: What happened to all the little sports cars?!

Lord Cadillac
05-10-11, 02:00 PM
Toyota MR2, Mazda Miata, Honda S2000, Pontiac Fiero, Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky.. Am I forgetting any? Where are they? All that's left is the Mazda Miata? With gas prices going crazy, one might think you'd see more of these types of vehicles being sold.. Are they being replaced by stodgy-looking cars like the 1-Series, Cobalt SS or cars like that? What's going on?

And why hasn't Chevy ever had one?

drewsdeville
05-10-11, 02:02 PM
370z is still awesome :thumbsup:

Lord Cadillac
05-10-11, 02:09 PM
I may be alone in this feeling but I don't consider that the same type of car... And, yes - it IS awesome...

370z is still awesome :thumbsup:

Stingroo
05-10-11, 02:11 PM
370Z is too big for this segment.

It's been replaced by lame "sport compacts". Oh well. Dead segment is dead.

Lord Cadillac
05-10-11, 02:12 PM
That's what I was thinking.. These Sport Compacts are not nearly as exciting or fun to drive as the whatever it was called segment...

Stingroo
05-10-11, 02:17 PM
Nope. Because they're all powered by the wrong wheels.

C&C
05-10-11, 02:31 PM
BMW Z-4 still around (I think); I think the market reached saturation and too many small sports cars just couldn't be sustained. With the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice Chevy, for sure, needed to stay away.

BlackCadillac91
05-10-11, 02:32 PM
Mazda Miata, Honda S2000, Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky, Mini Cooper (the fast ones lol), mostly foreign cars fill this criteria. I drove a mazda miata and my god it was so much fun. They are not the fastest kids on the block but they are quick and just a blast to drive. The little 6m trans is super smooth too. Also remember MG's, renaults, fiat's, alot of other companies make smaller cars but don't sell as many over here. Most people would prefer the standard sized sports cars like the 370z/mustangs/even corvettes.

Lord Cadillac
05-10-11, 02:40 PM
The reason I brought up Chevy is because I believe the Fiero failed on their account. They have too much pull at GM and never allowed it to be what it could be. I just added Toyota MR2 to the list in my first post.. I loved the Fiero but thought the MR2 was ugly - though it did have a very nice interior..

Stingroo
05-10-11, 02:44 PM
S2000 and Solstice/Sky are out of production.

Aron9000
05-10-11, 03:34 PM
Americans just don't like driving cars that small every day. So most of them were toys, weekend cruisers. IMO people that can afford a second car like that have quite a bit of disposible income. Notice that Corverttes, Benz SLK, BMW Z4, Lotus Elise, all of those cars are still around and sell well enough for the companies to justify production. Just saying that a lot of people who have toys have the bankroll to drop $20k on a Miata or 50k on BMW Z4, price isn't a big deal to them.

JimmyH
05-10-11, 04:00 PM
I may be alone in this feeling but I don't consider that the same type of car... And, yes - it IS awesome...

No, it is not the same kind of car. And no, it is not awesome. The Z is a sedan masquerading as a sports car. take away its "rev matching" computer controlled shifting, and its stiff as a board suspension, and it's a G35 without the benefit of a rear seat. I know a few guys (and i know who they are) here that are going to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

Nope. Because they're all powered by the wrong wheels.

GTI owners would tend to contest you on that. I would believe them.

Americans just don't like driving cars that small every day.
:yup: as much as I loved it, my MR2 had WAY too much body motion for commuting.

Ugly, a bit? Maybe. But once you are behind the wheel, you don't even remember, much less care, about that.

http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/cars/mycars/00MR2.jpg

vincentm
05-10-11, 04:05 PM
Pokemon cars

JimmyH
05-10-11, 04:12 PM
With gas prices going crazy, one might think you'd see more of these types of vehicles being sold.

people who have toys have the bankroll to drop $20k on a Miata or 50k on BMW Z4, price isn't a big deal to them.

that. with toy cars, you don't care about fuel economy. Besides there are cars like the Cruze Eco and Camaro Eco getting 42 and 30 mpg.

Lord Cadillac
05-10-11, 04:40 PM
It's fast and handles very nicely.. And I like the way it looks. To ME it's awesome. :p

No, it is not the same kind of car. And no, it is not awesome. The Z is a sedan masquerading as a sports car. take away its "rev matching" computer controlled shifting, and its stiff as a board suspension, and it's a G35 without the benefit of a rear seat. I know a few guys (and i know who they are) here that are going to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

drewsdeville
05-10-11, 04:50 PM

Take away the performance trans features, install softer suspension, increase the size, inserting a rear seat and you have a sports sedan...

Uh, no s***? :confused:

Soften the suspension, remove transmission performance features, increase size/install rear seats in a Corvette and you get a CTS-V

What's your point?

Jesda
05-10-11, 06:18 PM
The Z and Infiniti G have shared platforms since 2003. The 370Z is sharper and faster than the 350Z it replaces.
Regardless, the modern Z has never been a part of this segment. Its more of a sports tourer than a roadster. The differences between a roadster and a tourer are subtle but real. The Z is more comparable to the RX8.

Mazda has improved the looks of the NC Miata and spruced up the interior. With the loss of the Kappa cars, I do believe it is, once again, the best roadster for the money. MG, back when Nanjing owned them, said they had plans to build the TF here. I'm kind of glad that didnt happen, as the Nanjing version was cheaply built.

JimmyH
05-10-11, 06:56 PM
Take away the performance trans features, install softer suspension, increase the size, inserting a rear seat and you have a sports sedan...

Uh, no s***? :confused:

Soften the suspension, remove transmission performance features, increase size/install rear seats in a Corvette and you get a CTS-V

What's your point?

