: 1978 Sedan Deville horns.

pompste
05-13-11, 01:46 AM
My horns on my '78 Deville are sounding wimpy,so i finally figured a way to get at them today.I got the plastic cover off that covers them near the front/radiator and 1 of the wire clip connectors to 1 horn was loose/disconnected.I put the connector back on and then zip-tied it to keep it tight.Big difference in horn sound since both horns work now---but i want the classic Caddy train/boat sounding horns.
I noticed there are pre-drilled holes for 2 more horns on the front right hand side,but "no" extra wiring and screw clips for the holes.
If i manage to locate 2 more horns,not sure of the notes A,C,D or F,---how are they wired? And will the 2 extra horns require a new horn relay?
Thanks for any help.

Bro-Ham
05-13-11, 02:16 PM
The resident expert on Trumpet horns is Craig - 77CDV.

I owned a 78 Sedan deVille with standard horn and agree that it's not an exciting sound, but when you have a big huge Cadillac and lay on the trumpet horn it's pure magic sounding and an impressive introduction to your fine larger than life American luxo-barge. :)

77CDV
05-13-11, 02:56 PM
Standard horns are D and F. The two additional horns are A and C. When these cars were new and the trumpet horn option ordered, there was an extra wire that attached to the inboard driver's side horn. It in turn had three extra terminals: one to receive current from the outboard driver's side horn and two more to power the extra two horns on the driver's side. I was fortunate to find all the stuff I needed to add the trumpet horn to my 77 from my local j-yard. Getting harder to find them now, but may still be able to find on ebay. You must use the horns off a 77-79 C car, as the brackets from earlier and later years are different and won't fit.

If you find the horns but not the wiring, you can create wiring from parts from Radio Shack. I did this with my 69 FWB, and it worked wonderfully well.

Bro-Ham
05-13-11, 04:44 PM
Craig, Of the trumpet horns, which is the lowest? After an extreme horn honking incident a year or so ago with an obnoxious prius driver I burned out the lowest toned horn - the horn still sounds distinctive but needs that deepest sound. :)

pompste
05-13-11, 07:09 PM
Standard horns are D and F. The two additional horns are A and C. When these cars were new and the trumpet horn option ordered, there was an extra wire that attached to the inboard driver's side horn. It in turn had three extra terminals: one to receive current from the outboard driver's side horn and two more to power the extra two horns on the driver's side. I was fortunate to find all the stuff I needed to add the trumpet horn to my 77 from my local j-yard. Getting harder to find them now, but may still be able to find on ebay. You must use the horns off a 77-79 C car, as the brackets from earlier and later years are different and won't fit.

If you find the horns but not the wiring, you can create wiring from parts from Radio Shack. I did this with my 69 FWB, and it worked wonderfully well.

Great info! I know it would be a real hassle just finding the A & C horns,and then the wiring of it.Might be more than i want to tackle.
Perhaps i should find some type of one piece train sounding horn that will work off the existing wiring set up.I may be able to rig something up if the brackets are different.
If anyone knows of a source for a train sounding horn,one or two piece,please chime in.

pompste
05-13-11, 07:21 PM
The resident expert on Trumpet horns is Craig - 77CDV.

I owned a 78 Sedan deVille with standard horn and agree that it's not an exciting sound, but when you have a big huge Cadillac and lay on the trumpet horn it's pure magic sounding and an impressive introduction to your fine larger than life American luxo-barge. :)

Exactly right man----a big huge Caddy and train sounding horns go together real well.
Imagine just the having the 1 highest pitched horn working---that`s what i had ever since i bought this ride a year and a half ago.I did`nt even know the other horn was disconnected until i got in there and re-connected the deeper sounding horn yesterday.
I was actually embarrased to lay on the horn with that ultra-wimpy high pitched tweet.There were actually a few times when i needed to lay on the horn in traffic--then i thought "faaa-get-about it" and went silent instead.

deVille33
05-13-11, 11:46 PM
I posted the info on these horns 2 years ago. I believe there is only 1 part # left available from GM.

77CDV
05-14-11, 02:13 AM
Craig, Of the trumpet horns, which is the lowest? After an extreme horn honking incident a year or so ago with an obnoxious prius driver I burned out the lowest toned horn - the horn still sounds distinctive but needs that deepest sound. :)

I believe the D horn is the lower of the two standard horns.

Bro-Ham
05-14-11, 11:29 AM
I believe the D horn is the lower of the two standard horns.

Which is the lowest of the trumpet horns? Thanks. :)

77CDV
05-14-11, 10:44 PM
The lower of the two optional horns is A.

pompste
05-14-11, 11:06 PM
I posted the info on these horns 2 years ago. I believe there is only 1 part # left available from GM.

Where can i find your post on these horns & do you remember the title of the thread?

jayoldschool
05-14-11, 11:11 PM
Also worth noting that the four note horns were not Cadillac-exclusive. I pulled a set out of my old 75 Buick LeSabre for my 71.

cadillac kevin
05-15-11, 01:37 AM
IIRC any GM horns of that design from that era will work. as jay said, the horns arent exclusive. It's the combo of horns that GM used that gave each car their unique sound.

deVille33
05-15-11, 09:19 PM
I did a search and could not locate the thread. Perhaps I missed it. Click on my title and go to Veiw Forum Posts. There you will find a heading with my posts, which will give you all the posts made by me.

brougham
05-16-11, 07:34 PM
I can't remember what the 70s horns look like but if you don't care about their appearance most FWD Cadillacs in the 80s had them and they are all over junk yards.

pompste
05-16-11, 11:31 PM
I can't remember what the 70s horns look like but if you don't care about their appearance most FWD Cadillacs in the 80s had them and they are all over junk yards.

