: P0717/p056 transmission input speed sensor fix!!

dto
05-06-11, 04:39 PM
I'm an automotive service technician and I own a 1995 Cadillac STS. I too, had the P056 code come up. I could replace the sensor myself, but i really don't want to spend 10+ hours trying to replace the sensor.

After browsing the forums, I stumbled upon this thread, where someone had made a small signal amplifier.

I decided to build the exact same device. (photo attached)

When the vehicle was cold, the sensor worked fine. Go in to diagnostics and view PD72. When the vehicle temperature rose, the data disappeared and a DTC would appear.

I connected the signal amplifier and now it works great. Data is present, when the vehicle is cold and when warm. A big thanks to 'magnum51' where ever he may be.

dto
05-13-11, 03:37 AM
Materials Needed:

1 x LM741 Operation Amplifier
2 x 4 AA battery holders
1 x 1k ohm resistor
1 x 100k ohm resistor
1 x printed circuit board

miscellaneous materials:

- wire
- connectors
- soldering iron and solder

The items mentioned literally cost me less then $40 to purchase and i've no past experience with electronics.

I've provided a schematic and several images to aid, if anyone is interested in building one themselves.

Rckjaws10
05-24-11, 01:04 AM
This is very interesting.. I too have the P0717 in my 96 Deville.. Do you have anymore detailed information on how to build, and hook up this device? thanks a lot

dto
05-24-11, 07:42 PM
Use the diagrams i've provided. Or I could build it for you, for which i will charge.

Extortion00
08-15-11, 04:31 AM
how long did it take you to build this?

Submariner409
08-15-11, 09:29 AM
how long did it take you to build this?

Once you collect the parts from Radio Shack or an online electronics parts house the build should take a half hour. BUT, practice doing small solder joints FIRST.

Chino214
08-21-11, 10:48 PM
does anyone have actual pictures of how to actually connect it? i see there's schematics but would like to see actual photo's on how to. Thanks.

Submariner409
08-22-11, 11:05 AM
does anyone have actual pictures of how to actually connect it? i see there's schematics but would like to see actual photo's on how to. Thanks.

Post #1 & #2. The only thing you would see on the underside of the pre-printed PCB is solder dots.

Extortion00
08-27-11, 12:58 PM
does this also work on code p0717??

Johnny8519
08-31-11, 04:14 PM
I have the Code P0717. My situation seems to be totally differnt the all of the ones I see posted here. The Service engine light as well as the service transmission. comes right away as soon as I start the car. It doesnt seem to ever go out, hot or cold. When I clear the code it goes out. It wil stay out until I drive about 75 ft. Can the Signal Amp fix my problem? I did find some similar things. There was a alot of tranny fluid inside the connector. I cleaned it. Did not help.

dto
10-12-11, 03:18 AM
It's still working like a charm.

rolexcomm
10-13-11, 07:37 PM
quick question, is this device supposed to tap into the red/black wire leaving it intact or is it supposed to go in between the sensor and pcm by cutting said wire??? also is there any situation in which this device wouldn't work??

Atrayyu
11-14-11, 07:01 PM
Hey all,

made an account so I could post, been following for a while though.

Couldn't you substitute a a 12v source from the car instead of using 8 "AA" batteries?

then you wouldn't have to worry about the batteries going bad right?

I am about to make one of these for a friends car, because I really don't want to go through the hassle of dropping the motor/tranny down to fix it for him.

Atrayyu
11-14-11, 07:08 PM
quick question, is this device supposed to tap into the red/black wire leaving it intact or is it supposed to go in between the sensor and pcm by cutting said wire??? also is there any situation in which this device wouldn't work??

from dissecting the diagram.... you have to cut the wire, and place the device "in line", can't just tap into the wire and run it in "parallel", must be ran in "series"

I have not made one yet, but that's just the operation of any signal amplifier... hope it helps.

jmcl40
12-11-11, 01:28 AM
Did you build the amp and if so did it work for code p0717 ? I have same problem code at all times but have run car for several thousand miles with no apparent transmission problem.
Thanks

sallc5
01-29-12, 06:18 PM
Any luck with converting to 12v source form vehicle?

amart425
01-31-12, 02:45 PM
I also have a 96 Seville STS with the P0717 code, I would like to buy a signal amp from you.

mike2k132
07-23-13, 05:34 AM
So can we revive this trend....

Did anyone else get it to work on the 96 deville

Submariner409
10-31-13, 08:46 PM
caro1989, You posted in the wrong forum - your question is not a "Tech Tip" - it is a repair question. Moved to the proper Seville forums.

Go up to Past models, Seville/Eldorado. You will find your thread titled "1995 STS - poor performance with warm engine"

USPIPE
10-15-14, 07:14 PM
I was wondering...i see the diagram...IF the ground should be on the board or to a regular ground? A "picture" of the location of the output sensor/PCM wiring and the "hook up" would be good for us "trying" to be mechanics. :yup: One last thing...WHERE is the best location for this set up?:yup: THANKS!!