: Ultraview question

jkasp22
05-09-11, 11:04 AM
I have been looking for an 09 V for a few months now and am officially horrified by the sunroof stories coming out of this forum. The longer I shop the harder it seems to find not only the features I'm looking for without a sunroof attached to the deal, but any V2 without a sunroof at all. I want a car that I can drive until it goes tits up at 180k+ miles, and don't want to be having night terrors about the ultraview creaking/leaking or checking for water damage every time I drive in the rain. While I'm not in a massive rush to buy, lately I've been having dark thoughts about getting the color/transmission/Recaros I want in any of several available cars that come with the roof, and hoping that I don't join the long list of sunroof regret stories.

Is the ultraview problem as bad as it seems, or am I reading too far into this? Being that my finances (significantly) limit me to an 09 V, should I consider getting one with a sunroof and hoping for the best or should I ride out the market for as long as it takes? Any input appreciated,
Thanks
Jason

mannyz
05-09-11, 11:18 AM
The only problem I've had with my sunroof is trying to close it while cruising at 160mph..

nynd
05-09-11, 11:22 AM
I had my 09V for 2 years.. no issue with Ultraview. I thought the leaking started in a certain batch build in 2011?

Junkie414
05-09-11, 11:36 AM
Mine in my 09 is fine with no noises

buddyg
05-09-11, 11:39 AM
Brand new 2011 no issues and we had massive rain in April 3 inches over normal

Oldchevguy
05-09-11, 11:42 AM
2010 with no creaks, cracks, or leaks.

Domsz06
05-09-11, 11:49 AM
2009 ultrareview, no problems here.

jeff342
05-09-11, 11:55 AM
I had mine tilted in the vent position when I had a little run off with my son in his 05 Vette. At 130 the wind roar was scary had to close it fast. Next time it stays closed.

rjoffe
05-09-11, 11:56 AM
Just as a data point, I rented an '11 CTS (non V) last week down in FL. We had torrential downpour on Friday, and my kids noticed a small wet area (silver dollar size) on the drivers side half way between the ultraview and the rear window. The car had 4K miles on it.

Ron

JFJr
05-09-11, 12:02 PM
An awful lot of us, including me, have no problems whatsoever with the sunroof. If the car sits in the hot sun for hours, you might hear an occasional faint pop until the interior cools down. That is a characteristic of the materials and not a reflection of build quality.

Jud

jwa999
05-09-11, 12:06 PM
My 09 V (nov 08 build) has been parked outside for almost 2 1/2 years, no issues with leaks, very little creak.
There are lots of build issues with these cars. Have warranty, don't worry.

garfin
05-09-11, 12:11 PM
I've had my '10 sedan with the Ultraview for over a year and the only issue I have with it is that it's somewhat noisy at highway speeds.
I also need to lower the seat from my regular driving position in order to sit in the car when wearing a helmet.
I would still order the car today with the Ultraview.

Best regards,

Elie

tedcmiller
05-09-11, 12:39 PM
If the car has no sunroof (moonroof, ultraview. etc.) you can't have any problems with it. Unless you plan on using the sunroof a lot, I would recommend that you not get a car with one. I had a 2004 CTS-V with no sunroof and didn't miss it at all. I then had a 2005 CTS-V with a sunroof which I never used (the purchase was too good a deal to pass up). Based on my experience with the two preceding cars, I ordered and received my 2009 CTS-V with no sunroof. I'm glad I have no sunroof.

jb_bgg
05-09-11, 01:02 PM
09 w/sunroof, replaced the seals under warranty for wind noise issues, no leaks or damage I could find.

neverl8
05-09-11, 02:21 PM
09 V no sunroof! I've had several cars with sunroofs and they are just a problem waiting to happen. If you keep the car long enough say 4-6 years you will have leaks and or wind noise. Just my .02

LitiGATOR
05-09-11, 02:45 PM
Mine is an '09 and has recently started to creak a little; no issues other than that.

David Nicholas
05-09-11, 05:21 PM
I debated the same myself. I drove several used cars w/Ultra-view and had two observations:
1. Seemed less rigid than non-UV sedans. I admit, this is a purely subjective assesment, but if you drive one wheel up over a curb, (very slowly), while the other 3 are on flat ground, you can get a "feel" for the body flex. The cars with U-view just seemd to creak a bit more, and the roof seemed to move slower, suggesting it was seeing the body flex. (again, I didn't actually put a stopwatch to it, or an amp-meter to the motor)
2.After some time, the shade just hangs poorly. It's not the rigid shade of normal moonroofs, and after the sun gets to the fabric, it just looks decidedly "un-Cadillac". I couldn't live with it. (in 5 cars, I never noticed any sign of leaks, if that's your concern)

I bough a new sedan without the UV roof. Couldn't be happier. I also decided agianst Recaros. If you plan on sitting in the car great lengths of time, I suggest you spend at least an hour in those seats. While they were great at holding me in, even minor pressure points became major pains after an hour or so. I really don't intend to slosh a new caddy around so hard that I need racing-type seats, but I do want to be comfortable.

RapidRob
05-09-11, 06:32 PM
2/09 build date with no leaks or creaks. I think there is only a small percentage of V's with UV that have problems IMO.

Rob

neuronbob
05-09-11, 07:53 PM
2009 3/2009 build, 25.5k miles, daily driven, NO issues. My car in general is tight as a drum.

Folks with issues are more likely to bring them up so they (appropriately) can get some help. The leaking issue is only on a batch of 2011s.

darvish
05-09-11, 08:04 PM
The only complaint I have with the moon roof is that it is not dark enough... I will be fixing that this weekned with some limo tint.

dvandentop
05-09-11, 08:34 PM
09 the year of the good ultraviews LOL

no problems here

tbss08
05-09-11, 09:22 PM
09 V with 12 weeks in the shop for roof and ultraview issues.

neverl8
05-10-11, 07:15 AM
I like the fact that the car feels more rigid without the sunroof. I also look at this way, the car is a four door vette to me. So I think it looks better as in more muscular without it as opposed to a luxury ride with it.

jkasp22
05-10-11, 12:31 PM
Holy shit that is why I love this forum, in addition to being able to research anything imaginable you can ask a question and 5 minutes later not be able to read replies fast enough to keep up with all the people writing in. Thanks for the responses, I feel better now about a sunroof being a roll of the dice instead of being screwed for sure, hopefully there won't be a follow up to this where I went with a UV and ended up hating life because of it.
Thanks guys
Jason