: GM DVD Navigation Update Program

KRSTS
05-08-11, 02:05 PM
:beavis:A little lengthy but worth the read if you have NAV
While mucking around with my newly aquired abilty to acess the GM Service database I found the following SB that may be of interest:

06-08-44-012C: DVD Navigation Update Program, AVN Software Update Discs and Ordering Information - (Sep 18, 2008)

Subject: DVD Navigation Update Program, AVN Software Update Discs and Ordering Information
Models: 2006-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)

2006-2009 HUMMER H2, H3
2006-2009 Saab 9-7X

Attention: Please direct this information to your Sales Consultants, Service Consultants, Parts Personnel and Used Car Department.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2009 model year and information under Navigation Disc Update Program Details. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-44-012B (Section 08 - Body & Accessories).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
DVD Navigation Update Program
To improve customer satisfaction with factory-installed DVD Navigation Systems, General Motors offers a Navigation Disc Update Program for 2006 and 2007 model year vehicles. Offering GM customers new navigation DVDs will ensure that the customers have the latest information for their system. The data on the DVD map disc ages at a rate of 15-20% per year. As the data ages, the functionality of the navigation system declines. All navigation systems utilize the DVD disc for map and points of interest data.

The DVD Navigation Update Program policy has changed starting with the 2008 model year. 2008 and 2009 model year vehicles are NOT eligible for free annual updates; however, a navigation DVD update disc can be purchased for $199 (USD) + shipping.

Navigation Disc Update Program Details:
All 2006-2007 model year customers who purchase or lease GM vehicles (excluding Saab) with a factory-installed navigation system are eligible to receive two free annual updates.
- Owners will be contacted annually, on or about the anniversary of their vehicle delivery date.
- Owners must indicate that they want an update via a toll free number, or through the web.
- Owners will be contacted the second time at the second anniversary date of their delivery.
2008 and 2009 model year vehicles (2006-2009 Saab 9-7X) are NOT eligible for free annual updates. 2008 and 2009 model year customers may purchase a DVD map update for $199 (USD) + shipping. The DVD map updates are available annually at the beginning of the new model year.
Certified used vehicle customers (CUV and CPO) will no longer receive one free update. Discontinuation of free discs for certified used vehicles was announced in earlier dealer messages from the CUV and CPO teams.
Navigation discs will no longer be available through GMSPO.
- Dealers will be able to order a replacement DVD through the web or by contacting the GM Navigation Disc Center in the event a replacement DVD is required under warranty (for Saab, this applies to the 9-5 and 9-7X models).
- Owners of 2005 model year and prior vehicles can order an update or replacement via the web or toll free number at market price.
The GM Navigation Disc Center launched on March 15, 2006. There are two ways to obtain an updated disc.

- Via the web through gmnavdisc.com

- GM Navigation Disc Center 1-877-628-3472

- The GM Navigation Disc Center is also the center of expertise for navigation system questions.

AVN Software Update Discs
Technical Service Bulletins are sometimes generated to address specific navigation radio operational or performance issues. When a navigation radio bulletin is issued, it may contain instructions to utilize an advanced vehicle navigation (AVN) software update with a specific part number. GM dealers must order advanced vehicle navigation (AVN) software update discs from the GM Navigation Disc Center. These discs will no longer be available from GMSPO.

AVN software update discs are for the dealer to update the navigation radio software only. They do NOT update or replace the navigation map disc that is supplied with the vehicle. Please order these parts only as needed. There is a limited supply of these discs available. Do not order these discs for stock. AVN software update discs can be used to reprogram more than one vehicle. The first update disc for each P/N is free. Subsequent copies of the same P/N for the same dealer will cost $50 (USD).

To obtain an AVN software update disc, contact the GM Navigation Disc Center at 1-877-628-3472:gg:

EChas3
05-08-11, 08:54 PM
Thanks for posting but this info was released 30 months ago. If 2006 & 2007 owners can prove they didn't get their free upgrade, it MAY be possible to convince GM to send a year-old disk set. New ones are still $199. Call GM Navigation Disc Center 1-877-628-3472 and be ready to provide your VIN.

