: Seriously need help with wash/wax/bug removal

jrcmlc
05-07-11, 12:59 PM
:banghead:Let me start off by saying that we have no good car washes here, no good detailing shops, we're out just past BFE on the left.

I have a black 2011 CTSV sedan with 3m film over much of the prone areas. Not only can I not seem to be able to get the film clean of bugs without making light swirl marks or spider webs in it, I haven't even considered waxing the rest of the car as it will look similar.

Seriously, I need either a detailed (for dummies) step by step guide on how NOT to eff this car's paint (and 3m film) up, or I need someone in the general vicinity to do it for me.

I suspect that if it had a good cleaning and a few good coats of zaino or something on it, it would be much easier for us to clean, but as of righ now I'm afraid to touch it.

I'm 1 hour north of St. Louis if anyone wants to make some $ cleaning/waxing/etc.

Joe

nynd
05-07-11, 01:33 PM
For the clear bra, you can try isopropryl Alcohol mixed in a 50/50 with water in a spray bottle and with a microfiber, gently rub the bug residue out. For the rest of the car, you need to wash it throughly (use a double bucket method if you have to where you've got holes in the first bucket to allow all dirt and debris to settle in the lower bucket) and then once completely washed move into a cooler garage where you can dry it with a chamois. Get all the door jambs etc. If you have access to a polisher, you could polish it or by hand use cleaner/clay and polish to get out the surface contamination/swirl marks and then give it a nice wax job.

baabootoo
05-07-11, 01:57 PM
Have you tried the plastic mesh sponges made just for bugs? Some of the better ones guarentee success or money back.

jrcmlc
05-07-11, 03:09 PM
I've not tried the plastic sponges, and I'm basically afraid to try anything for fear of putting more light scratches on the 3m. They can guarantee success all day long but do they pay for my paint if it scratches the crap out of it?

I think I'm just going to have to find someone who wants to clean it and zaino it for me.

Joe

EVIL_C5
05-07-11, 08:55 PM
Einszett make a bug pre spray that does nice. I'm sure its clear bra safe since they recommend it for bimmers and benz's in Germany.

Soak it with soap and warm water too, that should yield good results. A very fine clay bar can also get the stubborn chunks off. Plexus after, and some sort of sealer. I have had good results with optimum opti seal on my cars in the last few years. Zaino is also quality.

jrcmlc
05-08-11, 01:27 AM
I have no idea what to do with a clay bar other than mold it into a little figurine.

Joe

EVIL_C5
05-08-11, 06:38 AM
Auto geek has tons of videos in YouTube.

Domsz06
05-08-11, 07:45 AM
I have no idea what to do with a clay bar other than mold it into a little figurine.

Joe

i did the zaino process on my z06 and it's still looks amazing 5 years later.

Also I don't use chamois I use a leaf blower to blow dry my cars. helps keep the swirl marks out.

http://www.zainostore.com/ read that if you have any questions. It's what I have used on my nice cars and they look great.

Sean

neuronbob
05-08-11, 07:59 AM
Zaino +1 and I knew nothing about detailing cars before using it.

musclesbmf
05-08-11, 09:04 AM
Check out DetailKing.com, griots.com, or autogeek.com
Great info and great products.

Mark

yacht lights
05-08-11, 09:08 AM
There a cleaner for the film from 3m. I used to use it on my M6 worked greta and took care of the marks.

NROTIK
05-08-11, 09:42 AM
If you pay my airfare I can come teach you how to take care of your car.. These V's have the worse paint durability of any other car I've owned.. I thought the corvette c5 was bad.. This car is worse..

jrcmlc
05-08-11, 09:57 AM
The paint fragility and the fact that it's black are the reasons I'm so worried about it. I've heard nothing but good about Zaino so perhaps I'll check that out.

Thanks,

Joe

PhxTriode
05-08-11, 10:37 AM
I've not tried the plastic sponges, and I'm basically afraid to try anything for fear of putting more light scratches on the 3m. They can guarantee success all day long but do they pay for my paint if it scratches the crap out of it?

I think I'm just going to have to find someone who wants to clean it and zaino it for me.

