: SRX Sunshade??

Dean5101
05-10-11, 11:34 PM
So summer is peeking around the corner here in Chicago.. I need a sunshade for the SRX, can anyone recommend one?

I was looking at this one from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Expressions-5052077-Platinum-Sunshade/dp/B000CAO89W/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1305081126&sr=1-4

Thanks!

Dean

mrl859
05-11-11, 02:05 AM
Get a Covercraft UVS100, the best of the best.

Jake2010
05-12-11, 09:33 AM
Also, look at this http://www.heatshieldstore.com/

I have one and it works great! They are custom cut to fit the SRX windshield.

stevec5375
05-12-11, 10:55 AM

I have this one too. Because the SRX windshield is so deep, mine wants to sag in the middle. Have you found a way to overcome this?

mrl859
05-12-11, 01:45 PM
I have this one too. Because the SRX windshield is so deep, mine wants to sag in the middle. Have you found a way to overcome this?The UVS100 is made of a very thick carboard and does not sag.

Jake2010
05-12-11, 02:46 PM
I have this one too. Because the SRX windshield is so deep, mine wants to sag in the middle. Have you found a way to overcome this?

You're right Steve it is a very deep windshield! Mine sags a little too, but still stays in place. I don't use the sun visors to support it either (and they really look like they wouldn't help much anyway). I think the rear view mirror does most of the supporting. It does do a good job of blocking most of the sun and definitely keeps the interior cooler.

SoCalSRX
05-14-11, 02:20 PM

+1. Excellent fit and finish.

My only complaint is that it is a little awkward to roll up with someone in the passenger seat. Otherwise, it's a great product!

Mine also sags a bit in the middle, but nothing to worry about. As mentioned by Jake, I don't even need to sun visors to hold it in place -- it stays on its own.

SoCalSRX
07-06-11, 11:50 PM
Mine also sags a bit in the middle, but nothing to worry about. As mentioned by Jake, I don't even need to sun visors to hold it in place -- it stays on its own.

I'm amending my review of this product. It's a well-made item, to be sure, but mine is sagging so badly at this point (after only two months) that the company has agreed to replace it under warranty. (See attached picture.) I'm skeptical that a new one will be any better...but time will tell.

stevec5375
07-07-11, 10:16 AM
I'm amending my review of this product. It's a well-made item, to be sure, but mine is sagging so badly at this point (after only two months) that the company has agreed to replace it under warranty. (See attached picture.) I'm skeptical that a new one will be any better...but time will tell.

I'm afraid that mine is suffering the same problem. I'll be curious to know if your warranty replacement fares any better.

PJ1520
07-07-11, 03:56 PM
You guys may have thrown too many empty beer cans up there which may explain the sagging. :bouncy::thumbsup:

PJ

Ponyman
07-07-11, 04:57 PM
We actually have the same exact shade, and I am sure that everyone, especially Steve will be glad to know that so far no problems. Ours is about three months old.

stevec5375
07-07-11, 08:32 PM
We actually have the same exact shade, and I am sure that everyone, especially Steve will be glad to know that so far no problems. Ours is about three months old.

Just give it time. Mine is over a year old.

Are you trying to stir up another "pissing contest"?

The Tony Show
07-07-11, 08:49 PM
Keep it on topic, guys. :shifty

SoCalSRX
07-07-11, 09:01 PM

Mine is a little more than two months old, and I use it daily in the blazing Southern California heat. As you can see from the picture I posted, it's sagging badly. Hopefully it's a fluke, but I fear that the new one I'm getting under the warranty will suffer the same fate by the end of the summer. Time will tell...

Ponyman
07-07-11, 09:09 PM
I guess that if mine develops a sag, that I will order a Covercraft. That is what I wanted in the first place, but the wait for it to be built was a little longer, and the price was a little higher. Guess that I should know by now that you get what you pay for. Tony, since I have Steve on ignore, I don't know what he said, but my comment about the shade was on topic.

