: First Oil Change on my STS 06

Frikiton
05-12-11, 03:30 AM
Hello folks,

I want to know what to do for my first oil change since I got my car, not a new car but my first oil change will be coming up soon since I bought the car from the auction. When I first got the car the private dealer cousin of mine mechanic had changed the oil a few times and done a few other things like flush a few things since the car was waterflood.

There's a place by me that if I go get my oil changed I will also get a free car wash, so this is the place where I'm planning to go. But from their website I saw "Castrol" am I suppose to use Mobil 1 not any other brand?

Thanks

C&C
05-12-11, 05:35 AM
You could maybe bring your own oil (and have them do the change for a fee), you could switch to Castrol (I would use their synthetic) or you could bring it somewhere else (and buy a car wash somewhere else).

caddyfat2
05-12-11, 09:20 AM
For me it's the Cadillac dealer all the way. Here they charge $89 to change my oil and they give you a free car wash to boot.:welcome:

RippyPartsDept
05-12-11, 09:31 AM
As long as the oil meets the GM Spec listed in your owners manual (GM4718M I think) you should be fine ...

mckellyb
05-12-11, 01:04 PM
Thanks for asking this.

I've been a fan of Mobil 1 since the 80's (motorcycles, initially), and plan to use it in the new-to-me STS I should get Saturday, but I finally looked up the sump capacity.

8 quarts, FTW!!!! More is better. I think this is one very significant reason Mercedes gasoline engines last as long as they do. The 3.2L I-6 in my '95 E-320 holds about 7.5 quarts.

In fact, I've toyed with putting a larger oil pan on my wife's RX300. An extra two quarts would make me happy (holds five, currently).

EChas3
05-12-11, 07:34 PM
My guy charges $10 for the oil change and $10 for tire rotation (it's usually about 10,000 miles). I supply the Mobile 1 and Nappa Gold filter; $70 out of pocket.

chazglenn3
05-12-11, 08:13 PM
That's a good deal!

Neutrocuted
05-13-11, 12:11 AM
I am a long, old friend and user of Mobil1. Had it a 1986 Mustang GT 5.0 that I bought brand new. After the first 500 miles I flushed the engine and replaced the oil with Mobil1.

I was not one that liked to do oil changes and my 'Stang used oil due to the low tension rings of the new fuel injected 5.0 so it only was changed 4 times during the first 100k. It had a warning light that would blink as you approached 1 qt. low, and when the light stayed on it was exactly 1 qt. low, so I'd throw a quart in.

I blew up 3 transmissions and 2 rear ends street racing (stop light gran prix) during the 5 years I had it. Sold it to a friend, cheap, with 135k on the clock. The engine was as smooth and quiet as the day I bought it, can't say as much for the rest of the car! The last I checked, which was quite a few years ago, he had 265k on it and the engine was still smooth as silk.

I believe Mobil1 is the best and will use no other... 5W-30 in the Caddy, 0W-40 in the Benz and 15W-50 in the bike.

chazglenn3
05-13-11, 12:25 AM
Agreed, but I use 10W-40 in my bike.

mckellyb
05-13-11, 08:51 AM
Agreed, but I use 10W-40 in my bike.

I used 20W-50 in my ST1100, but then, it'd see run times of 24+ hours, in pretty much any weather condition.

chazglenn3
05-13-11, 08:53 AM
Small world...I ride a '93 ST1100A...just coming up on 105K miles on her...runs like brand new.

STS guy
05-13-11, 09:37 AM
The STS has a feature that shows how much oil life is remaining as a percentage. I think this feature assumes you will be using synthetic oil. I agree with Chris Heath that as long as it meets GM spec you should be fine. If you depend on the oil life remaining feature to tell you when to change, you MUST use synthetic.

STS guy

kitzmann
05-13-11, 11:44 AM
So does this mean that the oil change is only done when the indicator says its time? The reason I ask is because I only drive my STS on weekends and sometime it set for two or three weeks before it get driven. I changed the oil last March and its down to only 50%.

chazglenn3
05-13-11, 11:58 AM
I think I read something in the manual about changing at least once a year if driven sparingly.

RippyPartsDept
05-13-11, 12:40 PM
Yes... the manual will say to change your oil "when the OLM reaches 0% or once a year - whichever comes first"

kschwed
05-13-11, 01:02 PM
My service rep at the dealer told me that they recommend you change your oil:

At 20%
5000/miles
6 months

Whichever comes first.

mckellyb
05-13-11, 01:31 PM
Yep, a year, max.

