: Is the idle on your stock V2 perfectly smooth ?

Caddy Wagon
05-10-11, 11:05 PM
I don't know if I'm being overly anal about it, but the idle on my bone stock 2011 Wagon does not seem to be perfectly smooth. For the most part it is, but there seems to be a small random blip in the idle. It's barely perceptible and runs perfectly fine otherwise. I can feel it, and see the tach needle move a tiny bit when it does it sometimes. I wanted to get some input before I take it to the dealer for diagnosis.

cbloveday
05-10-11, 11:12 PM
Do not recall a blip when stock. Probably wouldn't hurt to have it checked.

alq80
05-10-11, 11:20 PM
I have the same feeling when the car is idling. It is smooth except every little bit the car shakes a tiny bit. I heard it was normal and even when the car went for service they said it was...

It's not intrusive with you is it? Just sometimes noticable right

Caddy Wagon
05-10-11, 11:27 PM
I have the same feeling when the car is idling. It is smooth except every little bit the car shakes a tiny bit. I heard it was normal and even when the car went for service they said it was...

It's not intrusive with you is it? Just sometimes noticable right

It's not intrusive at all and the car runs great. It has done this from day one, and I figured it might be normal. I have a theory that the automatic tranny cars might suppress this somewhat and not be quite as noticeable in them. My car is a 6MT, same as yours.

JOEYCTS-V
05-10-11, 11:35 PM
My car also does this. As far as I can tell it's normal; my V1 did it as well.

BeagleBrains
05-10-11, 11:45 PM
The cam design is somewhat aggressive for the CTS V. I have had cars such as a Boss 429 with a nasty CAM. I used to race down the main avenue about 03:00 A.M. with the adjacent town's police driving a severely "souped-up" Dodge 440. At stop signs, the cam was very lopy, causing the cars to lurch side-to-side with a hrump=hrump sound; but when accelerating to higher RPM, very smooth.
Our cars have a hint of intermittent loping. It is merely a hint of oncoming power. Our 2004 "V" had a similar "lope"; it felt so good and soooooo right. Nothing to fix here!:bouncy:

Junkie414
05-11-11, 12:04 AM
Mine does it as well. feels like a tiny miss or small cam

Caddy Wagon
05-11-11, 12:18 AM
Thanks guys. I feel a lot better about it now. I figured it was normal, but wanted to hear it from a few people before putting it to rest.

Junkie414
05-11-11, 01:31 AM
I'm confused. Isn't a performance car supposed to idle like it was just about ready to launch at the drag strip? :-)
My 1000 HP (give or take) Z06 lopes and shakes and just sounds mean as hell when idling. Sometimes it smooths out and it bothers me when it does. I "LOVE" a lopey idle.
Then again I'm still young and haven't really grow up yet, I guess. ( 58 going on 18)
I'm not going to go crazy with the camshaft in my new V, but it certainly will be "heard."

Nailed it! same way i feel

newcadman
05-11-11, 08:38 AM
Everyone I've driven including mine has exhibited the same characteristics you are describing.

Had a GM engineer tell me it definitely would not idle with the smoothness of the 4.4 liter Northstar engine that was used in the STS-Vs.

muohio
05-11-11, 10:09 AM
Every LS engine based car I've owned has an occasional rough idle. Even my 2010 Vette would sometimes feel like it may stall but would go away quickly.

Domsz06
05-11-11, 10:19 AM
yup it's normal. aggressive cams have that "lobe"

hulksdaddy
05-11-11, 11:05 AM
Mine does as well.

neuronbob
05-11-11, 12:53 PM
Mine does it, too. I assume it's normal as every LSx engine I've been around does the same.

BuckeyeInNC
05-11-11, 02:03 PM
Yup, working as intended.

jeff342
05-11-11, 02:12 PM
My 2011 Sedan auto does the same thing. I have come across this TSB regarding the older Vs but I am sure it still applies.

>>Rough Idle

The 400?horsepower LS6 V8 engine derives its awesome power through a combination of displacement, stroke and tuning. A key element of this combination is giving the engine better "breathing" ability through unique camshaft to valve lift and duration. The efficient process of getting the air/fuel mixture in and exhaust gases out of the combustion chamber is achieved through this higher valve lift and longer valve open times. The result of camshaft design results in what is commonly referred to as an unstable idle or the random roughness of the engine. This is normal and does not indicate a concern.
<<

JFJr
05-11-11, 05:07 PM
Every high performance V8 has a rough idle. Now if we could get the LSA to sound like the old 327 solid lifter Corvettes at idle ...

Jud

PremierJosh
05-11-11, 06:03 PM
If its just a slight shake every 5-7 second you are fine. You can play with the idle and smooth it out even more possiably but its no big deal. Now if its missing thats a completely different deal.

Caddy Wagon
05-11-11, 06:37 PM
Yep, just a slight shake every once and a while. Thanks Josh. :thumbsup:

Teutonaddict
05-11-11, 06:52 PM
It's not intrusive at all and the car runs great. It has done this from day one, and I figured it might be normal. I have a theory that the automatic tranny cars might suppress this somewhat and not be quite as noticeable in them. My car is a 6MT, same as yours.

I've noticed the same behavior in my 6MT...