JimmyH
07-07-11, 10:02 PM
If you have steve on ignore, then ignore him completely. Stop making references to him. It's childish. It might be entertaining to you, but I assure you, only to you.

SoCalSRX
07-07-11, 10:35 PM
I guess that if mine develops a sag, that I will order a Covercraft. That is what I wanted in the first place, but the wait for it to be built was a little longer, and the price was a little higher. Guess that I should know by now that you get what you pay for.

I'll do the same thing if the new one sags. IIRC, however, the price of the two was pretty comparable. I don't remember the Heat Shield being substantially less expensive.

Ponyman
07-07-11, 11:07 PM
Seems like the Covercraft was about $10 more. Sad thing is the Covercraft is made less than a 30 minute drive from where I live, but I can't buy it directly through them. Got to go through a dealer.

SoCalSRX
07-07-11, 11:18 PM
Seems like the Covercraft was about $10 more.

My bad. You're right. The Heat Shield product is about $15 less (not including shipping costs). I have an aircraft cover from the same folks that make the Heat Shield product, and I can tell you that the company does make quality products. I think for our cars, however, with the steeply inclined windshields, the sagging problem is going to be difficult to overcome. We shall see...

Ponyman
07-08-11, 08:32 AM
I think the Covercraft USV100 folds instead of rolls up. It might be a little more rigid and not sag, of course it might not be able to conform to the window quite as well either. I have the Heatshield for my Avalanche also, but it doesn't have as large a window as the SRX.

KevinOpp
07-10-11, 02:56 AM
So summer is peeking around the corner here in Chicago.. I need a sunshade for the SRX, can anyone recommend one?

I was looking at this one from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Expressions-5052077-Platinum-Sunshade/dp/B000CAO89W/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1305081126&sr=1-4

Thanks!

Dean

dean, check out this thread from last year---http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/203201-windshield-sunshades.html

i bought the Heatshield and it really fits like a glove.

mrl859
07-10-11, 03:04 AM
Get the UVS100 or the custom folding one from Intro tech.

Ponyman
07-22-11, 08:22 AM
So Cal, ours has started to sag also in this 100 degree plus heat. My wife came up with her own solution though. She keeps a sweat shirt in the car for when we are on longer trips together and she gets cold. She said she rolled it up, placed it between the dash and the heat shield and that stopped the sag. I'll have to give her credit for that. I probably would just have bitched about the sag.

SoCalSRX
07-22-11, 08:52 AM
Mine is sagging but still usable. It just doesn't look as good. I have to say, though, that in a hot SoCal day, the shade is VERY hot to the touch when I roll it up!

Ponyman
07-22-11, 03:25 PM
Ours is still usable, and does a great job. Suprisingly the rolled up sweatshirt keeps it tight against the window. I still think before next summer I will order a covercraft. They fold up, and it is hard to get the heatshield in a good position to roll it up tightly.

stevec5375
07-29-11, 09:07 PM

In fairness to this vendor (http://www.heatshieldstore.com/), I wanted to mention that I contacted them about the sagging of the sun screen and they sent me a brand new one with suction cups which solves the problem of the sagging. This was all under the 2-year warranty period. It's nice to know that a company does such a good job standing by their product. This is my 2nd good experience with these people.

TheCaptain
07-29-11, 11:17 PM
I bought a $17 one from Canadian Tire. I'll let you guys know how it holds up in Vegas' heat over the next few weeks. :D

SoCalSRX
07-30-11, 12:36 AM
In fairness to this vendor (http://www.heatshieldstore.com/), I wanted to mention that I contacted them about the sagging of the sun screen and they sent me a brand new one with suction cups which solves the problem of the sagging. This was all under the 2-year warranty period. It's nice to know that a company does such a good job standing by their product. This is my 2nd good experience with these people.

