: Stock 22 rub

MrHolland
05-08-11, 07:41 PM
I happen to notice yesterday that theres a rub on the driver side inner fender. I turned the wheel all the way and verified that the tire does rub. Should this be happening?? I need too have some work done on it and will inquire about it during that time. Rub or not, I still love my Cadillac!!!

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-13-11, 01:49 PM
If you have the fully stock wheel and tire combination I would simply assume that this should not be happening to the vehicle. Hopefully when you take the vehicle in your dealer can address this issue for you. Keep us updated on your trip please!

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

MrHolland
05-13-11, 09:10 PM
Yes sir it is the stock configuration, 2010 platinum with maybe 1200 miles. Thank you for your interest and ill keep you posted.

Daniel10Slade
05-15-11, 01:18 PM
Im pretty sure I have the same thing also! But I hear the "rub" on rainy days only.

My dealer said its normal and there is nothing they can do....

MrHolland
05-15-11, 06:06 PM
Im pretty sure I have the same thing also! But I hear the "rub" on rainy days only.

My dealer said its normal and there is nothing they can do....
I hope my dealer doesnt also tell me its normal. A brand new factory configured car simply should not do that. Im scheduling an appointment tomorrow to take it in, Ill report back my findings. I would recommend Daniel10Slade to check with another dealer in your area. This process could be simplified if certain aspects of the Cadillac dealerships were standardized, specifically warranty work. I have noticed that my steering wheel is off and am hoping that a simple wheel alignment will remedy this issue.

LeftLane
05-15-11, 10:10 PM
I had a problem with the stock 22 rubbing in the wheel well on a full lock right hand turn that sounded like grinding noise.The dealer took a pair of tin snips like cutters and trim off the area that was rubbing,which was about .5 inch.No more rubbing and you cant tell where he made the cut.:bouncy:
Mine was rubbing on the passenger side.He turned the wheel too full right hand lock and took his hand and felt behind the wheel and there is a area(lower wheel well) that is really close to the wheel and trimmed it back .5 inch.
Real simple fix and no more grinding when I make hard right hand turns.

MrHolland
05-15-11, 11:44 PM
I had a problem with the stock 22 rubbing in the wheel well on a full lock right hand turn that sounded like grinding noise.The dealer took a pair of tin snips like cutters and trim off the area that was rubbing,which was about .5 inch.No more rubbing and you cant tell where he made the cut.:bouncy:
Mine was rubbing on the passenger side.He turned the wheel too full right hand lock and took his hand and felt behind the wheel and there is a area(lower wheel well) that is really close to the wheel and trimmed it back .5 inch.
Real simple fix and no more grinding when I make hard right hand turns.
I dont understand what he trimmed, mine is rubbing on the inner fender in such a place that I dont think it can be trimmed. Trimming seems like it would just leave a hole in the inner fender.

Daniel10Slade
05-16-11, 11:37 AM
I dont understand what he trimmed, mine is rubbing on the inner fender in such a place that I dont think it can be trimmed. Trimming seems like it would just leave a hole in the inner fender.

I kinda agree.

Let me know if your dealer could do anything, because if so then i'll do just the same thing.

Especially that you have a $80,000+ SUV it should not be doing that, and even on a $74,000 SUV for that matter.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-20-11, 11:49 AM
Have all of you experienceing this been into your dealers to get this diagnosed? If you have been and your dealer was unable to assist you (Daniel10Slade as I see in post #4) by setting up cases for all of you with our Customer Assistance team to see what we can do to help all of you. If you want a case for this send me your name, address and phone number and I'll get you setup. I hope this helps.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

MrHolland
05-20-11, 11:44 PM
My car is at the dealer now being looked at. Should get it back early next week, dealer is waiting for the chrome trim for the hood to arrive. Window molding also had a bubble in it and they agreed to replace it, as well as fix a paint chip that probably occured during assembly, judging by its location. Steering wheel was also off on the same side as the rub. I believe they put it up on the rack and re-alligned it. Ill post again after I have the car back. Thank you very much for your attention Mr. Jeff Morris. Thus far my dealer has been very accomodating, although I do wish they wouldve given me a Cadillac to drive. Instead, I have an Equinox, but its certainly better than "heel toe express"........

