: Nitro Fill tires

ThumperPup
05-09-11, 09:02 PM
Ok so at the Dealer today i was reading up on some stuff about Nitro Fill but
well we all know if we believe everything we read then we would be in trouble lol
i go online and find info about it also find that at my avg miles driven a year if i had nitro in my tires instead of regular air then i would save anywhere from 300 to 400 dollars a year in gas
not to mention life of the tire and all

so i was wondering does anyone here have Nitro in there tires
is it all a gimmick to get more money out of our pockets or does it really work and help save MPG and safe tire life ?

gary88
05-09-11, 10:11 PM
Gimmick

Air is already 78% nitrogen

ThumperPup
05-09-11, 10:24 PM
Gimmick

Air is already 78% nitrogen

cool thanks
that i didn't know now it's good to know

wonder how many ppl they sucker money out of in this damm economy for that crap lol

EcSTSatic
05-10-11, 09:02 AM
You just have to Google it:

"Rather than pay extra for nitrogen, most drivers would be better off buying an accurate tire pressure gauge and checking and adjusting their tire pressures regularly." = TireRack
(http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?s_kwcid=TC%7C21263%7Cnitrogen%20fille d%20tires%7C%7CS%7Cb%7C6698650813&techid=191&index.jsp=&)

ThumperPup
05-10-11, 09:18 AM
i did google it and i also look on there website
and at first everything i was finding was talking great about it but it was also by the ppl who sold it and the company so of course they would hype up there product

the reason for this post was to see if anyone had been using it and see if it really is affective or not

RippyPartsDept
05-10-11, 10:02 AM
i have nitrogen in my tires... it didn't cost me anything to fill up (for obvious reasons)

we charge $12 for the green caps and $28 for the labor/service ... $40 total charge to fill up w/ nitrogen

you still need to check the tire pressures regularly even if you have nitrogen in there

the main benefit is that the tires tend to stay at a constant pressure ... in the winter this is a bigger deal than in the summer

people who have the tire pressures in the DIC and notice that it's lower on colder mornings and then goes up as they drive will often decide to get the nitrogen and are happy that the pressures stay the same with the nitrogen in there

ThumperPup
05-10-11, 10:31 AM
i guess the only reason i would consider it is if it really does save on gas cause for me thats about 300 -400 in gas savings per year if it truly does
do you notice you get better MPG at all ?

the dealer near me charges 49.00 for a nitro fill and rotation

but if it ever get's low for some reason that means i have to make sure to go to somewhere that has Nitro wich near me there are only 4 and they are all dealers no shops use them around here other then central cadillac and buick and a ganely dealer wich sucks

Skiller.
05-10-11, 10:40 AM
Please do not waste your money on a nitrogen fill in your tires.

RippyPartsDept
05-10-11, 10:43 AM
you can add air to nitrogen filled tires if they leak down (for whatever reason) ... just know that tire is no longer fully nitrogen

plus if it's leaking down there's probably a problem with either the wheel or the tire

ThumperPup
05-10-11, 11:10 AM
i think im going to stay away from it and just keep to what i have just regular air

00 Deville
05-10-11, 12:32 PM
Hey Pup when did you put Nav on that Seville? What's your next project.... Chinese HIDS?

ThumperPup
05-10-11, 05:01 PM
Hey Pup when did you put Nav on that Seville? What's your next project.... Chinese HIDS?

The Navi has been in there since June of 2009
i have replaced the unit 3 x's ones because the DVD drive did not work the second time was because the screen would not open and dvd would not eject had to take the entire unit apart to get the sics out
and then i had another one from the junk yard when i used muscle to try and get the unit to work after the audio went out turned out it was the amp fuse that was bad and i screwed up lol ]

yup waiting on my DDM HID's to come i hope they will be here mid week next week

got the DDM slim Kit with 5000k bulbs 55w

going to get that SES light soldered in in the next week or so going to buy a soldering gun and take care of it myself if i screw it up then ill have to pay someone to fix it

00 Deville
05-10-11, 06:25 PM
i have replaced the unit 3 x's.... going to get that SES light soldered in in the next week or so going to buy a soldering gun and take care of it myself if i screw it up then ill have to pay someone to fix it

I think you just talked me into keeping my $85 TomTom. What wrong with the SES light did someone pull it out to "turn it off"?