I had a similar experience with them. The people are as nice as can be and eager to stand behind their product. Here's the thing, though -- at some point it just becomes too much of a hassle. We're not talking rocket science here; we're talking about a device designed to protect the dashboard from the sun and keep the interior or the car cooler. With the heat shield, you have to awkwardly unroll it and put it in place, and then it's just as awkward to roll up, especially if there's someone in the passenger seat. Now you have to deal with a couple of suction cups. It just shouldn't be such a pain!

To help keep mine less "saggy," I've started folding it in half and then rolling it up very tightly. When I unroll it, there's a crease down the center that helps keep it from sagging. It still sags somewhat, especially in hot weather over long periods of time. I'll keep using it until it starts to fall apart, and then I'll get a Covercraft.

SoCalSRX
07-30-11, 12:41 AM
Get the UVS100 or the custom folding one from Intro tech.

As near as I can tell, the Intro Tech is a roll-up shade that looks very similar to the Heat Shield product.

Ponyman
07-30-11, 07:20 AM
Same here SoCal, Before next summer I will get a Covercraft. Besides the sag it is just a PITA to try to roll up.

mrl859
07-30-11, 10:31 AM
Get a UVS100 or Intro tech.

SoCalSRX
07-30-11, 11:19 AM
Get a UVS100 or Intro tech.

@ mrl859

The advantage of the UVS100 is obvious, but why do you keep posting about the Intro Tech. From what I can see on the Intro Tech website, it's another roll-up shade like the Heat Shield. If that's the case, then it's likely to have the same sagging problem. Am I missing something here?

stevec5375
07-30-11, 02:20 PM
I think the simple solution for the heatshield problem is they should put some "ribs" in it that run vertically with the windshield. That would stop the sagging and be less of a hassle than suction cups.

SoCalSRX
07-30-11, 03:06 PM
I think the simple solution for the heatshield problem is they should put some "ribs" in it that run vertically with the windshield. That would stop the sagging and be less of a hassle than suction cups.

I suggested that very thing to them when I complained about the sagging. My suggestion was that they use the same material that is on the edging and put two vertical seams in the shield. The person didn't seem very interested.

mrl859
07-31-11, 05:11 AM
@ mrl859

The advantage of the UVS100 is obvious, but why do you keep posting about the Intro Tech. From what I can see on the Intro Tech website, it's another roll-up shade like the Heat Shield. If that's the case, then it's likely to have the same sagging problem. Am I missing something here?I am not necessarily a big Intro Tech fan. I was always a UVS100 fan. When I first got my CTS-V Coupe and SRX, Covercraft did not yet offer a UVS100 for those applications. Intro tech did. The UVS100 is made of thicker stock, but the Intro Tech has a very shiny surface which may reflect more heat. So far I've been very pleased with the Intro Tech for both applications. Here's a link to where I bought mine for the SRX. It is not roll up, but hinged hardboard and comes with a storage bag. http://www.autoanything.com/driving-accessories/60A5833A0A0.aspx

SoCalSRX
07-31-11, 03:42 PM
I am not necessarily a big Intro Tech fan. I was always a UVS100 fan. When I first got my CTS-V Coupe and SRX, Covercraft did not yet offer a UVS100 for those applications. Intro tech did. The UVS100 is made of thicker stock, but the Intro Tech has a very shiny surface which may reflect more heat. So far I've been very pleased with the Intro Tech for both applications. Here's a link to where I bought mine for the SRX. It is not roll up, but hinged hardboard and comes with a storage bag. http://www.autoanything.com/driving-accessories/60A5833A0A0.aspx

Interesting that Auto Anything shows it as a fold-up sunshade. This is a direct quote from Intro-Tech's website: "Easy to toll up and with an attached Velcro strap makes item easy to stow." Sound like the Heat Shield product. Here's the link to Intro-Tech's website: http://intro-techautomotive.com/sunshade.html

mrl859
07-31-11, 03:52 PM
Interesting that Auto Anything shows it as a fold-up sunshade. This is a direct quote from Intro-Tech's website: "Easy to toll up and with an attached Velcro strap makes item easy to stow." Sound like the Heat Shield product. Here's the link to Intro-Tech's website: http://intro-techautomotive.com/sunshade.htmlThey make different shades. Mine is definitely folding.