LeftLane
05-23-11, 06:38 AM

here is a pix. Mine was rubbing on the passenger side. The cut he made is the red line.The red circle is a hole that's in the well from the factory,I guess.There is no way for it to rub a hole where the red circle is,as it would have to rub the spring first.It's too far back.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/UpsMan220/Cadillac/mod.jpg?t=1306142921

MrHolland
05-23-11, 04:29 PM
AH, thats in the front of the well, mine is rubbing in the rear and not anywhere near the edge. Thank you very much for taking the time to post

MrHolland
05-24-11, 11:53 PM
UPDATE: I took my car to the dealer for hood trim, inop pass mirror, window moulding, paint chip and driver front rubbing the inner fender.

1. Hood trim took seven days to arrive and be installed, looks great.
2. Replaced motor in pass mirror, works properly.
3. Claimed to have replaced window moulding, I doubt they did and if so it has the exact same problem in the same place. No big deal, will inquire during next visit.
4. Paint chip fixed, very pleased.
5. Driver front wheel, aligned the front end to correct steering wheel, wasnt straight. Was informed that although the truck is stock GM uses an "aftermarket" GM wheel on the Platinum edition Escalade. This particular "aftermarket" GM wheel is wider than a regular Escalade wheel and consequently rubs the inner fender. "We have done all that we can to fix this issue. The "aftermarket" GM Platinum wheels look great, but because they are wider than intended they will rub."

So I seem to be getting the usual run around that most others have been getting. When I picked up my car the inside of the drivers door, the bottom of the dash and the carpet on the driver's side was quite soiled with dirt/grease.(light linen carpet and trim) I called it to my service writer's attention and he immediately addressed the issue. Overall Im pleased with what was repaired but I dont understand why a brand new $85,000 Cadillac was engineered in such a manner that the tires rub the inner fenders. I still wouldnt trade it for world,,,,,I like this car!!!!!!!

hannity
05-26-11, 03:26 PM
UPDATE: I took my car to the dealer for hood trim, inop pass mirror, window moulding, paint chip and driver front rubbing the inner fender.

1. Hood trim took seven days to arrive and be installed, looks great.
2. Replaced motor in pass mirror, works properly.
3. Claimed to have replaced window moulding, I doubt they did and if so it has the exact same problem in the same place. No big deal, will inquire during next visit.
4. Paint chip fixed, very pleased.
5. Driver front wheel, aligned the front end to correct steering wheel, wasnt straight. Was informed that although the truck is stock GM uses an "aftermarket" GM wheel on the Platinum edition Escalade. This particular "aftermarket" GM wheel is wider than a regular Escalade wheel and consequently rubs the inner fender. "We have done all that we can to fix this issue. The "aftermarket" GM Platinum wheels look great, but because they are wider than intended they will rub."

So I seem to be getting the usual run around that most others have been getting. When I picked up my car the inside of the drivers door, the bottom of the dash and the carpet on the driver's side was quite soiled with dirt/grease.(light linen carpet and trim) I called it to my service writer's attention and he immediately addressed the issue. Overall Im pleased with what was repaired but I dont understand why a brand new $85,000 Cadillac was engineered in such a manner that the tires rub the inner fenders. I still wouldnt trade it for world,,,,,I like this car!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to hear what's going on with your truck. Paying a hefty car note and dealing with inadequate quality and a careless service department must be frustrating. I have a platinum as well. I love my truck. It's just the lack of quality I can't stand. Oddly enough amongst the plethora of problems I've had with mine, the wheels rubbing were not an issue for me. Seeing that others have verified that it is, I'm going to take it out this weekend and pay close attention to see if it does it.

I agree that GM should have done a better job in fitting different fender housings to comply with the use of a wider wheel. They knew it would rub I think they just didn't care. I think though they will eliminate this problem in the next generation Escalade.

On a side note you may not have had quality issues with your wheels yet, but they are the same lack-luster quality as the regular Escalade rims, (chipping, pealing,leaking, rust, etc;). If you plan on keeping your truck you should probably invest in a aftermarket set of rims. I say this because I'm a person who is clingy, I like to keep cars for 10 or more years. Driving mostly Japanese cars all my life spoiled me. I lacked common sense by thinking all cars will be that way as long as you take care of them. It pays to learn lol.

The reason I bring this up is because I was in the process of saving up to get out of my truck and into a QX56, but in light of the Fukashima power plant and the nuclear fallout, I'm a bit concerned. I know there is a difference between being exposed to radiation and being exposed to material that has been contaminated with radiation, however given how the U.S. sometimes operates by looking the other way in terms of profit I don't want to take the chance. Besides my wife would literally kill me this time for sure. She was against me buying American and when my 80k Escalade started breaking down I had to hear all the "I told you so's." If I come home with a QX (recently imported) not being fully informed on radiation exposure and the fears of later possible illness. It will only put a strain on my marriage that I do not need.