This is because of the combustion by-products engine oil suspend, by design. Those chemicals are really acidic, and after 12 months, the oil has a difficult time holding on to them.

Now, if you change the oil, and put the car in storage, changing it annually is pointless, if it's not been run more than to check for leaks.

EChas3
05-13-11, 10:11 PM
The OLM is very conservative if using the recommended oil. As long as you take regular (monthly) drives lasting over 2 hours, there's no reason to change your Mobil 1 (or GM spec oil) before the OLM reaches 0%. A pattern of short trips allows moisture to collect and the oil gets contaminated prematurely. Age, by itself, does no real harm.

I was lucky enough to buy a car that the original owner had the dealer change the oil every 3,000 miles for the first 18 months (according to the GM VIN report). My wife's Hertz car wasn't pampered and now uses a little bit between changes. Mine doesn't use more than a few ounces a year.

I've given up buying new cars. If I ever do so again, I will accelerate oil changes at first. But after 30,000 miles, I think the manufacturer recommendation is just fine for normal use.

1_bad_cad
05-14-11, 09:47 AM
I did my first oil change recently..went with a fram oil filter and a 5 quart jug + 1 quart of mobil one. The oil change was a piece of cake and it only cost me 44 dollars. it really was the easiest change i've ever done..the filter sits right on top of the engine compartment. you can just jack up the passenger side with a jack stand so all of the oil flows out of the driver side where the drain plug is. good luck

mckellyb
05-14-11, 10:43 AM

At 20%
5000/miles
6 months

Whichever comes first.

He forgot to include his monthly alimony payment variable....

chazglenn3
05-14-11, 09:00 PM
I did my first oil change recently..went with a fram oil filter and a 5 quart jug + 1 quart of mobil one. The oil change was a piece of cake and it only cost me 44 dollars. it really was the easiest change i've ever done..the filter sits right on top of the engine compartment. you can just jack up the passenger side with a jack stand so all of the oil flows out of the driver side where the drain plug is. good luck

This must be for a V6 car. The N* takes 8 quarts and the oil filter is on the bottom of the engine.

1_bad_cad
05-15-11, 08:26 PM
Yea the car is a v6 model. Frikiton has the v6 too, so I figured that would help him out. Is the oil change easy on the n* models too?

chazglenn3
05-15-11, 08:35 PM
Haven't done one on my 2005 yet, but the 2000 is easy. The 2005 looks like it will be.

Frikiton
05-15-11, 10:59 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies :)

I got the car in thanksgiving engine was flushed and oil was changed a few times since the car was waterflood. My cousin the dealer and his mechanic delt with it til christmas when I got the car in my hands. ODO Meter was at 117,062 and now its at 120,900 my Oil Life display says 55%

Frikiton
06-16-11, 02:29 AM

At 20%
5000/miles
6 months

Whichever comes first.
Interesting, I just got my oil changed today and this place where I took it they are recommending me take it again on 9/13/2011 (YEA RIGHT) thats more money for them.
But mine was 40% today but I noticed last oil change was in Christmas 2010 since I have 121k miles I just felt like doing it since the summer is here already.
So you're saying 20%, 5000miles(some say 6-9k) or 6 months whichever comes first

RippyPartsDept
06-16-11, 08:28 AM
how about just going by the OLM or once every 12 months like the owners manual says?

GM is trying to save the owners money (and conserve natural resources of the planet) ...
yet in a thread not too far away someone will by crying about how GM is ripping them off
... oh well

the OLM is safe to use, and has been for about two decades (if not more)
just make sure you're checking your oil level periodically to make sure you don't get low on oil between oil changes

Frikiton
06-16-11, 09:34 AM
how about just going by the OLM or once every 12 months like the owners manual says?

GM is trying to save the owners money (and conserve natural resources of the planet) ...
yet in a thread not too far away someone will by crying about how GM is ripping them off
... oh well

just make sure you're checking your oil level periodically to make sure you don't get low on oil between oil changes

YUp thats what I been doing for the past 6 months of ownership of my car :)
We are lucky to have this feature for a good reason so why not use it, how many other cars out there don't have this hehe.

mckellyb
06-16-11, 10:02 AM

... oh well

Very well-said.

Engine oil used to be a problem...as was good filtration. That was 30-40 years ago, but the old 3mo/3K mile myth sticks around. Even 5K is too soon, even on dead-dinos, unless you run a NYC cab.