: Need more hp a gtr pulled on me on the highway

jojipoji
05-10-11, 11:14 PM
From 70-130 got a car to two on me. I had a passenger and about 150lbs of stuff in the trunk. He was by himself. Had vanity plate that read godzilla. Does a tune and cai and exhaust do anything?

mother
05-10-11, 11:26 PM
Wow other driver must have sucked... :stirpot:

Junkie414
05-10-11, 11:54 PM
Tune/CAI picked up nearly 50hp on my car. Big help

translux
05-11-11, 12:30 AM
If it was stock I'd say maybe a CIA and a dyne tune might be close
If it was modified I'm not sure there is much we can do save for something like Curtis' monster.
My boys over at AMS are making rediculous power with bolt on's.
Car was running high 9's last year.
Wait until they go into the motor, I bet mid to low 9's this year.
That is if the transmission holds up.

1fastctsv
05-11-11, 04:47 AM
Seen Godzilla at Etown and he wasn't running anything better than 11.2 he's got work done to the car too. From what I hear gtr's trans give out really easy have two friends with them and they are fast no doubt but up top you should be able to mod and catch if not pass him. What do you have done?

NiceRide
05-11-11, 05:14 AM
Seen Godzilla at Etown and he wasn't running anything better than 11.2 he's got work done to the car too. From what I hear gtr's trans give out really easy have two friends with them and they are fast no doubt but up top you should be able to mod and catch if not pass him. What do you have done?

Yeah, GT-R trans give out easy.....really?? I don't think so. Stock GR6 is good to about 700bhp.

Translux, GT-Rs are knocking on 8's as I type, and no worries the transmission will hold up b/c no one is stupid enough to run stock tranny @1100whp.

Vapordoc
05-11-11, 06:52 AM
I just came out of a GTR running a best 10.003 @137.1. At least 20 runs in the 10.0 range. Stock tranny, motor and turbos.

I have a stack of over 200 slips, hard launches, 60's as low as 1.45. All on stock tranny. Saying the tranny is weak means you are misinformed.

Stock 2009-2011's trap about 118-120. Stock 2012's run 11.0@124. Throw a tune and midpipe ( about 2k) on a 2010 and you can trap close to 130.

And all the above is just basic bolt on's . Start cracking motor and Turbo's, and 9's in high 140's is pretty easy.

All that, an crazy good transmission and AWD, makes them really hard to beat

Bushidopupil
05-11-11, 07:35 AM
Was this GTR (the second half of the vid) the GTR you raced.....I think not ha ha...Just a good vid IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRSQRA1E57s&feature=player_detailpage

newcadman
05-11-11, 07:51 AM
Does a tune and cai and exhaust do anything?

Might want to check out or review " whytediamond" 's recent thread entitled " Dyno results after 2.55 and ported snout". His V has tune, cai, and exhaust.

cbloveday
05-11-11, 08:04 AM
Bush,

Cool vid, I couldn't help but think what the mile contest would be like.

LitiGATOR
05-11-11, 08:45 AM
I was at the track and a highly-modified GTR was trapping 156.

translux
05-11-11, 09:16 AM
I need another gtr.....

Domsz06
05-11-11, 09:26 AM
From 70-130 got a car to two on me. I had a passenger and about 150lbs of stuff in the trunk. He was by himself. Had vanity plate that read godzilla. Does a tune and cai and exhaust do anything?

I thought the godzilla plate was running 700+ hp. I raced a stock gtr in my z06 and spanked him, and had to play catch up with the supra beside me. If your both stock then it's a drivers race. Slap a lower pulley, injectors, CAI on and you will beat him all day long (if he is stock) I'm pushing 560rwhp right now with the mods I just listed. Its a totally different car :)

If it was stock I'd say maybe a CIA and a dyne tune might be close
If it was modified I'm not sure there is much we can do save for something like Curtis' monster.
My boys over at AMS are making rediculous power with bolt on's.
Car was running high 9's last year.
Wait until they go into the motor, I bet mid to low 9's this year.
That is if the transmission holds up.

lol "if the tranny holds up" lol. there tranny is fine for lots of hp, it's just like ours, it's all in the tune. Crappy tune=blown up tranny.

flnsx
05-17-11, 11:55 PM
Sleepdoc rules! GT-R's rule!

DrumStix
05-17-11, 11:59 PM
A New Era CAI and tune would be a nice start for you.

TurboEd
05-18-11, 01:06 AM
I have only CAI and tune on the CTS-V. Don't think I could catch a stock GTR from a roll. But I'll try :)

Also have a C6Z06 CAI and tuned that would pull hard from a lightly modded and tuned GTR.