What I'm trying to say is maybe I will stick with my Escalade and make the best of it. I'll keep an ear out for updates in Japan and also a mindful eye on the Range Rover and Mercedes GL550.

MrHolland
05-26-11, 04:15 PM
I'm sorry to hear what's going on with your truck. Paying a hefty car note and dealing with inadequate quality and a careless service department must be frustrating. I have a platinum as well. I love my truck. It's just the lack of quality I can't stand. Oddly enough amongst the plethora of problems I've had with mine, the wheels rubbing were not an issue for me. Seeing that others have verified that it is, I'm going to take it out this weekend and pay close attention to see if it does it.

I agree that GM should have done a better job in fitting different fender housings to comply with the use of a wider wheel. They knew it would rub I think they just didn't care. I think though they will eliminate this problem in the next generation Escalade.

On a side note you may not have had quality issues with your wheels yet, but they are the same lack-luster quality as the regular Escalade rims, (chipping, pealing,leaking, rust, etc;). If you plan on keeping your truck you should probably invest in a aftermarket set of rims. I say this because I'm a person who is clingy, I like to keep cars for 10 or more years. Driving mostly Japanese cars all my life spoiled me. I lacked common sense by thinking all cars will be that way as long as you take care of them. It pays to learn lol.

The reason I bring this up is because I was in the process of saving up to get out of my truck and into a QX56, but in light of the Fukashima power plant and the nuclear fallout, I'm a bit concerned. I know there is a difference between being exposed to radiation and being exposed to material that has been contaminated with radiation, however given how the U.S. sometimes operates by looking the other way in terms of profit I don't want to take the chance. Besides my wife would literally kill me this time for sure. She was against me buying American and when my 80k Escalade started breaking down I had to hear all the "I told you so's." If I come home with a QX (recently imported) not being fully informed on radiation exposure and the fears of later possible illness. It will only put a strain on my marriage that I do not need.

What I'm trying to say is maybe I will stick with my Escalade and make the best of it. I'll keep an ear out for updates in Japan and also a mindful eye on the Range Rover and Mercedes GL550.

Thank you for your comments sir. I also looked at the 56, the Range and the Benz. I dont know for sure, but I will say its possible that they may have a higher build quality. For me, the look and the amenities/comfort was important. Owning a Cadillac with a sticker in the door jam that says "MADE IN THE USA" is also attractive. I dont plan on owning the car beyond the period of the warranty. I certainly understand the import world, my work/foul weather car is a Honda that has been absolutely perfect. I discovered my rub during a detail session, wiping down inner fenders and noticing the scuff marks. I have done some research concerning the PLT. rims vs. the reg rims and have determined they are the same size, 22X9. I haven't found the specs for the offset but I bet that will also be the same. If so, the line about bigger rims that I was fed is bologna, and I generally try to avoid that stuff. Nonetheless, what I purchased is a well engineered top of the line luxury automobile and I will continue to hold Cadillac accountable until I get what I purchased.

Oh, and who said I was paying a hefty car note?? :thumbsup:

MrHolland
06-07-11, 11:48 PM
Bump for Cadillac Customer Service

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-08-11, 12:59 PM
Mrholland,

I am sorry to hear that you are still experiencing this issue. I would like to look into this for you. Could you please provide me with your VIN and your full contact information?

Thank you

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

MrHolland
07-02-11, 11:11 PM
So I have been dealing with the customer service dept to try to get my front end fixed. After contacting the dealer and speaking with me the customer service rep said "So this rub issue sounds like it only occurs when the wheel is at full locK, this might just be a characteristic of this car". I asked if others have this same issue or am I the lucky one. The rep indicated that he hasnt heard of this before, but it probably has something to do with having large rims. Oddly enough, I dont recall my sales person telling me that the tire will rub the inner fender, he just waived as I drove off and then cashed my check. I have an appt this week to go back to the dealer to have it looked at again. Ill keep everyone posted.

darkknight1999
07-03-11, 02:07 PM
So I have been dealing with the customer service dept to try to get my front end fixed. After contacting the dealer and speaking with me the customer service rep said "So this rub issue sounds like it only occurs when the wheel is at full locK, this might just be a characteristic of this car". I asked if others have this same issue or am I the lucky one. The rep indicated that he hasnt heard of this before, but it probably has something to do with having large rims. Oddly enough, I dont recall my sales person telling me that the tire will rub the inner fender, he just waived as I drove off and then cashed my check. I have an appt this week to go back to the dealer to have it looked at again. Ill keep everyone posted.