What did the HID's set you back?

Stingroo
05-10-11, 06:38 PM
I've heard really good reviews of the DDM HID kits, actually.

They're quite cheap too.

ThumperPup
05-10-11, 06:47 PM
I think you just talked me into keeping my $85 TomTom. What wrong with the SES light did someone pull it out to "turn it off"?

What did the HID's set you back?

They really are not bad systems it's just my bad luck lol

i know some here who are on the same sytem for 8 years now since car was new and working perfect

but not cheap for a decent unit with no problems would probaby be around 600-800

first one i paid 800 for

second one i paid 400

the last 2 i paid 175 and 320

In July ill be in wilmington going to cary NC for july 4th weekend
planing on hitting willmington up before so say hi to Chris you should come out also i think ill see if he wants to grab a beer that day if not ill just swing down to the dealer if he's at work and say yoooooo whats up

if you want you can check out the Navi unit so you can see how cool they are and how un saperior they are to the tom tom but how much they are much more worth it lol

the HID kit was 75 and change after shipping

Yeah it was yanked out before i bought the car
but i had it looked over first and the only issue was the plenum was cracked so had that fixed went for echeck showed them paper on work they passed me
last year showed them again the paper for the engine rebuild and they passed me aslo
they siad no pass this year if i don't get it fix

ThumperPup
05-10-11, 06:48 PM
I've heard really good reviews of the DDM HID kits, actually.

They're quite cheap too.

i got the 55w
for 10 dollars less you can get the 35w wich will show a bit more color

EChas3
05-10-11, 08:44 PM
Rippy is right. Nitrogen helps stabilize pressures a bit. Instead of one PSI for 10 degrees F, it might be 15 degrees F. In very cold or damp climates, it might also help prolong the life of TPMS sensors. Free, sure; not worth $10, let alone $40, IMHO.

Racers use it because it is so dry. Humid gas expands much more as a tire heats up. Race tires can burn a tire changer. How hot do your road car tires get?

ThumperPup
05-10-11, 09:14 PM
the main reason why i was considering it was because
i can spend 99 dollars for a 2 year membership to the Nitro fill club wich will let me take it in to a nitro location and have them filled or discharged and refilled any time i need if i had to mix regular air with it then i take it to the dealer location and they will discharge all in there and fill it back up with nitro
they also have some sort of road hazard coverage even if you didn't buy the tires from them
and road service support
for 99 for the first 2 years and then 99 a year after that
i know sounds like a lot when you could go to the gas station and pay 75 cents for a 5 minute air compressor to turn on
but if it helps to safe gas then it might be worth a try
but if it does not really do anything for your MPG then i don't want to wast my time or money

EChas3
05-10-11, 09:42 PM
Nitrogen doesn't save gas. How is it supposed to lower friction?

Air is free at a couple places around here. The road hazard protection is worth something but I'd bet they don't honor it on low profile tires. I recommend caution.

I bet the only real benefit is in their bank account.

ThumperPup
05-10-11, 09:59 PM
Nitrogen doesn't save gas. How is it supposed to lower friction?

Air is free at a couple places around here. The road hazard protection is worth something but I'd bet they don't honor it on low profile tires. I recommend caution.

I bet the only real benefit is in their bank account.

This year i won't have any Low Pro's or rims just stock wheels this year
im saving up for some other things i need to do first before rims
got cost of moving in the winter at over 1500 per pod for 3 of them
then there is going to be 3 trips this summer each one is going to be around 600 each
the hood to be refinished under 500 after taxes
possibly new front struts

so 2500 to go towards a set of rims and tires our not going to happen this year plus if i didn't sell them before the move thats just 4 other things to have to get down there

maeng9981
05-10-11, 10:38 PM
Unless I can fill 100% nitrogen for free, I am not going to do it. Pretty satisfied with the one that is available everywhere.