SoCalSRX
08-01-11, 03:22 PM
They make different shades. Mine is definitely folding.

My apologies to mrl859. After exchanges emails with a representative at Intro-Tech, I have been informed they make both a roll-up version and a folding version. Folding version is next for me!

SoCalSRX
07-17-13, 08:36 PM
Follow-up post two years later...

I struggled with the Heat Shield product for two years. There's no doubt it does a good job, but it got so saggy that sometimes it wouldn't even stay in place despite having the shades pulled down to hold it. I got tired of struggling with it, so I ordered a Covercraft UVS100. Wow...night and day difference! The Covercraft is very well made from heavy foam board with a highly reflective coating. It fits like a glove, and stays in place with no problem. When I go to remove it, it's really hot, so clearly it's doing its job! I only wish I had ordered it from the beginning...

My advice to anyone reading this thread as part of researching which sun shade to buy -- As someone who has had both the Heat Shield and Covercraft products, the Covercraft fitment is far better, and it's easier to handle inside the car (especially when there's a passenger). Don't bother with the Heat Shield; get the Covercraft!

KevinOpp
07-17-13, 10:26 PM
Follow-up post two years later...

I struggled with the Heat Shield product for two years. There's no doubt it does a good job, but it got so saggy that sometimes it wouldn't even stay in place despite having the shades pulled down to hold it. I got tired of struggling with it, so I ordered a Covercraft UVS100. Wow...night and day difference! The Covercraft is very well made from heavy foam board with a highly reflective coating. It fits like a glove, and stays in place with no problem. When I go to remove it, it's really hot, so clearly it's doing its job! I only wish I had ordered it from the beginning...

My advice to anyone reading this thread as part of researching which sun shade to buy -- As someone who has had both the Heat Shield and Covercraft products, the Covercraft fitment is far better, and it's easier to handle inside the car (especially when there's a passenger). Don't bother with the Heat Shield; get the Covercraft!

i’m one of those people w/ my second saggy Heat Shield (replaced under warrantee). the only good thing is that it’s light and easy to toss in the back seat. how heavy is this “heavy foam board”? ez to move around? does it accordion fold?

SoCalSRX
07-18-13, 12:20 AM
i’m one of those people w/ my second saggy Heat Shield (replaced under warrantee). the only good thing is that it’s light and easy to toss in the back seat. how heavy is this “heavy foam board”? ez to move around? does it accordion fold?

Kevin: It does fold like an accordion. Compared to the Heat Shield, I've found it much easier to maneuver in the car with a passenger in the front seat. It's a bit heavier, but not significantly so.

ladypro
07-18-13, 01:19 PM
http://www.autoanything.com/driving-accessories/60A1228A0A0.aspx Covercraft UVS100
they will price match. I also ordered the holder. completely satisfied no sagging.

Likely
07-18-13, 02:50 PM
Covercraft for sure....I have one. bought it from Anything Auto. The shade is custom made for your model & year of vehicle...Great quality. Maybe alittle more costly than some, but, worth it. I live in Arizona, i use it about 9 to 10 months a year.....

300:29:1
07-18-13, 10:09 PM
http://www.autoanything.com/driving-accessories/60A1228A0A0.aspx Covercraft UVS100
they will price match. I also ordered the holder. completely satisfied no sagging.

Ordered mine. Thanks Ladypro for the link and recommendation.

beachcad
07-22-13, 11:40 AM
Same here, I just ordered the Covercraft for my wife's SRX. Thanks Ladypro, I too appreciate the link and recommendation, and thanks Likely for the additional recommendation.

