: Stereo questions

Andy@A&ACorvette
05-07-11, 12:33 AM
The stereo is pretty good in these cars but not great.
'My wife has a BMW X5 and her stereo sounds awsome.
I spent a lot of money on my Z06 and Trailblazer SS stereos and I still think hers is nicer, although not as loud.
Has anyone found a way to improve the system. Maybe a different subwoofer or something? Obviously I'm not about to take out the actual head unit.
Another question. When you receive a phone call, does the CD and or Ipod pause or just mute.
I listen to these murder mystery type audio books a lot and it drives me nuts when I get a call and I lose my place.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these things.

digital1021
05-07-11, 01:08 AM
It should pause your music when listening to CD's or from the HD, I am not sure as to the iPod though. I don't have an iPod, only and iPhone, which would obviously pause the music for the call anyway.

As for the sound quality, other than the fact that everyone has different opinions about what sounds best, don't base your opinions on the stereo based off of FM or XM. Some people have complained about the quality of the stereo before, basing their opinions solely on the FM/XM quality. For some reason the FM and XM tuners are not the best sounding. The system does best with Commercial CD's and DVD-Audio, and is a dramatic improvement in quality over the car's tuner. Additionally, when listening to MP3's the system is accurate enough to hear artifacts in lower quality encodings (128-256kbps non-VBR). I have found, for other than spoken word or similar programs, 320Kbps (with or without VBR) to be acceptable for most listening. Also, though I don't remember seeing it mentioned in the manual, the system will play AAC files that are not protected by DRM. If you have a favorite CD, I highly recommend listening to it over the stereo at about 3/4 volume, with the EQ set flat (Bass=0, Mid=0, Treble=0) and DSP set to Normal. This should give you an idea what the system is really capable of, that way you can tweak from there and decide if the stereo needs to be altered to suit your tastes.

Hope this might bring some insight and help with your question. I haven't heard the stereo in the X5's, so I can't comment on the comparison. Enjoy the car.

~ Matt

JFJr
05-07-11, 10:45 AM
Yes, the sound quality of most XM stations is pretty average, but 66 (smooth jazz) seems to have better quality. The best sounds come from the engine!

Jud

lawfive
05-07-11, 05:27 PM
Definitely does not pause my iPod when I call out or when a call comes in. I have to remember to manually pause if I'm in the midst of a book or a podcast.

JimmyH
05-07-11, 06:33 PM
When I had my CTS, I used a thumb drive in the usb port, and the song was paused when on the phone.

EVIL_C5
05-07-11, 09:13 PM
I'm very pleased with the Bose in both of my 2010 cadillac's. I used the USB to copy a bunch to the hdd. The xm sound quaility is better with the factory units than the aftermarket. My pioneer in my last 2 cars sound quality was just bad.

I use my iPhone allot also and it interfaces better in my escalade than the v but it's still a nice connection except for the 3 inch pigtail p,ug for it.