: Remembering your favorite car

orconn
05-11-11, 04:58 PM
When I think back on all the cars I have owned two cars come to mind when I think of my favorites, both of them were bright red!

The first one that stands head and shoulders above the rest was my 1992 Alfa Romeo 164S. A great looking sports sedan, that handled among the best I have ever driven and yet comfortable and quiet for long swift drives on the freeways of California. A car, that despite having a de-tuned Ferrari DOHC V-6 was as reliable as any car I have had, and more reliable than most. This great car was a delight for the 8 years I use her as my daily driver and only reluctantly went to a new home because there wasn't trustworthy service available in Virginia.

The second favorite, and another of my "Bright red" beauties was my 1958 Jaguar XK !50 drop head coupe (convertible) as aside from being the very first car I owned, it was certainly one of the most demanding to drive and one of the most rewarding when driven well. This beautiful classic Jag served me well for two years of adventurous driving until it was totaled by a drunk driver (not me) on the back roads of Central Illinois. This great car combined the abilities to be driven in a very sporting fashion on weekends, and then, with the top up, driven with more restraint, would take you to the best restaurants or dress up affairs with no fuss or discomfort, an elegant car to arrive in! This Jag was the first in a long line of Jags that I subsequently owned that gave very little trouble being driven as a "DDs" in Southern California. I have many fond memories of driving down Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena, watching myself in this red wonder with wire wheels and knock offs sparkling, making a handsome reflection in the store windows as I went by. Then taking a quick nip though the Arroyo Seco (home of the Rose Bowl) on my way for an evening run up the Angeles Crest Highway to Mount Wilson. Then cruising back down the mountain with the lights of L.A. spread out like a carpet for their fifteen miles from the hills to the harbor!

While very different in the time period they came along in my life, both of these cars were a daily delight and their memories will always be cherished!

drewsdeville
05-11-11, 05:05 PM
I won't go into an elaborate writeup like the above, but my favorite car I've owned so far was my dark blue '92 Sedan Deville, bought on the cheap with a leaking head gasket. Gorgeous car, pristine interior, very nice exterior - it was the only car I've owned where I took the initiative to routinely bathe and polish it. I like to think it was because I loved it so much, but perhaps I just had enough free time to spare back then.

I had my complaints about it, like the stupid dashboard design, sloppy handling and weak brakes (made my '95 feel like a track car) but I inexplicably really enjoyed the car overall. If it hadn't gotten wrecked (rear ended by a 3/4 ton Econoline) shortly after I finished the hg repair, I'd probably still be driving it.

Runner up: The 1966 Powerwagon. It's a beast to drive: 4 speed manual, no power steering, no power brakes, no seatbelts, super stiff leaf springs that make you swear the axles are welded right to the frame, a set of generic glasspacks installed by the previous owner...it's deafening, scary, intimidating, and downright badass. I honestly have lost count of the number of times I've parked at the store and had a random person walk up and ask "how much do you want for it". Just costs a lot to operate :/

Don't have any pictures of the '92, but here's one of the Powerwagon:
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4844/dodgeo.jpg

vincentm
05-11-11, 05:10 PM
1959 Ford Galaxy my dad promised to me if i graduated H.S, he sold it. and my current Eldo

Koooop
05-11-11, 05:11 PM
It's a toss up for me, I love my CTS-V, the Maserati 4porte was a favorite but the '73 triple black Eldo Convertible made me smile everytime I drove it. Out of the tons of cars I've owned, I can only narrow it down to 3.

2 of the 3 are Cadillacs?

johnny kannapo
05-11-11, 05:38 PM
Since the first time I saw one drive down the street when I was 8 yrs old. I finally bought this one in 1986.

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz183/billytheshoe/scan0021.jpg

gdwriter
05-11-11, 06:31 PM
They're both in my garage.

Sevillian273
05-11-11, 06:52 PM
This is significant because it is the first vehicle that I made a real effort to go and fetch. Had it towed home via flatbed even before I ever heard it run. My previous cars seem to have come looking for me....My first true project car since its the first vehicle that I bought when I didnt actually NEED another car. A brilliant decision since gas may be hitting 6 bucks...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m280/merc892003/100_1978.jpg

69 Thunderbird Landau 2door 429ci 4bbl 11:1 C6 3spd

PRE-SMOG BABY!!

Koooop
05-11-11, 07:36 PM
I can only hope it has the 429 Thunderjet!

That is SWEET!

