: So I bought a Buick, and I have some questions...

HAZZARDJOHN
05-08-11, 08:19 PM
Sorry I have been away for a while, My new job has the internet locked down so I can't check in here on breaks even and I have been super busy with the move, but I am back with some new questions.

Short story long, I moved to a farm house about 28 miles from work, it has been windy as hell out here so on the drive into work my 98 Dodge Ram 1500 with 33" tires was not getting its normal 15-18 MPG that it usually gets. It was a month of getting 10-12 MPG that got to me. It was so windy that it would hardly stay in OD at 75 MPH. So since I love my pickup and want to keep it forever! (John + Old Blue =4-ever :heart:) I decided to get a daily driver. I am a big fan of the GM 3.8 so once I decided not to buy a car that I would fall in love with, I looked at a lot of park avenues, but the ones around here were beat and had a lot of miles so I ended up with a 2005 lesabre, even worse a custom (only limited in SD I found for sale had 150K on the clock) So other than its boring rental car looks it is a really nice low mileage car and I am happy with what it is for.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/226539_10150565509630462_519250461_18138996_790112 8_n.jpg
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/223497_10150565506805462_519250461_18138969_123656 1_n.jpg
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/228254_10150565509750462_519250461_18138997_815763 6_n.jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225702_10150573858390462_519250461_18244792_718869 2_n.jpg

2/3's of the fleet (I miss my Caddy, it is been a hard spring to get her out of storage in MN and over here to South Dakota) BTW I know they are dirty but it has been raining like a Biatch here and it is muddy everywhere.

So anyway I am happy with the car, but it is boring and I have never really owned a boring car. So I am looking for some style upgrades, I am going to paint the grill opening gloss black as well as the reverse light surround so it looks like a limited. It has a small crack in the front bumper above the grill so my uncle who works for a GM dealership body shop is going to replace it with a new one for cheap (I got 1000 knocked of the price for the damage and my Uncle will fix it for less than $500) That is about it for the body other than a good buffing that it needs. But the part I need help with is wheels. I Hate Hate Hate Hate the wheels. I am looking for a readily available good looking wheel not necessarily from a buick that would look good on there. I think Pontiac made some nice wheels for the Grand Prix, and I love 94-96 Impala's so I was thinking about a 2000+ Impala 16" wheel that is similar in style.

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/prodimg/ALY05082U.jpg

^ Obviously I would get an emblem made that changes it to a buick emblem.

What are your guy's thoughts?

~HJ

hueterm
05-08-11, 08:50 PM
Unless they're wheel covers, those wheels look pretty good on that car...I'd get some new blackwall tires and keep the wheels, and get a nice stereo upgrade -- in addition to fixing the cracked grille.

Looks very nice. How many miles does it have? 30MPG highway is awesome!

HAZZARDJOHN
05-08-11, 08:57 PM
They are rims, but I don't like them. They look cheap. I had them throw new tires in on the deal so it will have blackwalls put on it on monday. It has 70 some thousand miles on it. The dealer had a fleet of them for sale, and this had the lowest miles.

orconn
05-08-11, 09:04 PM
If you keep an eye out on Ebay you may be able to find Buick medallions that will stick on those Chevy center caps perfectly and look fine. I agree the wheels on this Buick do nothing for the cars appearance, but some nice alloys would make a big improvement. This Le Sabre should give you some good service, congratulations on your new DD!

V-Eight
05-08-11, 09:27 PM
Congrats on the new ride! I agree that this car would look great with a wheel upgrade, those Impala wheels would probably suit it pretty well.

greencadillacmatt
05-08-11, 09:41 PM
^Yeah, you don't really see them on Buicks too much. I think they will match the car quite nicely.

Ranger
05-08-11, 10:18 PM
I just replaced my wife's '96 Bonneville (3.8) with an '05 Le Sabre Limited with 25K on it. The Pontiac had around 175K on it and the motor was about as reliable as one could ask for. Did not burn one drop of oil. I must say that this Buick is about as nice as my DHS and would be my second choice. It's equipped as well (and better in a few respects) and rides about as nice. I think you made a good choice and will be happy with it.

P.S.
She's been averaging 24+ MPG since Jan. Not bad.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-08-11, 10:26 PM
I love my Supercharged 3800. 84k miles, and I average 21.5-22.0 mpg, mainly in-town driving. I drive it hard, and if I didn't, I might be able to get 22-23 out of it, around town. Your LeSabre will get even better mileage, without the supercharger and my lead foot. It'll be a great car for the 56 mile round trip to and from work.

ted tcb
05-08-11, 11:24 PM
Nice catch.

What caught my eye were the clear headlight lenses.

They look "showroom" new, unreal for a 6 year old car.

