: 20 inch summer wheels on long road trip?

onlyuscars
05-11-11, 08:53 PM
After 2 terrible winters and a need for real winter tires, I now alternate Winter/Summer wheels. I know this isn't every one's cup of tea, but this spring I bought summer 20 inch chrome wheels/tires with 245 35s up front and 275 35s rear. I love the sporty aggressive look. Should I be concerned about a long road trip ~ 900 miles round trip?

I have put mostly local miles on this setup since installation, nothing more than 75 miles round trip, and it feels fine. Looking for the wisdom of the group.

jordan00escalade
05-11-11, 09:21 PM
Yes.. Thicker tires handle the heat better during long drives. Thinner tires tend to get too hot and burst (over long extended trips).. Besides if you happen to get a blow out and your not running run-flat tires, the rim would be so damaged that there's a chance it will need to be replaced along with the tire. As far as safety goes, those would be my concerns.

EChas3
05-12-11, 12:23 AM
All season tires are a compromise. High-profile tires are an extreme. Whatever your goal, your tires may be your single most important choice for your car.

Ain't life grand?

550HP STSV
05-12-11, 11:24 PM
i'm with jordan on this one. if you blow a tire, you're screwed. then again, there are a lot of times we dont have a choice.

onlyuscars
06-07-11, 03:10 PM
You guys scared me into bringing my floor jack on a 900 mile round trip. Only 2 things to report.

1) a thumbs up on the turnpike.
2) Turning less rpm and getting slightly better highway gas mileage due to the larger rolling diameter wheel/tire package at the same cruising speed.