You may need to ask for a supervisor because the program officially ended 18 months ago.

RippyPartsDept
05-08-11, 09:30 PM
there are two lengthy threads regarding these free updates... one is titled Free 2011 Nav Disc or something like that...

basically if you call up the nav disc center now you will more than likely be told that this was a promotion that only lasted a few years and i no longer available... sorry

some people have had good luck over the phone, but most get the above answer (some people will call back multiple times and eventually get an agent that will honor the free update disc)

others who have emailed in have got their new disc in the mail on the first try

i'm not sure how many people with 2006 vehicles are still able to get this update as that promotion is a year older and a year longer since it ended

the promotion was for one free disc for two years so the 2006 vehicles had their promotion end with the 2008 (or maybe 2009) disc

either way, if you have a 2006 or a 2007 you should at least try... there's nothing to lose and a free nav disc to gain

Frikiton
05-09-11, 06:56 AM
im going to try this thanks

Relate27
09-08-11, 03:52 PM
I just purcahed a 2007 STS and there had been no Navigation disc upgrades ordered for the car, the reason I know is because the car has an 06 disc. After reading these forums I decided what the hell and gave the GM Navigation Disc Center a call at 1-877-628-3472 last night. I spoke with a rep by the name of David and he asked me a lot of questions did I buy the car new, I told him no. I gave him the last 8 of the vin and he tried to reach some department to get me the free discs. That department was closed so David took my phone number and actually called me this afternoon. I spoke to someone else and they put me on hold for a few minutes and gave me the free disc. The lady told me the free program had ended but they would give me 1 set of 2011 discs for free. I just got the GM confirmation in my email. Thanks forums for saving me $200 bucks !

mj-cadillac
02-03-16, 07:36 PM
to cut a long story short. IT worked. I purchased a 2006 STS fall of 2015 and there was no Navigation unit . I upgraded with a 2006 sts navi oem unit for the car and installed it. However there was no disc in the unit. i scoured these forums and located this info. I called the GM Navigation Disc Center 877-628-3472. I spoke to a rep who said the program was discontinued and i can call gm service center for CADILLAC 800-458-8006, the automated system asked for my phone number and hung up on me twice after entering it. I followed the cadillac forum user's RippyPartsDept suggestion and called back, I spoke to someone else and advised i was told to ask for a sup and as long as there is confirmation that i didnt receive the disc I can get a navi disc. The rep asked for the vin and my name address and phone number stating he will escalate for approval and i will be mailed the disc. Thank you to all in this forum I saved $199 new and $79 ebay. Much OBLIGED. m.j

ddalder
02-03-16, 07:46 PM
So... have you received it yet? I bet they asked for the VIN, partly to be sure the car is eligible. If they check and find the car never came with the factory installed navigation system I'm willing to bet they tell you that you are not eligible.

EChas3
02-03-16, 10:17 PM
The 2006 & 7 cars included 2 upgrades. Many first-time STS owners of used cars were able to claim one. It's nice to hear it is still possible.

There is a lesson here (of sorts). It never hurts to try... and try again. Getting angry usually won't help. Being nice often does.

07blackSTS
02-04-16, 06:02 PM
I got mine for free, too. It was initially the 2013 version. I asked if the 2016 came out shortly after, if I could get that one to replace the 2013 they were sending. They said if it's released within 30 days of this order, we'll upgrade it for free. Two weeks after receiving the 2013 disc, they released the 2016. Sent the old one back, got the new in the mail yesterday. I've been driving around with the nav screen on at all times just for the heck of it. :)

I know everyone's saying that there is no update to the GUI, but the roads (and other graphics) look a little different to me than the previous version. Maybe it's just me. I noticed that they have the ICC (long, newish toll road around Maryland) now, which obviously was not on the older version. It was nice to have that included in my route options now.

alfabitta
03-20-16, 03:54 AM
there is anyone that have a copy of this dvd ? In italy there are only 5 dealer and nobody of these know this upgrade.possible to send this program with web ? I pay dvd and shipping cost if required

3redlines
03-20-16, 01:09 PM
see post #33 http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/658050-update-navigation-3.html

Maximln
03-20-16, 05:37 PM
I bought my 06 STS new in 06 & received documentation about the 2 free annual Nav updates. I think it was even on the window sticker. For the next 2 years, I received the new updated discs in the mail & subsequently purchased the upgrades after that. I wonder why someone would not use their updates when they purchased their vehicle? Maybe they didn't keep it long enough?