NVSRX12
07-30-13, 05:42 PM
Got the Folding Covercraft UVS100 Heat Shield for my wife in blue, now she says she loves me almost as much as her shade....

beachcad
07-30-13, 05:46 PM
Got the Folding Covercraft UVS100 Heat Shield for my wife in blue, now she says she loves me almost as much as her shade....

Woo Hoo! Still waiting on the one I got for my wife, but this is encouraging.

SoCalSRX
07-30-13, 07:41 PM
I think the Heat Shield does a better job of reflecting heat, but the Covercraft is a much better fit, and does a very good job of keeping heat out. All things considered, of the two, the Covercraft is far and away the better product, IMHO.

Huey Driver
07-31-13, 06:45 PM
Ordered one a week ago myself, got the email this morning that it shipped, friday delivery expected.... Thanks for the tip!

08-01-13, 12:12 AM
Ordered one a week ago myself, got the email this morning that it shipped, friday delivery expected.... Thanks for the tip!

I received an email yesterday telling me that my shade was shipped. The tracking info seems to be unavailable. This is a bit annoying.

08-03-13, 03:00 PM
I got the shade but no bag. It says bag included on both the packing slip and box. There was a large piece of plastic stuffed in the box that appears to be almost the same size and shape as the shade. This is a single sheet of plastic and does not open as say, a trash bag. I called to discover that customer service is only available Mon-Fri. Could someone describe the bag, or post a pic of it so I know what it looks like?
I contacted them by live chat and the shade will be shipped separately.

08-03-13, 06:38 PM
Which side faces in and which faces out? It seems like the colored side faces into the car, while the charcoal side faces out touching the glass. The instructions tell you to place the silver side facing out, but I don't see any silver. I'm pretty sure the colored side faces in, as it seems to fit properly that way. Any help would be appreciated.

Likely
08-03-13, 10:58 PM
What color did you order? The colored side should be against the windshield. My shade is silver on the side that goes against the windshield......

----------

Also, the side that goes against the windshield is real slick material. The inside of the shade is fairly rough material......

08-03-13, 11:17 PM
What color did you order? The colored side should be against the windshield. My shade is silver on the side that goes against the windshield......

----------

Also, the side that goes against the windshield is real slick material. The inside of the shade is fairly rough material......
It's like a gold color. Closest I could get to my car color. The rough material goes inside then. I'll have to try that. It didn't seem to fit well that way for sure.
I got it in with the colored side facing outwards/against the windshield. Thanks.

ladypro
08-04-13, 01:30 PM
my holder is black vinyl with Velcro inside top closure

SoCalSRX
08-05-13, 12:22 AM
My thought was that since the gold was a metallic color, it should face out to reflect the sun's rays. Also, it looks similar to the car's paint.

08-05-13, 10:15 AM
My thought was that since the gold was a metallic color, it should face out to reflect the sun's rays. Also, it looks similar to the car's paint.

I thought that too. The problem was twofold. The instructions said the face the silver side against the glass, and the fit was a bit tight. I had to fiddle with it a bit, but everything seems right now.

NVSRX12
08-06-13, 12:21 PM
color goes out

btk301
09-21-13, 02:26 PM
I have purchased all my sun shades from Covercraft for every vehicle I have owned in the last 20 years, It will cost you about $65.00, but is custom fit and good quality. You can find them on line or at JC Whitney. I live in South Florida, so sun and heat are the norm. Hope this helps

westham
10-03-13, 04:51 PM
Just had my Covercraft shade delivered and glad I spent a little extra and got something solid and well made that also fits, glad I took the time to read this thread, thanks to all those who posted.

10-05-13, 08:53 AM
Just had my Covercraft shade delivered and glad I spent a little extra and got something solid and well made that also fits, glad I took the time to read this thread, thanks to all those who posted.
I have had my covercraft for a few months. It's well made and does what it's supposed to do. While the price seemed steep at first, I can see now that it was worth it. As long as I don't get a different vehicle, I expect to get plenty of use out of it.