: A new low for me - literally

turbojimmy
05-10-11, 10:46 AM
I know most people complain that their car runs out of gas while there are still "bars" remaining on the gauge, but I don't have that problem. Yesterday I got it to its lowest point ever. First time I saw it with NO bars, and the "LOW" light flashing. I made it home, but I'm afraid to try to drive it to the gas station (a few miles away). I might put some of my lawn mower stash in it to be safe.

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/low.jpg

outsider
05-10-11, 11:13 AM
haha awesome :D Mine stops around 1/4 tank.

HUF
05-10-11, 05:52 PM
I can make 16 miles with "E" flashing.

92 brougham
05-10-11, 07:05 PM
I've had my low light on a few times...no problem . I usually never go below a quarter tank though

Barrister_07101
05-10-11, 07:08 PM
I've had no bars and the 'low' light flashing before, been able to travel a few miles.

SDCaddyLacky
05-10-11, 07:22 PM
I run out of gas when I am at 3 bars:nono:

csbuckn
05-10-11, 11:20 PM
I saw that once on a caddy I owned but was never able to do it again.

brougham
05-11-11, 12:20 AM
Ive never seen that. Or maybe once a long time ago. I don't like paying the big gas bill filling it when it's that low so usually it doesn't get much below 1/4 of a tank.
I still prefer guages that show real levels like that. My DeVille says how many Litres are in the tank and distance to empty. But if it drops below a certain point it goes from actually telling you to just saying low.

thefleetwoodguy
05-11-11, 01:18 AM
haha awesome :D Mine stops around 1/4 tank.

Matt,
I have a good unit for u ,,,,,

still_walkin
05-11-11, 02:35 AM
yea mine usually gets to a half which is 7/8 gallons two days ago i hit 5 which is a low for me gas prices...

turbojimmy
05-11-11, 09:02 AM
Sounds like I can make it to the gas station then. It's only a couple of miles, and it just started flashing as I approached my house.

I gotta pick the kids up at school today, so I'll have to make sure I budget enough time to potentially walk to the gas station :-) I haven't moved it since Sunday, so the battery will be dead. Another item on the "to-do" list.

9ine3reefleet
05-11-11, 09:29 AM
This post is funny because my dash doesnt work at all anymore and usuallly I fill up every 4-5 days but yestrday, I dont know something threw me off and I didnt. Well to make a long story short, I ran out of gas yesterday making a left hand turn right in front of the gas station. The worst part about it was that it was about 90 freakin degrees outside with my 3 year old daughter (who was sweatin bullets) and my 10 month old son (who was cool through everything) in the car. The best part about it was that my barbershop is right next to the gas station and I called them, so 3 guys came out to give me a push. SOOOOOOOOOO EMBARISSING. I gotta get that thing fixed. ASAP.

P.S. Why do you have to push the brakes soooooooooo hard for the car to stop when it is off? and steering, its so hard to steer, its so dangerous when these cars cut off like that.

turbojimmy
05-11-11, 09:42 AM
This post is funny because my dash doesnt work at all anymore and usuallly I fill up every 4-5 days but yestrday, I dont know something threw me off and I didnt. Well to make a long story short, I ran out of gas yesterday making a left hand turn right in front of the gas station. The worst part about it was that it was about 90 freakin degrees outside with my 3 year old daughter (who was sweatin bullets) and my 10 month old son (who was cool through everything) in the car. The best part about it was that my barbershop is right next to the gas station and I called them, so 3 guys came out to give me a push. SOOOOOOOOOO EMBARISSING. I gotta get that thing fixed. ASAP.

P.S. Why do you have to push the brakes soooooooooo hard for the car to stop when it is off? and steering, its so hard to steer, its so dangerous when these cars cut off like that.

That's cool that you got a push. Technically, I've never run out of gas. Well maybe once when my GTO ran out at the intersection where the gas station was and I was able to coast up to the pumps. My MGB would always run out of gas, but that's because the electric fuel pump was crap. I kept a big spanner wrench in the trunk so I could beat on it. I usually got going again after a couple of whacks.

Annnnyway...the power brakes and steering run off of the engine. The brakes are vacuum assist, using engine vacuum, and the power steering is hydraulic using a pump driven off of the engine's crankshaft. When the engine stops, so does your "power assist".

Stingroo
05-11-11, 10:28 AM
Yep. And let me tell you - it SUCKS!

Cadillacboy
05-12-11, 11:21 AM
LOL, you're literally too bold to drive a car with no bar left :D
Seriously though , please do not drive this way because in long term your fuel pump lifespan will be shortened

robb257731
05-12-11, 01:16 PM
I ran out of gas in my 91 before I even bought it....I took it up to my mechanic to have him look at it. I never let my 92 get below 1/4 tank, so it didn't occur to me to look at the gas guage. The car lurched a couple of times on the way up to the mechanic (my city is on two levels...lower city and the heights) but I didn't think much of it. I mentioned it to the mechanic, and he didn't find anything.

On my way to take the car back to the seller, the frigging thing started lurching and I thought "oh no." It sputtered and died in the middle of the busiest street in the city...no power brakes or steering left....fortunately I managed to coast into a parking lot.

I called the seller "Your car just DIED on me, what the heck are you trying to pull?"

Imagine me feeling like a gigantic idiot when he looked at the dash and said "you ran out of gas."

The gas gauge is not to be trusted in that car...it stays full for way too long, then plummets to 3/4 in an instant, then the guage slows down as it gets emptier....give me an analogue gauge any day.