Max

EChas3
03-20-16, 10:02 PM
The Nav Disk site has provided an update to some new owners. They do track VIN's, but 'in the day' they did honor the promise.

alfabitta
03-21-16, 03:30 AM
see post #33 http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/658050-update-navigation-3.html

thanks thanks and more thanks . You saved me . But now i've another question .
Correct me if I wrong . Now the next steps are :
opening folder that i downloaded
In the folder there are 2 files (dvd 1 and dvd2)
1) create a dvd 1 with file of dvd1
2) create a dvd 2 with file of dvd 2
3) insert dvd 1 in my navigation system
4) Insert dvd 2 in my navigation system
After this software upgrade is completed .
It's correct ? I do not want to make damage at my navigation system and i want to be sure of procedure

3redlines
03-21-16, 12:18 PM
Personally I do not know the correct procedure, I have not tried it. You may want to contact the author Ludacrisvp.

I'd be interested to know how it turns out, good luck

alfabitta
03-21-16, 01:25 PM
me too think that not is correct procedure. i read more and more forum pages and i think, unfortunately, than tech 2 is necessary. problem of my nav is only that not read latest map upgrade. No. true is that i've insert map upgrade and worked fine for one week , after worked once each ten , and finally never worked with message " dvd inserted not is a dvd map "

Ludacrisvp
03-21-16, 04:59 PM
You must use the tech 2 in order to install the update.

If you have MRC and the buttons to control ride quality are on the main screen after pressing config then you are already updated.

EChas3
03-21-16, 08:21 PM
There's a thread with the procedure to read your car's firmware level. The posts above are spot on.

EWill3rd (master caddy tech) posted the upgrade procedure & DTC for reference.

Maximln
03-22-16, 02:33 PM
Did the 08 STS's also need to be updated or were they updated from the beginning?

Max

Ludacrisvp
03-22-16, 02:47 PM
Did the 08 STS's also need to be updated or were they updated from the beginning?

Max

They were already updated. The update was introduced during manufacturing of the 07 model year. So all 08+ are updated.

alfabitta
03-22-16, 07:09 PM
ok, i burned 2 cd for update . I burned at minimum speed of 4x . next step . Iwant purchase this :

http://www.ebay.it/itm/311094281398?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I want this for checking my stability system that has frequently error message . If this it allow me start nav upgrade ok . if not allow me i don't

----------

tech 2 from china cost about 250 $ + custom tax 50 $ .It's too expensive for me

EChas3
03-22-16, 09:06 PM
You need a Tech II with Canbus option. OEM used ~ $1,500. Chinese clones can be had for a lot less, but you take a chance. Experience teaches us all that quite often, you get what you pay for.

alfabitta
03-24-16, 08:03 AM
it's right . I don't want a chinese clone . I purchased icarsoft i900 . When arrive i try if is possible to enable launch software update. If not is possible , last chance for me is only dealer of italy that has technical know-how for made this . I sent a mail at dealer for request if you can make this upgrade . Your response was that he can , but not have cd for upgrade. Now i sent a new message and say that i have this cd . Needed only tech2 . I'm waiting response

EChas3
03-24-16, 09:14 PM
At least GM dealer will have a TechII. See Ewill3rd's post for the whole procedure.

alfabitta
04-01-16, 05:51 PM
good news , i contacted cadillac dealer and says that no have cd for upgrade. I say that i have cd for upgrade and i sent a copy of bulletin for navi upgrade procedure. I awaiting response if is possible to make this job .

alfabitta
04-06-16, 02:42 AM
You must use the tech 2 in order to install the update.

