TO BE UPHELD.

It's not that difficult. If there is a reasonable chance it cannot be upheld, don't make the promise. Quite simple.

The detailing bit bothered my wife more than I, 'cause she saw the trunk, which looked like a footlocker of crap. Hell, the last car, after I had it "professionally" cleaned, I spent three more hours going through and cleaning it well.

I'm far from a neat/clean freak, but I want all of the "previous owner(s)" out of it.

turnne
05-15-11, 06:15 PM
No, no, no. I'm not expecting, and don't want, to have lunch, be fawned over, or any crap like that. All I want is for PROMISES MADE TO BE UPHELD.

It sounds like you have retail price expectations

whatever they say is somewhat beside the point...as I think you need to walk into the deal expecting below "retail" levels of service...whatever that may be in the particular situation

If you get "retail treatment" from a situation that involves far below a retail price..I say you are a lucky person and not to become accustomed to that situation

You need to understand that in these transactions the word "subjective" takes on a new meaning......what you think is clean and what was promised typically takes another angle( in their eyes) with these types of deals

While at a retail price sale you find that your expectations( definitions) of these words are much closer together

Understand what you can and what you will not put up with based on the pricing etc and take it from there

IMO...the best , car dealer wise, situations have been from Mercedes Benz dealers..I have owned 3 MB's and when I lived in Dallas I thought Park Place motorcars were the best I have ever seen

I still believe that to this day...as your car was cleaned and vacuumed at every service visit. You were given appt times..greeted at the service drive by a valet, typically by name
if your car wasn't going to be ready by the time they told you..they called you with an apology, before hand
State of the art waiting room with a business center for the busy corporate professional

BUT...open your wallet...as they charged full retail for everything..frankly, retail and likely then some

So....the moral of the story
Don't have the wrong expectations for what you are paying...

Warren

turnne
05-15-11, 06:23 PM
"Nice 2009 Cobalt"

Oxy. Moron.

100% subjective

Someone could say the same thing about the 7 year old STS you are looking at buying

Warren

EChas3
05-16-11, 08:01 PM
^^^ You gotta expect to pay to get the best. Not that many people think it's worth it. That says more about people than about dealers.