: Hawk ceramics - a shout out

khoeysr
05-13-11, 10:46 AM
When I switched to the yellow calipers about a month ago I also swapped out my brake pads to Hawk ceramics. As many of you said, I agree that they are so much cleaner than the original equipment pads. I have been on the road of late and I could always count on my front wheels being all blacked up. The Hawks are virtually dustless; the wheels stay much much cleaner, and the work you have to do when washing the car is much less.

I give them a big thumbs up.

DoingOK
05-13-11, 10:51 AM
My thoughts exactly. Yellow calipers are still yellow, haven't had to clean them at all.

EVIL_C5
05-13-11, 10:58 AM
i want to switch to ceramics, but figure I will do it after V day..... :)

Antero
05-13-11, 11:43 AM
Any noise? How does they compare to stock stopping power?

khoeysr
05-13-11, 02:05 PM
I notice no noise, still can reenter earth's atmosphere in a reasonable amount of time.

Stopping power seems unchanged, but then I don't track it or really push it on a consistent basis.

baabootoo
05-13-11, 02:51 PM
Yep, ceramics are the only way to go. I save the stockers for using at the track then since they swap out so easy.

SleepTight
05-13-11, 04:22 PM
Can I get a brief refresher on the Hawk ceramic pad replacement scenario? I assume we are talking about the performance street line, but what are the part numbers front and rear? Also, how much do they run?

JFJr
05-13-11, 09:37 PM
Others have reported more noise. What about increased rotor wear? Can those with negative experiences share them? If they are so great why weren't they OEM? My perspective is that of the daily driver.

Jud
(Sent from my iPhone 4)

neverl8
05-23-11, 12:08 AM
Are we talking about the Hawk pads in the yellow box? Part numbers please.

Xtreme70SS
05-23-11, 07:41 PM
Are the stockers "better" in terms of stopping power than the ceramics then?

Bigron
05-23-11, 10:38 PM
Are we talking about the Hawk pads in the yellow box? Part numbers please.

According to tirerack:
Front Fitment: Manufacturer Part #: HB649Z.605
Rear Fitment: Manufacturer Part #: HB194Z.570

RogersV
05-24-11, 12:53 PM
If you want a no dust pad that stops as good as stock and you don't mind saving a little money, go with the Centric pads. I had them on a Charger SRT8 for three years and now on the V2 for a year and a half with great results. If on the other hand you want to buy the expensive name brand ceramics that will eat your rotors, that's another choice. Scroll to the bottom of the below site.

http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=392_780_1148

wetcoast
05-24-11, 03:47 PM
I just put Hawk HPS pads on this weekend. No dust so far and same stopping power. When I e-mailed Zechhausen to ask about the ceramics they said that I would be giving up way too much stopping power. I'm happy with the HPS and I'll report the dust as time wears on

Teutonaddict
05-24-11, 04:12 PM
If you want a no dust pad that stops as good as stock and you don't mind saving a little money, go with the Centric pads. I had them on a Charger SRT8 for three years and now on the V2 for a year and a half with great results. If on the other hand you want to buy the expensive name brand ceramics that will eat your rotors, that's another choice.

I, too, have gone the Centric (now owns Stop-Tech) semi-metallic route. Got both front and rears from RockAuto for <$85(!!) I find the stopping characteristics to be on par with OE, and the dusting to be FAR better than stock. Night and day difference. I had to break up my brake job into two sessions (kid sick at school) so I didn't do the rears until 3 weeks after the fronts. In that time, with zero washes (SHAME!!) my front wheels were significantly cleaner than the rears with factory pads.

FWIW, I will do a dedicated track pad setup when I get to the road courses, so this is for spirited daily-driving only.

Here's a link on the pad characteristics for the rears:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1278055

khoeysr
05-27-11, 02:15 PM
Not so fast, my friend.

Since I started this I thought I should update based on a recent development of a "not real bad" squeaking. I say "not real bad" to the average person, but it is driving me nuts. Probably in the last two weeks. I have about 2000 miles on the pads. haven't found a way to make it go away.

No issues at all with stopping power, and they are REALLY clean.