If you have MRC and the buttons to control ride quality are on the main screen after pressing config then you are already updated.

one moment please , if you say this , i say that i've the mrc button on main menu when i press the configuration button . My nav was upgraded? . I don't think . because there are original maps of year 2005 . The dealer says that probably upgrade not is possible because my sts is european version . now i want make this : dealer is located about 150 km distance of me , i won't make a useless journey, Can i try 2 cd software upgrade and if software upgrade is loaded i go to dealer for use tech2 for starting upgrade initializing ?

ddalder
04-06-16, 03:28 AM
me too think that not is correct procedure. i read more and more forum pages and i think, unfortunately, than tech 2 is necessary. problem of my nav is only that not read latest map upgrade. No. true is that i've insert map upgrade and worked fine for one week , after worked once each ten , and finally never worked with message " dvd inserted not is a dvd map "
Where did you get the map update you used that worked for one week and then stopped? This seems very odd to me, almost like you problem is something else.

Also, the fact that you have old maps does not necessarily mean that you do not have the upgrade. The upgrade allows you to use the newer DVD's but I don't believe it makes the old map discs unreadable.

As for the Tech2, you need to have this in order to start the procedure. This isn't a case of being able to install the discs first and finish later once there is a scan tool available.

alfabitta
04-06-16, 07:34 AM
i purchased a maps upgrade for saab 9-5 2012 version. for a few weeks dvd worked fine , now my nav working fine only with original maps version 2005 .
I decided . when is possible i use a cd software upgrade , if upgrading is ok i go to my dealer . It's crazy that i go to my dealer for discover that cd for upgrade not work in my nav . I booked 14 April at my dealer

ddalder
04-06-16, 03:07 PM
The problem is you're taking a chance. The earlier Saab 9-5 discs were shared between the STS and 9-5, but my bet is that they are no longer fully compatible and that is at least some of your problem. You may be no further ahead spending money to visit the dealer.

BJBarnes
04-06-16, 09:00 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the 2006 Cadillac STS Navigation System manual. I did not have one in my 06 STS when I bought it. If anyone has a copy they would like to get rid of, please let me know. I don't want to download a PFD file, too much to try and fold to keep in the car. Thank you very much.

ddalder
04-06-16, 09:03 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the 2006 Cadillac STS Navigation System manual. I did not have one in my 06 STS when I bought it. If anyone has a copy they would like to get rid of, please let me know. I don't want to download a PFD file, too much to try and fold to keep in the car. Thank you very much.
You can order one through www.helminc.com for $20 plus whatever tax and shipping is. They have them in stock.

EChas3
04-06-16, 09:34 PM
Why not download it to your phone, etc... It's just reference.

alfabitta
04-12-16, 10:38 AM
i've tried cd software upgrade , but not worked . when i insert cd 1 display show this message " This dvd not is a maps dvd " . When i insert cd 2 after a few seconds , it appears full loading bar in japanese language . For 1 second only and after it appears the message dvd not is a maps dvd. I think that my nav was upgraded from last owner because i've the mrc button on main menu. I've saved a useless journey

BJBarnes
04-12-16, 06:26 PM
Thanks, I found one for $7.00 and it's on the way.

BJBarnes
05-24-16, 11:50 AM
For Sale I have two disc and don't need one of them. 2016 Navigation Data Disc United States/ Canada

$107

GM - NORTH AMERICA MAP UPDATE - V.2016

Part number 23286274

Get accurate directions to wherever you travel including new roads, new sub-divisions, and current addresses. New and expanded coverage in hundreds of cities, counties and metropolitan areas across North America. You can confidently drive through unfamiliar or recently changed areas. This latest edition provides updated Points of Interest to help you find the way to where you want to go quickly and efficiently.
Attention Model Year 2005-07 Cadillac STS owners with vehicles built before December 2006: This map update is compatible with your navigation system. However, before this disc can be installed, your vehicle may require a software update. Please contact your local dealer to determine if this software update is required for your vehicle and if need be, to have them perform the update
This navigation map update is compatible with the following GM vehicles:
2005-2011 Cadillac STS Note: These vehicles may require a software update.

2005-2013 Chevrolet Corvette
2005-2009 Pontiac Grand Prix
2007-2009 Saab 9-5

Vraatzii
05-24-16, 07:44 PM
did you sell your extra disk yet ? if not I'm interested