This is the kind of thing that pushes customers away... GM is never going to learn. There are so many nice trucks for the same money. Why after all this time they haven't learned that if your going to build a high end car/truck... then try putting the quality into the product you claim to produce. 3 months ago I traded in our Volvo because little things keep breaking and all they did was make excuses. A good example is the tow hook bumper plug fell out a few months after we took delivery... it took about 8 months or so to get a new one.... 8months. Or even better the tires that came on the car from the factory were unsafe and not recommended to drive in the snow... I live in New England... snow kinda goes hand and hand with Boston. Out of 30 tires fit for the V50 it was #27 on the list... almost the worst. Volvo of america said sorry there was nothing they would do. They suggested I take the car to the dealer and have it fitted for snow tires, I priced it out at the dealer..... $1600 bucks. I mean really, the car was less than a year old. So after the lack luster local service dept, who I refused to go back to, and Volvo of Americas lack customer service... I decided to just get rid of the car. So I traded in the POS Volvo for a 2011 VW CC. Such a better car. :)

For me customer service is where its at. I'm a telecom infrastructure engineer (I design the cabling infrastructure for computer networks) and I know if a client has a problem with a design we work together to resolve it as soon as possible. I don't leave my client hanging.

If I find that Cadillac service is lacking, I'm not sure what I will do... I love owning a car made in the greatest country in the world as it makes me proud... but I have a LandRover, MB, Audi and Porsche dealers just as close as my Caddy dealer. ;)

Please let us know how it goes. I'm having Elizabeth look into a few things for me. So hopefully this is a better experience than my experience with Volvo.

srt10viper
07-04-11, 12:19 AM
I too have a 2010 Platinum ESV and it rubs the drivers side fender wheel towards the front of the truck. I never took it in for the service department to look at it. I know it would be a waste of time...

MrHolland
07-04-11, 12:46 AM
I too have a 2010 Platinum ESV and it rubs the drivers side fender wheel towards the front of the truck. I never took it in for the service department to look at it. I know it would be a waste of time...

Yours rubs the front??,,,mine rubs the rear.

MrHolland
07-10-11, 10:44 PM
So I finally was able to take my car back to the dealer to address the "rub" issue. Once the Service Manager discovered that I had been there before for the same issue the atmosphere immediately changed. He read the previous work order, Im also sure he had some indication that I had been speaking with Cadillac Customer Service. He then turned to the Service Writer that I had dealt with and let him have it right in front of me,, talk about awkward...... Approx. 4 hours after I left my car with them the service writer contacted me to let me know my car was ready to be picked up. He said they were able to play with the camber/castor and toe adjustments to reposition the front tires just enough to keep it from rubbing. WOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!! I didnt realize there was that much adjustment in the front end. Nonetheless, it drives great and doesnt rub!!!!! THANK YOU Cadillac Customer Service, although I hope we never speak again...

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-11-11, 03:06 PM
mrholland,

I am very happy to hear that you finally got everything taken care of with your vehicle! If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know!

Thank you,

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

darkknight1999
07-12-11, 10:19 PM
Im glad to hear they were able to fix the issue for you.

On a side note... saying they adjusted all of those is fine, since they are adjustable... but they didn't actually solve the problem... unless your truck came completely misaligned from the factory... which I'm just guessing here is fairly unlikely, and then have to move all of those items that much and put specs that far out of alignment, then of course realignment all the wheels seems a little strange.
They shouldn't have to do to a new truck. It sounds to me like something is still wrong. I would bet that over time this problem comes back.

I have a Honda S2000 that came with 16" wheels and tires from the factory... I put 18's on it and lowered the car about an inch or so... nothing rubs, and I could have a normal factory spec alignment... I don't but I set it up differently on purpose. The fact your truck rubs with FACTORY 22" wheel package screams a bigger hidden problem. Its not like every Escalade with 22" wheels is having a rubbing problem. Its like something is bent and pushing the fender liner into the wheel.

The only way to be sure the alignment is factory spec and not something hinkey... is to bring it to a shop with a laser alignment rack and see if its straight.

