: Knocking sound under hood at idle

Trapspeed
05-12-11, 09:21 PM
Hello, all. I bought an '09 V on Monday afternoon that has 33K on it. The car is extremely clean and runs great. One thing that I noticed very quickly when I lifted the hood to check it out was I could hear an intermittent "knock" that popped up every 10-15 seconds or so and then went away. Having spent a lot of time around performance cars and such, I am aware of some of the little quirks of blowers and was wondering about this to the shop tech where I bought it. Having spent the last couple of hours getting more information about these cars reading this board and trying to search for a possible cause the only thing I could find was a reference to a "torsional isolator" used in the supercharger. Although this car is still under warranty (and will be getting a thorough once-over" next week) I was wondering if this could be the issue I am hearing.

Also, can someone explain the "wheel click" issue I've read about? Most members seem to know what it is when someone mentions it but I can't find a solid explanation on it. Thanks everyone. I am looking forward to a long lasting, trouble-free relationship with this magnificent automobile. :thumbsup:

Ross L
05-12-11, 09:38 PM
Welcome. The isolator noise is pretty comon. Some have had the blower replaced under warranty, but the same noise * could * return. Some replace the isolator with a solid piece, but this will probably void your warranty. I did the latter, quiet now. Wheel clicking is noticed with windows down and a slow turn. Several solutions. Dealer may clean and re torque wheels. Some have applied light coat of grease, or permatex, or gasket to , so far, stop the clicking. Good luck!
Ross

Trapspeed
05-12-11, 10:32 PM
Thanks, Ross. I'm thinking this is what it is since I'm fairly certain that if there was a widespread issue with catastrophic failures there would have been a ton of posts on it. I'll listen for the clicking, too, although in Orlando this time of year the windows aren't down a whole lot!! Thanks again.

Ross L
05-12-11, 10:44 PM
Neither issue is life threatening... If you can live with the noise. My isolator also rattled at part throttle, sounded like terrible detonation. THAT, I couldn't live with. Didn't want to fool with warranty work and possibility of it happening again. Any more details on your car? Color, options ect. Lots of good info and people on this board.
Ross

Trapspeed
05-13-11, 06:56 PM
Thanks again. Fortunately I am someone who can deal with some nuances with a particular car so if this is what it does and it's the nature of the beast I am good. Having limited experience with the V2's I just want to make sure that this car is as tight as possible and there's nothing critcally wrong. Sounds good and I'll let the dealer look at it when I get home just to be sure.

As for the car, it is Black Raven with every option except suede and Recaros, which doesn't offend me because those seats don't do too well with someone my size. The stockers are great so far! I have had the benefit of belonging to many boards during my time with my cars so I appreciate the wealth of knowledge here. I spent almost three hours last night just going through the previous posts just to catch up! I am hopeful for this car to be a solid performer for years to come. Thanks for your helping hand so far!

Chris