ThumperPup
05-11-11, 07:38 PM
I really can't chose between 2 that i have had that where my favorites so ill post them both

My 95 Lincoln Continental was my first car she was my baby loved her and well she finally came to her final resting spot at a farm out in Midlefield ohio
back in 04 i sold her to a friend who took her out of state to NJ
then when she was on her last leg he brought her back and put her on his parents land
she was Emerald Metallic green she was a real beauty at night when the lights where fading and in the day when the sun was shining
32v Intech v8 DOHC

ThumperPup
05-11-11, 07:50 PM
2nd would be my 98 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC she was one of the greatest American Luxury Coups ever made in my oppinion
i had 2 a Spring Edition wich came in an uggly Gold that got totaled out by a drunk driver hitting me in 1999 a year old it was
the Black 98 LSC model loved her she got totaled by my brother in 2002 Insurance paid out on here
She had True Dual Exhaust not a cat back i still wonder why cadillac made the Sevilles and eldorados with a fake dual i think it could have used true dual

drewsdeville
05-11-11, 07:56 PM
I used to like the Mark VIII's till I drove one and my disappointment for the modular engines really kicked in. Those things are advertised at just a tick under 300hp, but they sure don't feel like it. Then I found that the trans was just as sluggish and confused as all of the other vehicles Ford was putting out at the day and I was instantly turned off.

Then they figured they'd try the same formula again with the Marauder. What a success that was :rolleyes: Same exact performance disappointments.

As far as styling and comfort, I'm in. I was just expecting more performance-wise for some reason. Perhaps it was the hype that I always heard.

ThumperPup
05-11-11, 08:09 PM
Porblem with Ford Lincoln was they where using a Tourus Rated Transmission in the 92-98 Mark Series or was it 93-98 i forget
and the 95-2000 Continental they didn't upgrade the tranny untill 2000 where it became more reliable

I never had to have work on the trans for the Mark VIII done cause i barely drove it it was my Fun car for the summer
the Continental was my daily Drive from 96 untill 04 she had over 320k on here when i sold her
had the engine in her replaced at 300k i lost Compression in 3 of the cylinders
Her Engine did me good was a great Motor i feel
the Transmision how ever did not treat me so great
had it rebuilt at 80k again at 120k and again at 187k From what i heard from John put her out to pasture was the trans went again at 334k he had it replaced with a used one with 65k on it and then that one went out at 120k
im not sure what the reason it last so long after the 3 rebuild for me it might have had to do with the shift kit she had a Bowman Shift Kit put in during the rebuild that might have been what let her live so long that one time for me
I know 4 ppl with Continentals 95-2000 who have had the trans worked on at least 2 times each
they just suck

Ranger
05-11-11, 10:02 PM
A picture, as they say, is worth a thousand words. 1969 Road Runner. :heart: What more can I say.

http://www.oldride.com/imgitem/56666009405600_tmp_org.jpg http://www.oldride.com/imgitem/22910065418300_tmp_org.jpg

cadillac kevin
05-11-11, 10:17 PM
2 favorite cars?
obviously my '86 fleetwood brougham. it was awesome cruising around town with the windows rolled down and the AC blowing in your face. no engine noise, no road noise. no road bumps. plus (for the most part) I could drive it however I wanted because most people were scared to crap that I was some old man driving. thats not saying I was a bad driver or anything, just that people stayed far far away from that car. who ever thought an "old person car" would be intimidating? plus I could get on the highway, set cruise at 80, and watch everybody part like the red sea. I can't say I got many offers or straight up compliments on the car but it seemed like every week when I'd be at the store, gas station, work, etc. someone would come up (usually a middle aged or elderly guy), ask if the car was mine, then proceed to tell me about their fond memories of a family members/ friend's 60's-80's caddy. IMO thats pretty cool. still got it, but its knocking bad and burns coolant/ oil like crazy so its parked.
my second favorite car was my dads '91 cutlass cruiser wagon (fwd) it had a tuned up 3.3 with new injectors and coil packs. that thing would haul ass like a 3800. 0-60 took just over 7.5 secons and it would be doing 80 just a couple seconds after that. It was actually a great sleeper against ricers. 4 cylinders were nowhere near a match for it, and it could take on most n/a 6's and some V8 trucks. it handled great too. it was like it was on rails. it also got really good mileage- about 18 combined and 27 highway (at 70-80 mph). not bad for a 20 year old car. had a 200 watt jvc stereo with cassette and 12 disc changer, blaupunkts in the front, and GM 4 ohm 6x9's in the back. it was crazy loud. plus it had 5% limo tint in the back which worked really well with the light blue paint, wood grain, and wire caps. it had no rust, and no cosmetic issues except the notorious cracked clear coat (wasnt peeling though). it bit the dust in Jan of this year. dad was going through an intersection doing about 40mph when an 87 year old lady made an illegal left turn in front of him. the wagon was a total loss (everything from the firewall forward was destroyed, and the impact actually broke the dashboard mounts.)

