: Loose bolt under plastic engine cover?

muohio
05-08-11, 11:08 AM
Under one of the plastic engine cover pieces that is on the right side of the car was taped a bolt. Does anyone know what it is there for? I'm asking because the cover was not snapped down all the way and when I went to readjust it, the bolt came untaped and fell into the engine bay.

baabootoo
05-08-11, 01:51 PM
No, no loose bolt here.

JFJr
05-08-11, 02:52 PM
That's scary! I would head for the dealership service department ASAP.

Jud
(Sent from my iPhone 4)

tabio42
05-08-11, 09:02 PM
What kind of bolt?

cbloveday
05-08-11, 11:15 PM
got a pic of the area the bolt came from?

muohio
05-09-11, 08:03 AM
I will try to take one later today.

CTSV4now
05-09-11, 08:43 AM
Isn't that where they tape the bag with the door plate hardware?

Silver -V-
05-09-11, 11:17 AM
It could be one of the hold down screws for the air filter cover. I would be a torx style screw, and can be replaced fairly easily. More than likely, it will work it's way down to the plastic under body panel covers and can be worked out with your fingers in a day or so of driving.

muohio
05-09-11, 06:23 PM
The panel where the bolt was taped is on the left. The bolt itself was threaded on one end and the other looked like a round ball. Almost like a stud for something to click on to.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/muohio/IMAG0011.jpg

The bolt was similar to this, but longer.

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00oCiQTjwPfSqb/Ball-Stud-Gas-Strut-Screw-Fitting.jpg

cbloveday
05-09-11, 07:06 PM
That bolt looks like one that holds either the center cover or the one on the passengers side.

Turn the center engine cover upside down and you will see rubber suction type pieces the accept the head of that bolt.

You will also find this for the passenger side dress up cover and the small one in the middle (behind the Supercharger).

If it is missing a bolt, you should see the suction type rubber but no bolt immediately underneath to attach it to, just a hole for the bolt.

Does that help?