ThumperPup
05-10-11, 11:01 PM
cant even get free air near me anymore all the places with free air there pumps are usualy broken or you have to go to conrads and wait for them to fill you up because there pumps suck outside but they are free

bike riders not motor bikes but bicycles get free air at most the gas stations
they used to give you free air if you where fueling up but more then half stoped that also

i get free air and tire rotations for the next 4 years i also get free unlimted wheel alighments and inspections every 6k if i wish because i paid 199 for a 5 year algihment package at NTB i do that every 5 years because even if i don't keep a car for 5 years i can transfer it to the next car i buy great deal
instead of having to pay 60 -99 per alignment i can go there no questions asked say it's off and i need it and they take it right in

Stingroo
05-11-11, 08:40 AM
There's one chain up in North FL that has free air AND free vacuums.

I love that place. :D

EcSTSatic
05-11-11, 08:53 AM
carry a 12VDC air pump in your trunk if you want free air.

maeng9981
05-11-11, 10:34 AM
carry a 12VDC air pump in your trunk if you want free air.

:yeah: even a cheapy Walmart pump will help you when needed.

ThumperPup
05-11-11, 10:49 AM
I had a Pump that my Niebor gave me when her Husband passed she let me come and take first pick of all the stuff i wanted since i was the one who always took her up to the VA to visit him before he passed

He owned a Used car dealer ship for 40 years
so he had alot of cool stuff but this compresor was about 25 years old i remember it was the same one he used to pump my bike tries up with when they would be flat lol

i had it for about a year before it went bad

i am waiting for aldi's or safe alot ot send an add with a compresor for cheap i know int he summer they always come out with them for like 39.00 dollars so im going to wait for them i think

untill then ill just stop by NTB when i need air

STSS
05-11-11, 11:21 AM
Walmart has cheapo 12 volt compressors for $10... I used them when I used to live in apartments/on campus. Each one usually lasted about a year before it would go out.

A $40 compressor from Aldi? Who on earth buys an air compressor from Aldi?

ThumperPup
05-11-11, 11:27 AM
Walmart has cheapo 12 volt compressors for $10... I used them when I used to live in apartments/on campus. Each one usually lasted about a year before it would go out.

A $40 compressor from Aldi? Who on earth buys an air compressor from Aldi?

thanks im heading to walmart tomorrow so ill check it out

Aldi shoot you remember when that power outageh append what i think back in 2004 or was it 05 i think
it caused everything to stop
only places that where open where places that had generators they could use for power and only take cash

well i wen't to aldi's and bought a generator for 99.00 dollars that i saw they had in the sunday adds a few days before

ThumperPup
05-11-11, 07:20 PM
just went to walmart today got a 10 dollar little compressor going to try it out latter when i get a few things done but im guessing they are good cause they where just restocking on them when i got there said they sold out 2 days ago

Skiller.
05-12-11, 08:36 PM
I have all the free air I want from my garage. My Father being a Carpenter helps...He has several air compressors :D

Jonah, where have you been..??

Submariner409
05-13-11, 09:00 AM
Black&Decker used to market a neat little compressor named "Air Station". Maybe still do - I've had one for years - take the compressor cylinder head off once a year and lightly oil the piston and crankpin - it's still going strong.

For about $139 Porter cable makes a 150 psi 6 gallon tank compressor that comes with 25' of hose and a bunch of attachments - tire inflator, blow nozzle, football needle, stuff...............

For the everyday automobile driver, nitrogen fills are smack in the middle of P.T. Barnum's old adage.

Fill the tires with helium: a lighter car will get better gas mileage, right ????

ThumperPup
05-13-11, 10:09 AM
yeah but woudlnt that make the car fly away also
not sure guess its a bit to heavy but then again you rtlakin about 144 pounds of Helium wonder if that could make a car float would be funny

Stingroo
05-13-11, 10:12 AM
*facepalm*

ThumperPup
05-13-11, 10:13 AM
what ?

STSS
05-13-11, 03:51 PM
Jonah, where have you been..??