ThumperPup
05-11-11, 10:36 PM
A picture, as they say, is worth a thousand words. 1969 Road Runner. :heart: What more can I say.

http://www.oldride.com/imgitem/56666009405600_tmp_org.jpg http://www.oldride.com/imgitem/22910065418300_tmp_org.jpg

are these pictures of yours
do you have picutres of yours if they are not

is this your favorite car that you just have not owned yet but would like one day ?

Ranger
05-11-11, 10:39 PM
THAT is not mine. Mine was just like it, but with a black vinyl top. I have pics somewhere, but not scanned or stored.

ThumperPup
05-11-11, 10:56 PM
THAT is not mine. Mine was just like it, but with a black vinyl top. I have pics somewhere, but not scanned or stored.

when you get a chance you should post them

them old Plymouth' Dodge's are the best American muscles in my opinion

few years off and diff model but this is the one car i want if i had that dow id go for it right now in a heart beat
this belongs to the guy who owns this dealer he has the ferrari driven under a jacked up mustang

he invited me to his place and when i was looking at the car's i came across this
i turned it over and it roared

http://www.rhcollectibles.com/showroom/1308/vehicle/617399/1971/Plymouth-Barracuda-Hemi?sold=0

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-11-11, 11:50 PM
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Bianca/IMG_2153.jpg?t=1305172162

*wistful thinking*

ThumperPup
05-11-11, 11:59 PM
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Bianca/IMG_2153.jpg?t=1305172162

*wistful thinking*

seeing that made me think about this song
im sure you remember it if you don't man wow

http://www.metrolyrics.com/intro-lyrics-nelly.html

On second thought you might not be old enough to

Mark0101
05-12-11, 01:18 AM
Porblem with Ford Lincoln was they where using a Tourus Rated Transmission in the 92-98 Mark Series or was it 93-98 i forget
and the 95-2000 Continental they didn't upgrade the tranny untill 2000 where it became more reliable

They never used the Taurus transmission in the Mark VIII, that was the Continental that used the Taurus transmission. That's why the transmission on the Continentals are known to break down.

I have a Continental that was bought with 73K and the transmission started slipping at 160K. Replaced the fluid and it started shifting fine and runs like a champ now. But, I would never recommend it as I have had to replace many things during the time I have had it. It is now at 220k with the original engine and transmission, lets see how far it makes it.

ThumperPup
05-12-11, 01:38 AM
They never used the Taurus transmission in the Mark VIII, that was the Continental that used the Taurus transmission. That's why the transmission on the Continentals are known to break down.

I have a Continental that was bought with 73K and the transmission started slipping at 160K. Replaced the fluid and it started shifting fine and runs like a champ now. But, I would never recommend it as I have had to replace many things during the time I have had it. It is now at 220k with the original engine and transmission, lets see how far it makes it.

thats right they used the 4R70W in the Mark VIII same as the CV my bad
thats why i have only known 3 ppl that had to get those trans replaced

the contiental used the AX4N
from 95-00 where in 2001 they switched to 4F50N wich i am not sure i think they might have just renamed the AX4N to the 4F50N but i know they must have changed something but i think they only changed the AX4S wich was in the 3.8 Liter Torus starting in 2001

just like there are guys here that know everything about Cadillacs
i don't claim to know evyeirng about Ford and Lincolns
but i do know more then my share i know alot more about lincolns then i know about cadillac's and i made the mistake with the Mark VIII trans my bad i realized wich one it was after looking up a few things and saw where i mixed it up

some of my friends have checked my pulse a few times when they found out i switched to GM for Cadillac they said you did what we thought you would be Lincoln Live or Die for ever

ThumperPup
05-12-11, 01:39 AM

what year ?

ryannel2003
05-12-11, 01:42 AM
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n46/ryannel2003/For%20Sale%20-%202000%20STS/IMG_0936.jpg

