: '01 DTS oil & filter question

plisken
10-10-04, 11:35 PM
I have an '01 DTS, which I typically take to my local dealership for all servicing. In the essence of time I am considering taking it to a "quick lube" outlet but wanted to know what OEM oil and filter my caddy uses. I know that the oil cap says 5W 30 but my dealer puts 10W 30 in it. I was also thinking about switching to Mobil 1 synthetic and wanted to get some opinions first. My caddy has 67K miles on it. What brand oil and filter is the OEM of choice? Thanks!

JohnnyO
10-11-04, 08:16 AM
OE filter is an AC PF-61. You don't neeeeed synthetic, but if you want something a little better then by all means go with Mobil 1. I use it in everything. 10w-30 won't hurt it but if it gets cold where you live then I would use 5w. 5w-30 Mobil 1 is one of the toughest oils out there. Also the Mobil 1 filter is probably the best out there but it is a true PITA to get on a Cadillac because there is more than one set of threads cut into it and you've got to hit them just right. I went back to AC's. K&N, NAPA Gold, and Purolator PureONE are also very good filters. If it's me, I use AC's and Mobil 1 5w-30. I'm a nutjob who sends his used oil to a lab to get analyzed. :bouncy:

mastertech
10-12-04, 12:15 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself!

desilpj
12-08-04, 11:43 AM
I too use the A/C filter with Mobil 1 5W 30W wtih the '01. No problems. The only issue I have is that I still add a quart every 1,000 miles. This is the same no matter what oil you use. The cost of course is more with Mobil 1.

hvymtlc5
12-08-04, 12:48 PM
I run 5 w 30 Mobil 1 in my 2002. Only drawback is at 7-8 quarts and a good filter it is relatively expensive.........compared to dino.

BeelzeBob
12-09-04, 11:23 PM
Read your owners manual.... 5W30 oil is the correct oil for that model year Northstar engine. Synthetic oil is not recommended nor required. The OEM filter is the AC Delco. Since the oil filter is critical to catch the break-in debris I would suggest that if the AC Delco filter is good enough for the OEM installation on the engine it is probably good enough once the engine is in the field.

Use a good quality conventional 5W30 oil and an AC Delco filter. Take one with you to the quickie oil change place if they don't carry them. BYOF.

The best advice that everyone missed is to follow the oil life monitor for the correct oil change interval. It is the only truely accurate way of knowing when to change your oil as it takes into account all the factors that "age" oil AND it takes into account your specific driving schedule and habits...something that no simple mileage or hours based change interval can do.

Exercise the engine frequently and the oil economy will improve.....

BTW....there is often a side benefit to taking your car in to the dealer for simple oil changes. Besides letting you get to know the folks there and figure out their care and capability it will make you a "familiar face" if you do have a problem with the car. Too many people take the low buck approach to maintenance and simple repairs and then expect the dealer service department to be their best friend when they do have a problem that only the dealer can handle. Not as likely if it is the first time that they have ever seen you. There is something to be said for being a familiar face to the service department for normal maintenance. Besides, if they maintain the car then they cannot use the excuse of "poor maintenance" on you....LOL.