: Think long and hard before you put a Clear Bra on your car.

darvish
05-09-11, 07:11 PM
I was getting the V1 ready to sell and noticed the clear bra put on when I bought the car in 04 was looking pretty crappy. Scratched up, etc.

I started to remove it after looking at some YouTube videos on the subject. They pulled it right off with not much problem as the film is pretty sturdy. After 6 years on a car it tends to get scratches all out of proportion to the paint on the car. These ting scratches make the film liable to tear off when removing... no big deal.. it just took a long time on a hot day.....BUT...That adhesive is beyond difficult to remove. I have tried every adhesive remover I can find with poor results... The best... or least ineffective at least, is something called AIRCRAFT ADHESIVE REMOVER..(Not for use on aircraft by the way... it's on the back of the can)

Someday you WILL want to replace or remove that clear bra and I am here to tell you... you will be sorry you ever put the thing on....

I was thinking of doing it to the Diamond Edition wagon..I am glad I did this before I puled the trigger on that.

So.. think LONG and HARD before you do the Clear Bra...

Caddy Wagon
05-09-11, 07:20 PM
I've never thought about the removal process. Surely it's not supposed to be that hard?

darvish
05-09-11, 07:26 PM
Neither did I. And it is THAT hard. I will never take it off my Elise now.

hunterkiller
05-09-11, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the info

wcryan
05-09-11, 07:37 PM
good thing I didnt buy one..... I was so close. Thanks for the heads up

MReiland
05-09-11, 07:42 PM
This is the stuff I have been using for a long time http://www.autogeek.net/3m-adhesive-remover-32.html?productid=3m-adhesive-remover-32&channelid=FROOG
It disolves every adhesive I have ever used it on almost instantly.

JOEYCTS-V
05-09-11, 07:45 PM
Why need leave it to a professional? I've seen it done at my buddy's shop without a problem.

neuronbob
05-09-11, 07:47 PM
To be honest, a clear bra should only be removed to replace it. That pretty much solves the adhesive problem, no? The advantages far outweigh this particular disadvantage IMHO. Also, that's what a professional installer is for.

darvish
05-09-11, 07:57 PM
Why need leave it to a professional? I've seen it done at my buddy's shop without a problem.

After 6 years?

darvish
05-09-11, 08:00 PM
This is the stuff I have been using for a long time http://www.autogeek.net/3m-adhesive-remover-32.html?productid=3m-adhesive-remover-32&channelid=FROOG
It disolves every adhesive I have ever used it on almost instantly.
It was what I used first, no joy.
It has always worked for me in the past on every other application. I used to restore Morgan sports cars for a hobby and have enough chemicals in my garage to qualify for EPA monitoring.

dvandentop
05-09-11, 08:33 PM
tried using a heat gun while pulling it off?

JOEYCTS-V
05-09-11, 08:44 PM
After 6 years?

It doesn't matter if it was 6 or 20 years. Any shop will remove it for you.

jojipoji
05-09-11, 11:27 PM
I removed mine off of my s2000 no problem whatsoever. Must be the adhesive used to put the 3m on.

Domsz06
05-10-11, 08:39 AM
my guy that put mine on removes some as old as 15 years and no issue. He uses a steamer though so maybe that's it. A professional put it on, so I'd leave it to a professional to pull it off.... Just saying. Also I know that if you do not pull it off at a 5 or 10 degree angle it will leave lots of residue on, how did you pull it off? 90 degrees from the film or did you remove it very tight back onto it's self?

EVIL_C5
05-10-11, 09:03 AM
I have taken several off, I use a dry vapor steamer to heat the film up to remove it, then the 3m adhesive remover to get what little glue is left.

Tuna
05-10-11, 09:52 AM
Now that it's off and the glue is the remaining problem, it's probably too late to steam it. Have you tried a body prep cleaner - something designed to clean all the wax, oil and other stuff off the paint before it's repainted?

darvish
05-12-11, 05:30 PM
After using every adhesive remover I could find... the thing that did the trick was a fluid I use to clean weapons... I soak the gun parts in this stuff over night and even an M16 bolt carrier comes out looking new. It's called Slip 2000.. It seems to be orange oil based and took the stuff off with not a lot of effort with a bug scrubber.. Did nothing to the paint....

MReiland
05-12-11, 07:48 PM
Awesome, thanks for the tip!