Joe

I have the 3M and I used griots machine polish 3 with their 6" RO on it after clay bar and it worked awesome. the best of show wax works well but do not let it set on the 3M for too long after it drys or it will stain the film. Their spray wax works better for the 3M.

I use the full line of Griots and love it. I never have used the other mentioned products but if it is broke...

jrcmlc
05-08-11, 10:42 AM
Heard good things about groits also.

Not only do I not know how, and am afraid to, nor do I have time, but also I just plain don't want to spend a whole day washing a car and having to be super-careful about every little thing I do. Not my thing.

Joe

PhxTriode
05-08-11, 12:02 PM
Heard good things about groits also.

Not only do I not know how, and am afraid to, nor do I have time, but also I just plain don't want to spend a whole day washing a car and having to be super-careful about every little thing I do. Not my thing.

Joe

I hear ya, little did I know after spending an embarrassing amount of money and all the excitement using professional products, just how much time it takes to do it right.

But the results are amazing!

The upside is after you do it basic hand wash's and a speed shine (detailer) and your good to go. So twice a year I do a full polish and wax. I live in brutal heat and if not I could get away with one a year.

dvandentop
05-08-11, 12:10 PM
used dryer sheets with just detailer works awesome to get the bugs off

jrcmlc
05-08-11, 12:15 PM
I may try the dryer sheet trick. You ever going to get us the Borla sound clip? :-)

Joe

dvandentop
05-08-11, 12:29 PM
LOL maybe if it gets nice out later this afternoon i can make one

jrcmlc
05-08-11, 12:30 PM
Not to stray off the topic of me being too lazy to learn to do my own wax/polish. :-)

Joe

jrcmlc
05-09-11, 01:26 AM
No takers on the wash/wax/polish, eh? :)

cdog533
05-09-11, 02:55 PM
It does take a lot of effort and time to keep things looking right. But I don't think you need to spend a whole day doing it, maybe a couple of hours!

Get a good quality microfiber wash mit, some decent quality auto soap. Spray the car with water, then wash with the two-bucket method, as mentioned. Dry with good quality drying towels, trying to blot it more than wipe it. If there are still bugs on your film, I would recommend Harley Davidson Bug Remover (http://www.baersportcenterinc.com/Harley-Davidson-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-BUG-REMOVER-detail.htm?productId=10413439) you can get it an any HD dealership... It is not harsh in any way it really does get bugs off good.

You can apply a good quality polymer wax (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G12718) like Meguiars NXT and then remove that. All of that stuff you can get at your local auto parts store.

Finish with a detail spray. I like Captain Richard's best or VooDoo or Blackfire (http://www.topoftheline.com/blackfire-deep-gloss-sealant.html), but you need to order those unless you have a really great local store.

The Zaino stuff is good but takes like 15 hours and you don't want that, so the method I outlined above will get you 90% there in a simply fashion. If you really get ambitious, throw a coat of carnuba wax OVER the NXT polymer.

jrcmlc
05-09-11, 09:50 PM
I appreciate you explaining the potentially easier way, but I think I've made up my mind, I'm going to find someone (don't know who yet) and pay them to really put the zaino on it, hopefully that will work out well and will make it easier to clean in the future.

Joe

Trapspeed
05-12-11, 05:28 PM
Taking care of black is an "obesession", not a chore unfortunately. If you have any amount of OCD (like me :thumbsup:) it's even more hectic. I am a long time user and proponent of the Zaino line. Great stuff and easy to use. Nothing but Z5 on black for me. You can use Z2 if you want but Z5 is designed to hide swirls...and it does. I wash the car in the garage. My black 300C was never washed outside. Keep it out of the sun and you wont have to battle water spotting. The two bucket method or one good one that keeps the grit out of the water is fine, too. Drying the car....nothing touches it. I use the blower method, too. Anything that keeps material from touching the paint is ideal. After drying as much water as off as possible the last step is using the Z6 detail spray over the entire car to keep the spots off. It is an involved process but you'll be happy with the outcome. I just picked up a black '09 V last Monday and I can't wait to clean it up. :cool2:

jrcmlc
05-12-11, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I don't have it in me. I'm going to find someone to do it for me and that'll be that.

Joe