ThumperPup
05-12-11, 01:51 AM
I checked this out the other day I was thinking hard about it but the thing that made me say no was the shifter i did not like the ones they had a colum shift in was way to hard to find interior parts if i ever needed them and i jsut have not really been fond of them before thing runs and purse like it just left the lot for the first time
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ctd/2375023462.html

this one runs alot better then the Owner leads on to he actualy talks it down in his add a bit
it runs better than a champ it sounds and runs like its got 60k in pampered miles on it
only reason i said no to this was he would not take 2000 and i was not planing on getting stuck with the trans in the car
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2360084856.html

this one looks good inside and out
but runs like crap who ever owned it beat the crap out of it and never took care of it probably ran it on Less the Low grade fuel the nock is so freaking bad this is the meaning of you get what you pay for lol with this price
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2359243824.html

this was really clean and nice engine was running good nice and quiet the trans had a slip atleast from what i could feel
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2327463105.html

this one i new i was not going to buy but i had to go check it out things was a cream puff had to be one of the best ones i have seen in years and years
but the guy is a rival with my Neighbors son's car lot and well i don;t think it would fly if i bought a car from his competitor down the block lol
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ctd/2313132075.html
i also asked him if he would do 4500 he said no
so that threw it off also

Playdrv4me
05-12-11, 01:55 AM
My 1996 Continental, which was incidentally my first car was actually fairly solid except for typical Ferd apperance and ancillary accessory problems. Broken door handle, bad air ride replaced under warranty (remember the SmartChoice offshore warranty debacle of the early 2000s? I was one of their final honored claims before they folded!), bad Park interlock which meant you had to yank the shift handle out of park, and worse of all, typical '90s Ford black paint that turned into a whitish grey mess due to clear coat delamination. Mechanically though it was solid, and we beat the shit out of that car. It was basically abused.

In 2001:
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/6818_1246563841885_1163072693_30753609_5134007_n.j pg

As for my favorite, it would still have to be my 2003 Range Rover. A car that by all accounts should have been a complete nightmare to own, actually turned out to be a competent and fairly reliable companion. By combining the best aspects of one of my all time favorite big BMWs (the e38 7) and an insanely capable SUV, it really had all the bases covered. I have never bought another one because I have a strong feeling I'll never find another one as good overall.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/6818_1246563041865_1163072693_30753592_1173506_n.j pg

After that it would be a close tie between my 2001 BMW 330i and 1998 LS400. Fantastic cars in their own right.

ThumperPup
05-12-11, 02:19 AM
My 1996 Continental, which was incidentally my first car was actually fairly solid except for typical Ferd apperance and ancillary accessory problems. Broken door handle, bad air ride replaced under warranty (remember the SmartChoice offshore warranty debacle of the early 2000s? I was one of their final honored claims before they folded!), bad Park interlock which meant you had to yank the shift handle out of park, and worse of all, typical '90s Ford black paint that turned into a whitish grey mess due to clear coat delamination. Mechanically though it was solid, and we beat the shit out of that car. It was basically abused.

In 2001:
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/6818_1246563841885_1163072693_30753609_5134007_n.j pg

yeah i remember that black paint they used i think it actualy started to last better in the late 90s like 98 town car i think was the better time for ford black paint lol

was that the base you had or Diamond edition ?
never had the issue with the shifting i think i went threw 3 door handles on the drivers side front door those things would crack all the time

yeah if it had of been a 97 you would have had better luck with the suspension Ford Lincoln realized the front struts and air springs where worthless on the Continental and switched over to a Passive / Active in one shot they kept the Electronic struts for the Damper and stiffness but they got ride of the Air Level in the front
ones they did that they actually road better

i would go to Bag Master Air down in taxes for my air boots when ever i needed them

I had every option except for the TC they started that standard in 96
i had to replace the kick panel and could not find one in good shape that did not have the TC option so i ended up using the spot for the TC that i replaced it with for a fake nitro button LOL

96Fleetwood
05-12-11, 07:20 AM
My 1989 944 S2:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/lelodavecars.jpg

My modified 1996 Brougham:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/volo065.jpg

EcSTSatic
05-12-11, 08:26 AM

That's a '68. The differences are subtle. Round vs square side markers for one. One of my best friends in high school had a '68 with the 383. It was one fast ride!
My favorites are between my '65 GTO and '68 Firebird 400. Both were ragtops

stoveguyy
05-12-11, 01:51 PM
had a 66 corvair with a mid-ship 327 chevy. had to take a valium everytime i drove it. had a camaro with built 350 and totally different experience. corvair was flat out scary. had it on car show circuit for a few years. took 2nd in points for its class one year. very nice car.