Hey Mikey. I be 'round. We've been crazy busy at work lately, and I have no internet at home right now, so I don't get to spend much time on here anymore. I usually have enough time to keep up with reading, but it's a real pain to log in and post from my work computer, so I don't end up posting much.

I hope to get a 3G/4G card soon, so I'll be connected with the world once again..... It's horrible not having internet at home (it'll be 2 years in August since I've had home internet).

ThumperPup
05-13-11, 04:14 PM
why no home internet ?
just because you never home enough to use it ?
or is there another reason

STSS
05-13-11, 04:26 PM
No cable in the area... it's either satellite or wireless....

ThumperPup
05-13-11, 04:29 PM
dang thats rough or ruff not sure wich one but one lol
i couldn't do that id move but thats me

can you get anything other then cable like att uverse internet or DSL from a phone provider ?

my one dude that lives out in Lagrange not far from grafton
has DSL

EChas3
05-13-11, 10:42 PM
i get free air and tire rotations for the next 4 years i also get free unlimted wheel alighments and inspections every 6k if i wish because i paid 199 for a 5 year algihment package at NTB i do that every 5 years because even if i don't keep a car for 5 years i can transfer it to the next car i buy great deal
instead of having to pay 60 -99 per alignment i can go there no questions asked say it's off and i need it and they take it right in

Not free, included. Most such places count on the fact that a lot of people never find the time to come back. It's the 'health club business model'.

Stingroo
05-14-11, 12:25 AM
Yep.

ThumperPup
05-14-11, 12:44 AM
tell you one thing most places don't count on me comming along lol
i avg on a year that i don't need any steering or suspension work done atleast 5 or 6 alighnments
the years the i end up needing some type of work done cause then that comes out to 7 or 8 a year figure id rather spend just shy of 200 for 5 years instead of 600-900 a year lol

EChas3
05-14-11, 10:58 AM
We didn't need an allignment in 3 years with a '98 STS. When replacing tires, we got it done but no changes were needed. It always drove straight & true. Our mechanic said he rarely has allignment issues with these cars.

If you need frequent allignments, I think something is wrong. If they are just checking it and not changing anything, why waste the time?

ThumperPup
05-14-11, 11:10 AM
the reason i have needed so many aliments in the past is because
i drive anywhere from 35k to 50k a year
i have had both tie rod ends replaced both wheel bearings replace Control arms replaced new tires every winter keep the old ones for summer in case i blow a flat or just sell them for extra cash
i don't get things changed in pairs unless they are both bad

i drive in Detroit sometimes cant avoid pot holes and sometime they are bad enough to throw the aliment off

drewsdeville
05-14-11, 11:21 AM
yeah but woudlnt that make the car fly away also
not sure guess its a bit to heavy but then again you rtlakin about 144 pounds of Helium wonder if that could make a car float would be funny

Wait, stop for a minute, seriously...is this for real? :suspense:

If so, you may want to consider pumping helium into the cabin and going for a LONG trip to record the fuel mileage difference. After all, there's a lot more volume in the cabin than in them little tires.

If it wasn't for real, then disregard.

ThumperPup
05-14-11, 11:26 AM
Wait, stop for a minute, seriously...is this for real? :suspense:

maybe maybe not

drewsdeville
05-14-11, 11:33 AM
maybe maybe not

You know what you should totally do, man? You should remove the front wheels, then bolt propellers in their place, then make the car float by pumping helium in the cabin. Then run in the house, tell your parents you'll be right back, hop in the car, plug in your Space Jam soundtrack, and FLY!!!!

SUPER AWESOME, YO!

RippyPartsDept
05-14-11, 11:45 AM
http://just-thinkin.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/flying-car-4.jpg

ThumperPup
05-14-11, 12:18 PM
You know what you should totally do, man? You should remove the front wheels, then bolt propellers in their place, then make the car float by pumping helium in the cabin. Then run in the house, tell your parents you'll be right back, hop in the car, plug in your Space Jam soundtrack, and FLY!!!!

SUPER AWESOME, YO!

you first