Anyone can make a car handle better by giving it stiff springs, and stiff shocks with hyper-fast rebound.
Fortunately for Nissan, the Z's truck-like ride is not a problem for most Z buyers.

What was your point? Good job comparing the Corvette to a CTS-V, which share, let's see, an engine :lol:

Stingroo
05-10-11, 07:35 PM
A block*

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-10-11, 08:54 PM
Interesting you'd bring this up today Sal. I actually went out for a nice little drive last night in a Solstice that's sitting on the used car lot of the dealer that I work at. Dropped the top, dropped the windows and enjoyed the wind in my hair feeling. With it's 173hp 2.4L Ecotec, it wasn't the fastest thing out there, but enjoyable nonetheless. What I didn't like about it was the "bathtub" feeling you get from the cramped interior, combined with a high dashboard/windshield and beltline. I sat in a brand new Miata at the auto show in Chicago and that one felt much more comfortable to me, with a smaller center console, more glass area and a lower windshield/dash and beltline.

But I agree though, there aren't enough of these on the new car market today. The 370Z is kind of the same league, but not because it's larger and is V-6 powered. The 370Z is almost the length/width of the Corvette, but with two less cylinders...

With the Solstice and Sky gone, there's no reason for Chevy not to put something like this in their lineup.

JimmyH
05-10-11, 10:05 PM
High belt-line is an acquired taste. You get used to it after a while. Then when you drive a car with a lower beltline, you feel somewhat exposed.

ThumperPup
05-10-11, 10:08 PM

how about the SLK

Stingroo
05-10-11, 11:11 PM
More like, SLGAY.

Amirite?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-10-11, 11:20 PM
My boss has one, but then again his wife is very hot.

I wouldn't take one, but I'd sure as hell take an SL.

ThumperPup
05-10-11, 11:38 PM
yeah but an SL is not exactly a size car that fits in the class of cars that sal is talking about i think

SL would be in a Mid Size Convertible where the CLK would be a full size Convertible and i consider the SLK to be a mid Economy Size Convertible no way near economy parts or car
but the size leaves it in the small sports care catagory

how ever if i where going to choose a Mercedes Convertible the one i would pick what have to be a 80s model 560 Convertible my neighbor has had 4 of them each for his wife over the past 25 years up untill he passed away then when his son got the dealership left to him he took it and traded his mother a Nice newer model BMW Convertible more room and easier for her to get in and out of in here old age

orconn
05-11-11, 12:15 AM
High belt-line is an acquired taste. You get used to it after a while. Then when you drive a car with a lower beltline, you feel somewhat exposed.

Some may get used to the "high Beltline" thing, but for me I would feel like I was driving a tennis shoe!

ThumperPup
05-11-11, 12:34 AM
Some may get used to the "high Beltline" thing, but for me I would feel like I was driving a tennis shoe!

what do you mean high belt line low belt line what is the difference what does that mean ?

JimmyH
05-11-11, 01:39 AM
I can only speak for myself; my beltline is not getting higher or lower, but rounder.

Aron9000
05-11-11, 02:34 AM

Sorry, this is just too funny!!

johnny kannapo
05-11-11, 11:25 AM
This is an in depth look at a genuine modern sports car.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/exige-s1-rebuild-80249/

gothicaleigh
05-11-11, 12:29 PM
What was your point? Good job comparing the Corvette to a CTS-V, which share, let's see, an engine :lol:

Not to mention that the CTS-V is on par with the base Corvette in performance. It shares partial engine design and a design variant of the shocks found in the ZR1. Soften the suspension, remove transmission performance features, and replace the engine from the ZR1 and you have... a Corvette. :gothiraspberry:

cadillac kevin
05-11-11, 02:52 PM
too bad GM quit making the fiero. rumored poncho was gonna shoehorn a chevy V8 in there for '90. that would have been the most badass (albeit deadly to speeding morons ) mini car ever. too bad that would have made it a whole hell of a lot quicker than the corvette, and we all know nothing can be faster than a corvette.

Lord Cadillac
05-11-11, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I could probably at the Fiero to my list here:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/community-lounge-introductions-general-discussion/229630-would-cadillac-super-car-bad-general-2.html#post2590210

The Fiero was just a cool looking car, in my opinion. A little Ferrari out of a GM division.. Even a turbo 4 or 6 would have been amazing...

too bad GM quit making the fiero. rumored poncho was gonna shoehorn a chevy V8 in there for '90. that would have been the most badass (albeit deadly to speeding morons ) mini car ever. too bad that would have made it a whole hell of a lot quicker than the corvette, and we all know nothing can be faster than a corvette.

Aron9000
05-11-11, 04:00 PM
Actually the Quad 4 motor would've been awesome in the Fiero. 180hp and a motor that liked to rev would've been a riot in that car.

JimmyH
05-12-11, 03:00 PM
I had the hots for a girl in high school who drove a Fiero.

ThumperPup
05-12-11, 03:48 PM
i had the hots for the sister of a dude i knew in highs cool who had a Fiero LOL

C&C
05-12-11, 03:54 PM
GM killed the Fiero (just) when they were getting it right. It could have been a contender. But the back-story of the Fiero is that the way they got the green light in the first place was that it was supposed to be an economical two seater for the commuter. Had they gone after the small sports car crowd to begin with (well, we'll just never know).

Lord Cadillac
05-13-11, 12:44 PM
And since then nobody has built another economical two seater for the commuter that looked nearly as nice.. An economical car that kinda had a little exotic look to it.. What an awesome idea...

GM killed the Fiero (just) when they were getting it right. It could have been a contender. But the back-story of the Fiero is that the way they got the green light in the first place was that it was supposed to be an economical two seater for the commuter. Had they gone after the small sports car crowd to begin with (well, we'll just never know).