ThumperPup
05-12-11, 02:56 PM
This was one of the family Car's for a whyll my Grandfather built it up from a bare frame he found in the junk he was looking threw up in Idaho back in the 80s
he customized and built this up from scratch finding only original Corvette parts not one new part went on that only parts from junk yards from 1978 models went on this
it was stolen in 2003

me and gramps used to take it to every OSU home game and even some when it was a decent drive to the game i miss this baby
it was supposed to be mine when he passed but it was stolen a year before

not my favorite car but one of them figured why do i just pick 2 why cant i pick 3

greencadillacmatt
05-12-11, 05:33 PM
Yep, I'm a total weenie.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/greencadillacmatt/Cavalier.jpg

I loved this car, and had I not crashed it, I'd still be driving it. 184,000 miles and still going strong before the accident. It was my 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.4L LS. I got it from my grandparents when they got a new car in 2006. That just so happened to be the year I got my licence. Lots of sentimental value with that car, because my grandfather taught me to drive in it a few years before I was old enough to drive. They had bought it new in '97. Plenty of get-up-and-go for a little car, 150HP from the dual overhead cam engine. The only problem I ever had with it was it needed a waterpump and a starter over the course of my 4-year ownership. I don't know why, but that little car just made me happy. :)

ThumperPup
05-12-11, 06:01 PM
it was your little engine that could :)

Yep, I'm a total weenie.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/greencadillacmatt/Cavalier.jpg

I loved this car, and had I not crashed it, I'd still be driving it. 184,000 miles and still going strong before the accident. It was my 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.4L LS. I got it from my grandparents when they got a new car in 2006. That just so happened to be the year I got my licence. Lots of sentimental value with that car, because my grandfather taught me to drive in it a few years before I was old enough to drive. They had bought it new in '97. Plenty of get-up-and-go for a little car, 150HP from the dual overhead cam engine. The only problem I ever had with it was it needed a waterpump and a starter over the course of my 4-year ownership. I don't know why, but that little car just made me happy. :)

orconn
05-12-11, 07:38 PM
Sometimes it is the small, light, inexpensive cars that gives the most fun! Tied for third place in my "most favorite list" are two cars that were completely opposite in the automotive purpose, their design and their cost. However, each was very satisfying in its' own right.

My 1983 Volkswagen Scirocco "Wolfsburg Edition" will always be a fond memory for my wife and I. This small 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual with just the basics for accessories was one of those cars that always put a smile on your face when you got into it to drive. With real leather faced Recaro seats, but no power steering, but good air conditioning, the Scirocco delivered the essence of automotive fun economically and in spades.

The other car tying for third place was my 1976 Cadillac Seville. Today it is hard to believe that these cars delivered such a contrast to other American cars of its' day. It was smaller than Detroit's highway porkers that had delivered sloppy handling along with poor quality materials and shoddy craftsmanship in great quantities to the American consumer. I had already had three European cars rather than put up with the unenjoyable crap coming out of Detroit, so when Cadillac brought its' Seville to the market in 1975 I was very skeptical about the claims for the car. I had several neighbors who bought these Sevilles when they first came out and really liked them. By early 1977 I was ready to take the plunge and bought a left over 1976. From the start it was one of my favorite cars, delivering the better aspect of American car design in a more compact, but still elegant package along with the service reliability for which U.S. cars were rightly known. I drove this lovely car first as my business car and then as my personal "weekend" from 1977 to 1986. the did have a few of GM's maddening flaws, but overall the car gave superior service nd remained stylish transportation throughout its' stay with me.

DouglasJRizzo
05-12-11, 07:55 PM
There are two or three that truly stand out for me. One that make me ALWAYS want to purchase another example.

1976 Ford Thunderbird. What can I say? Big, bold and beautiful. Nothing like it. I like everything about it.

1976 Eldorado convertible. Same thing. Simply as majestic as they came.

There are others that I love, such as my 67 and 71 Tbirds and my hearses, of course. But these two will always have top spot.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-12-11, 08:18 PM
On a related note, the '72-76 Mark IV is my favorite Lincoln of all time, and probably my favorite "classic" luxury american car of all time...close tie with the 1979 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance, 80-81 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance and 1990-92 Brougham D'Elegance.

Ranger
05-12-11, 11:25 PM
That's a '68. The differences are subtle. Round vs square side markers for one. One of my best friends in high school had a '68 with the 383. It was one fast ride!
My favorites are between my '65 GTO and '68 Firebird 400. Both were ragtops

Right you are my friend. I was searching for a picture that was close to the color and didn't even notice the year.

Here is one I missed last year and is exactly like mine, except that mine was a HT (no B pillar). He who hesitates is lost. I should have moved on it a little faster.

http://www.oldride.com/imgitem/19663094727800_tmp_org.jpg http://www.oldride.com/imgitem/45169067195100_tmp_org.jpg

ThumperPup
05-13-11, 10:12 AM
is it just the angle of the picture or does that car have switches looks like the front end is up
i can see it now Ranger rolling around in woodstock IL bumping up and down LOL