: Just ordered the new GMX 550 lock pick

ESCALADE132
05-09-11, 10:24 PM
Does anyone have the new 550 lock pick that you can hook up your iPad and iPod an iPhone up to? It's also a Nav lock pick and everything else. I just ordered on an wondered if anyone has it?
Thanks

ELUSIVE
05-10-11, 12:24 AM
I have it. Meh.
I don't use it for ipad or iphone. That part of it sucks in my opinion.
The lockpick is great for unlocking the DVD and Nav.

PreachRR
05-10-11, 10:01 AM
I have it and I think it is pretty great.. You can use it to watch videos on your nav screen and through your speakers.. sounds like a movie theater.. Or it has an out put that you can use without affecting the nav and routing to an external monitor for passengers.. I use an Ipod I bought for my 10 month old daughter and loaded all of her movies and teaching videos and what not.. and play them for her on her rear monitor.. and it affects nothing in the nave.. but if I want to play My ipod music then we just use that.. I think it is a great little device..

ESCALADE132
05-10-11, 12:48 PM
Thanks, when you say you play it on the rear monitor do you mean the the factory screen mounted on the roof? So when you plug your iPod into the GMX 550 it displays video as well as audio? That's pretty cool. I have a iPad also I wonder what things I can do with that. Do you have any external monitors or just the factory one on the dash and roof like mine?
Thanks

PreachRR
05-10-11, 03:50 PM
No I have some 7 inch screens attached to the headrests.. and I ran the output wires our from the console and plugged them into the head sets.. you could also use the RCA jacks in the rear of your console for the aux input.. and what ever apple device you use will play audio and video automatically on the external monitor.. to engage the video on your nav screen and stereo system you must start the GMX550 using the commands..

ELUSIVE
05-11-11, 12:42 PM
My issues and some of the reasons why I don't think it's that great:

1) It drives me completely nuts that I have to mute my stereo (and twice for that matter) to simply activate the lockpick.
2) It sucks that you can't use the up/down buttons on the stereo to change the songs when listening to an ipod.
3) If you have factory screens on the ceiling, video from an ipod won't play on them. Video will only play through the GMX550 on the front screen and any externally connected screens.
4) Getting video to play at all is very clunky and requires manual intervention from the ipod. This sucks if it's stored somewhere.
5) The interface through the GMX550 for changing music is not very good.
6) The menus aren't customizable. I think that they should allow you to customize the menus for the options that you like. This would allow each user to customize the menu for the options that they use and then won't have to scroll through every option when they are only using 3 or 4. For example: I use NAV in motion, DVD in motion, IPOD, and Rear camera. It would be sweet if i could make my menu have only those options.
7) The sound quality of music through ipod/GMX550 isn't that great. It's much better through the standard USB connection in my 2010. I do realize that pre-2010 models don't have this.
8) When playing music through the ipod, it constantly has this Check surroundings message on the top of the screen.
9) When the DVD player is unlocked, I can't seem to re-lock it. I've pressed the mute button twice ...nothing. I've pressed the mute button four times and selected DVD in motion Off....nothing.

This system could have been so much better than it is.
Just my $0.02.

PreachRR
05-11-11, 09:07 PM
sorry you are having a not so good time with yours and also for complaint about the steering wheel up and down feature for songs mine works great play and pause and music scrolling all work..