I had the same colour in a boring 1998 Custom ... great car to take to
Florida, and it was very reliable. Only issues was the intake gasket, fixed
for around $700.

Enjoy ... look forward to pics with new rims, and maybe a tint?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-08-11, 11:30 PM
Where in SD did you pick the LeSabre up from? That "Billion" dealership must be a huge one, because we do a lot of dealer trades with their Nissan franchise.

Put those Impala wheels on there, it would look a lot better! Have you also considered those awesome looking Grand Prix GT/GTP wheels? The 5-spoke ones with the twist in the spoke.

JimmyH
05-09-11, 12:39 AM
Those LeSabres are very very nice. My grandma has one. A 2002, or 2003 maybe. It looks identical to yours. It's a garage queen with about 35k on the clock. She plans on giving it to my cousin when he turns 16. I am really hoping he is like most teenagers and says thanks, but no thanks to the old-lady-buick, and she sells it to me cheap. It would make a great winter car. Even though the whole front end had to be rebuilt from an accident, you would never know it by looking at it or driving it. The body shop that fixed it must have been artists. Actually, the insurance company wanted to total it, but my grandma has an emotional connection to the car (the last car my late grandpa bought) and the body shop fought with the insurance company for her to fix it. They gave in, and these guys did a phenomenal job. I was very close with my grandpa and that emotional connection is another reason I want the car.

ben.gators
05-09-11, 12:57 AM
^
This is so emotional, I really hope you can get the Buick and keep it in a condition that it really deserves. This car survived the front end accident, but it will not survive a 16 year old driver!

JimmyH
05-09-11, 01:09 AM
I know. That is what worries me. He was very close to them, and now her, plus his parents are not as well off as I am, so I feel he deserves the car. But if he takes it and beats the crap out of it, I will be pissed, and beat the crap out of him http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/gif/biggrin.gif He'll probably do what his brother did anyway, and go out and buy a $2000 Rustang that will last a year.

Playdrv4me
05-09-11, 01:47 AM
Those Impala wheels would look a little silly on that body style of Buick in my honest opinion (I've seen it and it SORT OF works I guess). While I agree those wheels are a tad boring, I'd probably replace them with the chrome STS style wheel that WAS an option on those Buicks for some years (obviously with a Buick center cap). There's a few others, including wheels from the Park Avenue Ultra.

http://www.wheels-and-rims.com/images/ALY04539U.jpg

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/256567751/Buick_Park_Avenue_Wheel.jpg

Nothing wrong with the restrained and classy Buick style, just needs to be spiced up a little.

JimmyH
05-09-11, 01:52 AM
I think the wheels he has look good. The buick wheel Ian posted above would look good too. No chrome though.

HAZZARDJOHN
05-09-11, 02:05 AM
Where in SD did you pick the LeSabre up from? That "Billion" dealership must be a huge one, because we do a lot of dealer trades with their Nissan franchise.

Put those Impala wheels on there, it would look a lot better! Have you also considered those awesome looking Grand Prix GT/GTP wheels? The 5-spoke ones with the twist in the spoke.

After we settled on a lesabre (Chad knows from facebook that this was a tough decision as I had a brief fling with a Crown Vic that ended up getting sold before I could make up my mind) I had called Billion buick in Watertown and asked if they had any lesabres or Park Avenues (I wanted a park ave) and they said they didn't so they put me in touch with their Buick dealer in Sioux falls. he sent me several Park Ave's and Lesabre, to choose from. none of the parks had less than 100K miles and the one limited Lesabre had 150K so I had to settle for a silver (I hate silver) custom. Well the one I picked out was in Rapid City. He had it shipped to Sioux Falls, which is about two hours south of me. Well I asked to get it brought up to Watertown instead. Well he ended up bringing it right to my door here with all the paperwork. I test drove it here had my mechanic look it over, filled out my paper work and he got a ride home from the courtesy shuttle from Watertown. It was the easiest time I ever had buying a car. So I guess Billion is all over the state.

I have thought about several Pontiac wheels and they might work pretty good because most just say ABS on the cap right? What about those Chrome regal rims too? They might look good

Aron9000
05-09-11, 02:05 AM
Your Buick needs some 17" 2000 DTS blades on it. That's actually my favorite part of the whole car, probably one of the best looking factory wheel options Cadillac has offered.

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/46261024.jpg

HAZZARDJOHN
05-09-11, 02:11 AM
Those do look good, are they the same wheel pattern as a lesabre?

Playdrv4me
05-09-11, 02:29 AM
Yea they are. But I dunno about those... Maybe the polished version (hard to find but they do exist).

ga_etc
05-09-11, 07:23 PM
The DTS "blades" are really nice. It would be interesting to see how they look on a LeSabre.