We`ve got a fairly local junkyard that has a bunch of old Caddy parts in it.I will be checking there soon.E-bay does`nt have the horns i need currently.
Only problem with using horns from the '80`s is the brackets won`t fit..I don`t care what the appearance of the horns is since they`re not visible from the outside anyway.
I`m still on the fence about how the extra A & C note horns are wired up to the standard D & F note ones,and if the standard horn relay can handle all 4 horns.
I`ve also been looking online for a possible newer tech one-piece design horn that could be wired in with the existing connections and has a train/boat sound---no luck yet.

77CDV
05-17-11, 12:16 AM
There is no special relay needed for the trumpet horn option. I think if you were to look at a wiring diagram, the horns are set up in parallel.

cadillac kevin
05-17-11, 01:43 AM
there isnt a difference in wiring between the 2 and 4 horn setup. I might have the 2 extra horns for you, but I'd have to check to see what notes the "trumpet" horns were for fleetwood broughams (I put them on mine, but want a deeper sound than the factory 4 horn setup)

pompste
05-17-11, 02:01 AM
there isnt a difference in wiring between the 2 and 4 horn setup. I might have the 2 extra horns for you, but I'd have to check to see what notes the "trumpet" horns were for fleetwood broughams (I put them on mine, but want a deeper sound than the factory 4 horn setup)

The horn notes should be the same for Fleetwoods and Devilles,Kevin.D & F notes standard,and A & C notes are the additional 2 for the trumpet sound.
That`s cool you want a deeper sound than the 4 horns now-----what are you considering for a deeper sound?

brougham
05-17-11, 02:46 AM
The wiring usually has a plug that connects where each of the original horns do and then has 2 plugs. Pretty much a splitter. Or you can just splice it into the wiring that's already there. No big deal.
You can bend the horn bracket to make it fit and even drill a hole in it if you have to.

pompste
05-19-11, 06:36 AM

Any word yet on the 2 extra horns,Kevin?

notease
12-07-11, 08:16 AM
Interesting thread!
Anyone got more info or even the missing Horns A,C Note for me also ?

jayoldschool
12-07-11, 10:22 AM
Just find a Cadillac in a junkyard. The four horns are very easy to take out. I removed the four horns from my parts car to use in my Caprice.

This thread from the wagon forum will show you everything you need to know:

http://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t3812-4-note-tugboat-horn-install?highlight=horn

cadillac kevin
12-07-11, 10:39 AM
Interesting thread!
Anyone got more info or even the missing Horns A,C Note for me also ?
I can get you a set if you're interested the next time I go to the junkyard (won't be until it gets above 50 here again)
what you will need is one A horn and one C horn (available on fwd caddies and buicks as well as our beloved rwd caddies), 2 horn screws, and 2 splitters (if you have a fleetwood) or a harness made up to go to the right side of the car and 2 splitters (if you have a deville). for steves car, I put a splitter in place one of the left side horns, a harness to go to the right side of the car, then another splitter to pick up the 2 horns on the right side of the car.

pompste
12-07-11, 10:42 AM
As jayoldschool stated,check salvage yards.Check e-bay.com also.
I was fortunate and got my 2 extra horns from Cadillac Kevin here on this site.The horns sound great!
I did have to modify the brackets and drill 2 holes in them to make them fit.

robb257731
12-08-11, 10:00 AM
Great info! I know it would be a real hassle just finding the A & C horns,and then the wiring of it.Might be more than i want to tackle.
Perhaps i should find some type of one piece train sounding horn that will work off the existing wiring set up.I may be able to rig something up if the brackets are different.
If anyone knows of a source for a train sounding horn,one or two piece,please chime in.

I think you should get a horn that plays 'La Cucaracha'. LOL.

dennis93coupe
12-08-11, 10:11 AM
A lot of the last "C" body Deville from 89 to 93 had 4 horns. I'd grab a full set and take as much harness possible from a salvage yard as possible. I'm going to the salvage yard today for a bunch of other parts, PM me if you want.

notease
12-14-11, 02:19 PM
Dennis93 & Cadillac Kelvin if you go to junkyard and find the matching 2 additional horns (with the old style, single connector ) would be great if you could grab them!

The-Dullahan
12-15-11, 02:04 AM
Sometimes, I wish my car came with options (Curse of The Commercial Chassis). Trumpet horns would be fun.

Instead, I just added some extra Klaxon horns and a devious little piece I built in my garage.

http://youtu.be/1G1Y15D3BE8

I think I should check some local Junkyards for parts soon and should keep an eye out for horns (I have instead been building functional Opera Lamps, but that is top secret info)

I actually planned a trip soon, hoping for some stock steel rims for the Lincoln, but found a separate outlet to provide them (And a whole parts car)

Anyone have any photos or diagrams for the four trumpet horn setup?

SafariOne
12-15-11, 03:31 AM
JC whitney has a great selection of horns, right train horns to ocean liner horns. jcwhitney.com

RocketFast321
12-15-11, 04:42 PM
I got my 4 horns off a FWD Buick Park Ave. They sound just as good. I used the factory wiring on my alero. And added a little wire here and their. :thumbsup:

notease
01-17-12, 04:10 AM
I am still on the run for the additional original horns

Bro-Ham
01-17-12, 05:48 PM
here is a set on ebay for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150737937258&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:US:1123

RocketFast321
01-19-12, 12:35 PM
I am still on the run for the additional original horns

junk yard

cadillac kevin
01-19-12, 09:50 PM
I would be able to get a set for you next time I go to the junkyard. Which letter horns would you need?