: Considering buying 99 STS

zcad
05-08-11, 09:45 PM
I'm thinking of buying a 99 caddy Seville STS. has aprox 100,000 miles looks to be in very good condition and drives like a dream.

Wanted to know if there is any major issues with these cars I found one for rear main seals thats all I have really found. Wondering if there is any other common issues I should look for on these cars. I didn't have time to look it over properly so im going back tommorow. Hopfully your guys can lend me a hand let me know what to check.

Thanks in advance,
Nick S

chazglenn3
05-08-11, 10:10 PM
Drive it up a long hill at a decent speed and watch the temperature gauge closely. These are prone to pulled head bolts that result in the head gasket failing. You will find much more information down in the Seville and Northstar forums.

zcad
05-09-11, 07:08 AM
ok thanks for the tip.. don't think there are many hills around here. Would it work if i just drove it hard or loaded up the endine with break on?

chazglenn3
05-09-11, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure what you mean but the guys in the Seville forum will be able to help. I haven't been hanging out in there since I got my '05.

Bucketokarma
05-11-11, 03:44 PM
Post, or have this thread moved to the seville/eldo forum. They will be able to help you much more since a '99 "STS" is a Seville Touring Sedan. The "new" STS (or current incarnation of it), is no longer a Seville in any way (I don't really get it either).

As for the purchase you are considering; I am currently having a problem with my rear main, as well as wheel bearings, int-steering, and tie rod ends, as well as a possible strut problem. That is just me though, many Sevilles have long healthy lives. I am just a sucker that bought a car from a guy that "fixed" the car to make a sale (all band-aid fixes to stop noises and leaks temporarily till the sale went through), and I was too blinded by my desire for the car, and became a gullible kid. By the time the band-aids came off (like stop-leak stopped working and things like that), it was past the used car warranty.

Right now I'm in a position where I have to decide if I'm going to cut my losses with this one, and save up for a newer one, or spend more money (that we no longer have) fixing it (for real this time) and hoping that this is going to be as bad as it gets...

EChas3
05-11-11, 11:32 PM
These are beautiful cars; flawed, but beautiful.

Such is life!