I want to be wrong about this... but something tells me based on what happened and that "they were able to play with the camber/castor and toe adjustments to reposition the front tires just enough to keep it from rubbing." None of that stuff should need to be touched for a while short of driving around the Boston streets and hitting every pothole along the way. Just enough to keep it from rubbing says to me your no longer running a true alignment and they have max'd out the alignment specs. Keep a close eye on your $1400 worth of 22" tires. ;)

MrHolland
07-13-11, 12:19 AM
Thank you very much for the insight. I will try to get it in to a shop and have it checked out and post the results. I also hope youre wrong but for some reason doubt you will be. The car was actually driven about 300 miles from one dealer to the one that I purchased it from. I suppose something could have happened on that drive. I know for certain I havent hit anything, besides the car only has 1950 miles on it. Before it was aligned though it still drove well, it simply had a rub and the steering wheel was off a bit. Only time will tell. If my tires wear out prematurely you can bet Ill be at the dealership making all kinds of noise, especially if only one portion wear out such as the inside. Thank you once again.

darkknight1999
07-13-11, 07:36 PM
Not a problem at all... I just reread what I wrote and it came across in a bad tone which was not really intended. I honestly hope I'm wrong.

Just so you don't think I'm being crazy and over thinking this... I'll tell you a short story as to why I think like this now...

Years ago I worked for a Cadillac dealer in Providence, RI. This dealership also happened to be Mazda dealer (Don't ask me why, it makes no sense at all since one was a Ford product and the other a GM) But either way... In the 6-8 months I work there I witnessed this happen twice. Once with a Mazda and the other with a Cadillac Deville.
The Mazda was a pickup truck that had the roof of the truck caved in by the delivery guy. The truck was on the bottom level and he lowered the top section of the car carrier right onto the truck crushing in the roof. We still took delivery of the truck... and they rolled it right into the body shop. 3-4 weeks later it was on the front lot for sale... AS A NEW CAR! You see the truck had never been titled due to it being brand new, therefore there was basically no way for a buyer to know there was ever damage to the truck. You wouldn't know unless someone from the dealership told you. I watched that truck be sold to a buyer and him drive it off the lot, thinking he just got a great deal...

That's when I started to question working at a car dealer.

The second time was a Cadillac Deville. An older gentlemen had his car in for service and while waiting considered trading in his current Deville for a new one. He choose one from the lot the salesmen attached a plate and handed him the keys. (Now mind you this gentlemen had been buying cars here for years and always had his car service there so a lot of the people that work there knew him by his first name.) No one questioned handing him the keys to a new Deville. Well 3 hours or so later the service dept called to let him know the car was ready and he could pick it up. Well about 1hr or so later the new Deville returned........ on a flatbed truck having had the front end smashed........ (I have a picture of it somewhere). Well they backed that car up to the body shop and pushed it into the shop. 6 weeks later it was on the front lot for sale.... again as a NEW car. The car looked like it was perfect and you would never know it had been in a pretty good wreck. After they sold that car and didn't tell the new buyer what had happened I decided I couldn't work for such a place and left.

I have stories that could go on for hours about the shady things they would do... After seeing all that, and then Caddy being sold like that... it was the last straw for me.

Since then I have purchased new used cars and Im a total pain in the neck to deal with.

Just please have your truck check out by some other local trustworthy repair shop. Someone that wont care what Cadillac thinks and just wants you to be happy and safe with your new $80000 truck. ;) Its worth the $200 bucks to have it checked out.

Either way good luck with it and please keep us posted.

Oh and I understand that not every car dealer is this shady... but I'm sure the honest non-shady dealerships are far a fewer between than we would like.

MrHolland
07-14-11, 12:48 AM
I completely understand your what youre saying. Its sad too, but Im not a bit surprised by the stories you tell. My first thought when I was told what was adjusted was "theres no way they got that much adjustment out of the front end." This is the second time it went in for this, which leads me to believe they did nothing about it the first time and possibly charged Cadillac for a warranty alignment. When I picked it up this time it had 25 miles on it, I imagine they were running it up and down the road trying to get it right. And yes, I hope we're both wrong and the car is perfect. I love my car and Im not giving it back. Ill keep everyone posted. With my schedule it may be a little bit to get this worked out. Thank you once again for your words.

pompousass
08-31-11, 03:32 PM
I have an 07 Escalade with the standard 22" wheels and the left front tire rubs. So I don't think it is specific to the Platinum. It has been a problem for four model years so obviously Cadillac doesn't care.