: Hesitation in 1989 Cadillac Brougham

reelheavy
05-09-11, 08:31 PM
Back again.
Now that i changed the oil and all that good stuff. it seems that when the car heats up while driving it gets slugging like it feels like I am driving a manual instead of a automatic. I checked all my plugs there in good codition and I think it is the Catalyic converter but i am not sure. and the only other thing that is wrong in the exhaust is that behind the rear passanger tire there is about a 16 inch of pipe missing and thats it.

csbuckn
05-09-11, 09:50 PM
Tranny is getting sluggish after it warms? Shifts slow?

cadillac kevin
05-09-11, 09:58 PM
personally I'd be leaning more towards a transmission issue.
but if you want to see if its the cat, just remove it, and take the car for a spin. if the cat is bad, just put a muffler that looks like a cat there (or gut the cat)

missing the pipe behind the rear axle is not uncommon. usually rusts off. mine rusted off and all that was left was the exhaust tip and the hoop over the rear axle.

sven914
05-09-11, 10:51 PM
The carburettor and spark plugs may be gummed up with crud. Try running a fuel system cleaner in you next tank; I use Gumout with Regane.

reelheavy
05-09-11, 11:00 PM
Tranny is getting sluggish after it warms? Shifts slow?

yes it is.

reelheavy
05-09-11, 11:02 PM
The carburettor and spark plugs may be gummed up with crud. Try running a fuel system cleaner in you next tank; I use Gumout with Regane.

I pulled the plugs and they were good and not to long ago i started putting 89 in the tank instead of 87 i figured it may cost more but will benefit me in the end.

sven914
05-09-11, 11:26 PM
Using a higher octane gasoline than the engine was designed for can cause problems. The higher octane fuels can leave residue in the combustion chamber, which can make the engine feel sluggish.

But if you think it is a transmission issue, then take the car and have the transmission flushed by a reputable transmission shop. The shop should change the filter and inspect it for debris, and after all of the crap is cleaned from the gear box, it will shift better and respond faster.

reelheavy
05-09-11, 11:32 PM
right but i figured the car is 20+ years old. I really don't know what to do because I am not heavy in the pocket right now but idk..... a little stressed out......

csbuckn
05-09-11, 11:46 PM
Well the tranny fluid cools through the radiator so if its running hot, maybe the tranny fluid getting hot too. But I think you should try changing the fluid/filter and see what happens or add some tranny magic type stuff and see if works. Unfortunately, the 200R4 is one of the weakest trannies available and it might be on its way out.

reelheavy
05-09-11, 11:53 PM
Well it might be time for a new one. but im going to try and avoid it if i can

csbuckn
05-09-11, 11:56 PM
Swap it with a 700R4, grab the tranny and the driveshaft out of a 90-92 Brougham and you now have a stronger tranny.

sven914
05-10-11, 12:55 AM
I wouldn't swap it yet... Sure, the 200 is a weak assed transmission, but the 307 bolted to it doesn't have the cojones to break anything.

Have the transmission serviced before you make plans to replace it; a $45 part could fix everything.