Domsz06
05-18-11, 07:58 AM
I have only CAI and tune on the CTS-V. Don't think I could catch a stock GTR from a roll. But I'll try :)

Also have a C6Z06 CAI and tuned that would pull hard from a lightly modded and tuned GTR.

I would think with what you have in your v you could take a stock gtr. you would be right at 500 rwhp and the gtr and v are about the same weight, but it has less rwhp. Guess it would be a drivers race honestly.

Vapordoc
05-18-11, 08:38 AM
I would think with what you have in your v you could take a stock gtr. you would be right at 500 rwhp and the gtr and v are about the same weight, but it has less rwhp. Guess it would be a drivers race honestly.

It depends on what year the GTR is. 2012's have almost 50 crank HP more than the previous models. We were trapping 124 mph in a bone stock 2012 in 1000 DA.

GTR's weigh 3800 lb's. But they are much faster than their power to weight ratio would indicate.

The GTR's tranny has very little drivetrain loss of power

In addition, the transmission is close ratio, shifts in miliseconds, and stays on FULL BOOST during shifts. This allows for a completely linear acceleration curve. Other cars dip and lose time during shifts. The GTR does not. The affect is additive with every shift. If you hang with one while in gear, you will loose at least 1/2 car with every shift.

The advantage of the GR6 transmission is less as the speeds increase, since there is less shifting occuring.

TurboEd
05-18-11, 09:34 AM
Yep! I am very skeptical about cars and personal experience has shown me that magazines and internet "testing" is a useless tool. The GTR however, delivers. I am sure many around here think alike. Around town we are very active racing cars frequently at track rentals for drag and road racing. Some street race but that would be illegal ;) . As expected, these GTR are awesome machines. They drive harshly, trans sounds weird :) , and feel annoingly heavy to me. I just love the fun that is a Corvette so I will not own a GTR anytime soon. But they are not to be underestimated as I did with the CTS-V. Mine is automatic and I just wanted a 4 door since I enjoy taking the kids to school and maybe have a "somewhat fast" daily driver. Boy was I wrong. This Cadillac is awesome. My tires will not live past June and I bought the car one and a half week ago on a saturday. Sunday I was working, monday we went in the stock V to pick up my friends GTR from installation of all the little tubes, HKS IC, BOV, and COBB reflash, it made 530awhp on a Mustang dyno. Heheh, as expected, on the way back to work I got spanked so I was on the dyno tuesday for CAI and tune. It made 467rwhp with the Lingenfelter CAI a friend just gave me. The V is a different animal now. Nothing big but much faster. BUT... :thumbsup: pulleys and goodies are on the way so we will race again, hopefuly it's not as bad this time around and the "Black Mamba" Z06 will be there to avenge me if need be lol.

Great forum guys. Loving the reads here :)

Ed

Domsz06
05-18-11, 09:40 AM
thanks for the info guys, I really haven't paid much attention to them since I can't get another car now... :( I just raced one in my z with my wife in the car, gtr was in the left lane, I was in the second to left and then a supra with what sounded like a decent turbo to my right. I spanked the gtr, and had to play catch up on the supra, but I did catch it. No idea what anyone had as as soon as it was over they jumped off the mexican road :D

TurboEd
05-18-11, 10:47 AM
Sounds like fun :) . A well driven Z06 is a monster. I am sticking to mine like glue. The CTS- V had been super fun. It will kill almost all who dare. I believe that I'm in for a treat with the heavy four door grocery getter against some GTRs.

Maybe I got something on the iPhone behind that GTR. Will check when I get home.

Domsz06
05-18-11, 11:18 AM
Sounds like fun :) . A well driven Z06 is a monster. I am sticking to mine like glue. The CTS- V had been super fun. It will kill almost all who dare. I believe that I'm in for a treat with the heavy four door grocery getter against some GTRs.

Maybe I got something on the iPhone behind that GTR. Will check when I get home.

yes they are. I love my z06, it's a lot of fun. 551 rwhp is very nice (through an auto as well I might add) I do love my v though since it's a tamed beast, until I mash the gas :)

Bushidopupil
05-18-11, 11:20 AM
thanks for the info guys, I really haven't paid much attention to them since I can't get another car now... :( I just raced one in my z with my wife in the car, gtr was in the left lane, I was in the second to left and then a supra with what sounded like a decent turbo to my right. I spanked the gtr, and had to play catch up on the supra, but I did catch it. No idea what anyone had as as soon as it was over they jumped off the mexican road :D

AHHH Mexico, I love it!!! :)